Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What are the essential 21st century sci fi novels?

Ministry for the Future by Kim Stanley Robinson.

A novel set in the near future as the world deals with climate catastrophe, the Ministry for the Future is set up to ensure that future citizens of the world still have a habitable Earth. An optimistic novel about how the human race could deal with the climate crisis.

Last new SF I read was Infinity Gate by M R Carey. Its the first in a longer (many worlds) story but v good.

Also new to me and I think to 2023 but v v good indeed Leech by Hiron Ennes

if we say 21st as a whole then theres tons and tone from the 00's I'd recc. Three Body Problem (rememberance of earth past) Cixin Lui's trilogy is 21st c, a magnum opus etc

I'd say the entire series of The Murderbot Diaries is essential reading. Light and entertaining, but done so, so well.
A Memory Called Empire and its follow-up A Desolation Called Peace were great grand space opera.

Perdido Street Station - China Mievelle
Brasyl - Ian McDonald
Great North Road - Peter F Hamilton
Engines of Light trilogy - Ken MacLeod
Revelation Space - Alastair Reynolds
End of the World Blues - John Courtenay Grimwood

I'm on book 3 of the Revelation space series, it's very good.

Also Peter F Hamilton is great, I think I've read all of them...

Are any of the recommendations up there ^ like Iain M Banks? Not sure how to describe the style but you know; massive scope, sex, war, drugs, gadgets, violence, tight plots etc.

Children of Time /Children of Ruin have the massive scope, violence, gadgets, war, tight plots.

Id say Ancillary Justice also ticks most of those boxes. Loved it, must read the other two actually.

Neither are exactly like IMB in style or tone, of course, but they're the ones that sprang to mind in terms of similarities.

Ministry of the future you have covered.

The Murderbot Diaries series by Martha Wells are excellent. A brilliant twist on AI and the like.

Anything by John Scalzi. But the Old Man's War series and the DispatcherTravel by Bullet series are particularly good. Red shirts is pretty funny and better than it needed to be,

Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir, One of the best aliens in fiction.

Dogs of War and Bear head series by Adrian Tchaikovsky are great takes on genetic engineering and consciousness.

All of these are towards the harder end of SF (except the Dispatcher series) and are all great reads as well as being thought provoking,

Last edited:
Reactions: Chz
A couple off the top of my head, very different stories. Blindsight by Peter Watts. And the follow-up. I think Blindsight still free, legitimately so, online. Amazing ideas. Read the notes at the back when done.

Spin, by Robert Charles Wilson. A touching end of the world story.

I’m on the last of the red rising series by Pierce Brown at the moment. they flag a bit in the middle but this one, light bringer, is back on form so far.

Back
Top Bottom