Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What are the essential 21st century sci fi novels?

Aside from the aforementioned KSR, Andy Weir and Emily St John Mandel...

...I quite enjoyed Sea of Rust by C Robert Cargill. Postapocalyptic robot western. Quirky and memorable.

...I quite enjoyed Sea of Rust by C Robert Cargill. Postapocalyptic robot western. Quirky and memorable.

Brilliant sci-fi romp
Don't read the sequel.

Another vote for Adrian Tchaikovsky, especially the Children of Time series as mentioned up-thread. Most recent instalment dropped not long back - book 4 iirc - and the overall arc and scope of the series is fucking incredible.

Becky Chambers, all her stuff, but especially Wayfarers series, hopeful, lefty (and I mean that as a compliment) clever and beautiful - and funny! - sci-fi. Starts as a rag-tag crew romp and then explodes out into something far more clever. Really, really brilliant.

Oh and yes, Ann Leckie. Also brilliant.

Charles Stross, especially Singularity Sky, and follow-up. Lefty space opera, very political also very funny. Excellent.

Becky Chambers, all her stuff, but especially Wayfarers series, hopeful, lefty (and I mean that as a compliment) clever and beautiful - and funny! - sci-fi. Starts as a rag-tag crew romp and then explodes out into something far more clever. Really, really brilliant.
I can definitely see the appeal of her stuff, but it was just a bit too... whatever it is. It started off charming and ended up aggravating me. But that's me being a curmudgeon - I know plenty of people who adore it.

I've really been enjoying the works of N. K. Jemisin, highly recommend.

I'm in two minds of her. The Broken Earth trilogy is one of the most original fantasy series in a very long time; really, really good stuff. But the Great Cities books were decidedly meh and didn't grab me at all.

I'm in two minds of her. The Broken Earth trilogy is one of the most original fantasy series in a very long time; really, really good stuff. But the Great Cities books were decidedly meh and didn't grab me at all.
I liked the personification aspect and the wider place in the universe/alternative view of universe. But as with all writing, it's a matter of taste isn't it. I like Sheri Tepper too and there's a hint/redolence of her writing in Jemisin's which might explain it.

(takes down some notes)

Reading the first book in The Final Architecture trilogy (Shards of Earth) by Adrian Tchaikovsky.....liking it a lot....votes here for Iain Banks and Becky Chambers

M. John Harrison's Light is definitely essential. Need to check if it was published in the 21st century though.

E2a: It was, 2002, so you should buy a copy immediately.

Thank you. I have been too lazy to google it but I have read those and really enjoyed them. Could not remember the name though which is a bit dense.

I can definitely see the appeal of her stuff, but it was just a bit too... whatever it is. It started off charming and ended up aggravating me. But that's me being a curmudgeon - I know plenty of people who adore it.

Fair do's. Each to their own eh?

I finished the Three Body Problem. Was excellent; if not a little bit of a heavy read at times

Reactions: Chz
Back
Top Bottom