Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Great children's novels - a booklist

Trillions by Nicholas Fisk

bit from a review:
'Trillions is a surprisingly complex book for a novel aimed at children. It deals with issues of paranoia and xenophobia that seem, if anything, even more relevant now than they were when the book was written. In 1971, the Vietnam War was at its height and will have been all over TV; the average inquisitive child couldn’t have helped but notice the scary things that were going on in the world. The sense of distrust in the bombastic and unwise choices of the military is palpable in this book and it rings true louder than ever today.'

Trillions by Nicholas Fisk

bit from a review:
'Trillions is a surprisingly complex book for a novel aimed at children. It deals with issues of paranoia and xenophobia that seem, if anything, even more relevant now than they were when the book was written. In 1971, the Vietnam War was at its height and will have been all over TV; the average inquisitive child couldn’t have helped but notice the scary things that were going on in the world. The sense of distrust in the bombastic and unwise choices of the military is palpable in this book and it rings true louder than ever today.'

But if instead of frightening children about wars, you want to instil a lifelong mistrust of grandparents, go for Fisk’s Grinny.

I recall a very strange book by EJ Enright called “The Joke Shop” about a strange shop holding souls in limbo which traps 2 inquisitive children. It features Mr Spock and a German version of Basil Brush (Herr Brush..) as two of their would be rescuers. Read it again fairly recently and it’s as bat shit crazy as I remembered from the 70s if not even more so.

Another really creepy book that stuck with me is “The Satanic Mill” by Ottfried Preussler

Some Dick King-Smith books, like The Sheep-Pig that Babe is based on, would probably already to both ages.

The Worst Witch books are easy readers and great fun.

The Dark is Rising might be good for B - too much for M, I think. 6 and 9 are quite different ages, really.

There are some great recommendations here Thora

The stuff I came here to say has already been said. (Stig of the Dump is a good book!)

Having worked in a Uni English dept. outreach team for a while, my recommendations are;
  • join more than one library if possible - normalises borrowing
  • join a local Uni or College library if you can and take the kids there to normalise visiting these kinds of places (one of the Unis local to us does a free Community membership scheme and has a large selection of kids books)
  • charity shops - normalises 'not new'
  • if you know a few other parents with kids of similar ages try and arrange a book swap if workable - normalises other people's books and being around other people who read and perhaps prompts a few bookish discussions - again - normalises not new and borrowing and other people reading
  • use resources such as the BookTrust website; speak to Librarians and get the kids to do the same; there used to be a book called 'Who Writes Like' available in libraries to enable people to find a writer similar to one you like - there must be a kids version (logically); Amazon (I know) has a resource called Teacher's Picks, you can always borrow/buy elsewhere
  • Book Tokens are still a thing - giving children the choice of a book in a bookshop is magical - they have a couple of competitions running at the mo' to win £100 or £500 or tokens

So Thora, have you had any suggestions for books set in some different historical/geographical contexts and with diverse protagonists which look particularly promising?

The Borribles Trilogy.

Bad Wombles, bad cops, London urban fantasy and just all round thrilling.

It's a shame it's not more well known.
These are great books but way too old for the target kids here. I think I was twelve when I read them. Quite a lot of peril, some swearing etc.

So Thora, have you had any suggestions for books set in some different historical/geographical contexts and with diverse protagonists which look particularly promising?

For that, the Roman Mysteries books might be worth a try because they meet the criteria in full and are a fun read. I think they'd probably be a bit too grown-up for a 6-year-old, but you never know. They'd be fine for the 9-year-old. They do mention slavery, unavoidably, so there's that to bear in mind.

And obvs Horrible Histories etc, but I assume you're all over that already, Thora!

Back
Top Bottom