Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Weird planes

ju88-13.jpg

I love that hand-drawn art style for depicting aircraft. Takes me back to my youth! When I was young my local library had a series of Sampson Low Guides to Aircraft, full of pictures like that, everything a growing eight-year-old needs :cool:

I found one by chance in a charity shop once, remembered how much I loved them, and had a big online splurge for the rest of the nostalgia fest, fortunately they are not rare or valuable!

I love that hand-drawn art style for depicting aircraft. Takes me back to my youth! When I was young my local library had a series of Sampson Low Guides to Aircraft, full of pictures like that, everything a growing eight-year-old needs :cool:

I found one by chance in a charity shop once, remembered how much I loved them, and had a big online splurge for the rest of the nostalgia fest, fortunately they are not rare or valuable!

I'd never thought of that! £13.97 later....

Republic XF-91 Thunderceptor. One persistent problem with early trans-sonic designs was that of wing tip stalls in turns. Republic tried to solve this issue by reversing the normal spanwise gradient of taper and chord so the widest and thickest part of the wing (and hence the most lift) was at the tip. This gave the visual impression that the wings had been attached the wrong way round and on the wrong sides.

XF91-in-flight.jpg

Shame the Lancaster didn't make it to VE day. Aparently she had an engine fire and had to turn back.

They should have used the 5 engined Lancaster IV Mamba test a/c.

pic-lanc-test11.jpg

The Lancaster that is now with the BBMF also used to be a test a/c and, at one point, had a third wing stuck on it by the Aeronautical College at Cranditz to research boundary layers.

pic-lanc-test4.jpg

But there has only been one 'practical' flying car, or roadable (horrible word) aeroplane:
skyrunner.jpg

Yak-40 M602. The original Codling was a product of communism and therefore axiomatically shit. However, I can't believe it was improved by nailing a fourth engine on the front.
1127439.jpg

Genuine question: have you ever actually flown a Sov-bloc aircraft? If so, what was it like?

HESA Saeqeh

Saeqeh-fighter-plane-test-Tehran1.jpg

An amazingly bad Iranian modification of the F-5E that actually made it substantially worse. They added twin vertical stabs, squared off intakes, a spine snapping Russian ejection seat and, for reasons accessible only to Allah and his representatives on Earth, an upside down F-5B radome. To achieve these modifications required the removal of TACAN and fire control systems meaning it's almost useless as a weapons platform. They then finished it off with a Blue Angels paint job. They then built another 12.

Genuine question: have you ever actually flown a Sov-bloc aircraft? If so, what was it like?

Yes, I've flown a Yak-52 which was good fun but very crude. A friend and I once attempted to fly his from Liege to Tallin. The weather turned bad over Poland and we put it down in a field behind a petrol station near Gdansk. Where, as far as I know, it still remains.

Yak52TD01.jpg

I've (briefly) flown an An-12 in the cruise which felt like driving a submarine. It did seem like it would be very strong when it (inevitably) crashed.

76256_1131533623.jpg

I've been in the back seat of a Polish MiG-29U but was instructed not to touch anything if I didn't want to die. It reminded me very much of the EE Lightning. Very fast, short legs, cockpit designed at random and archaic avionics. I recall it had an audible warning system called 'Natasha' which went off a lot with various cryptic messages that either meant nothing to worry about or an engine was on fire. She wasn't really clear.

91dafd7e61147a3f3ed6e172e93f75ce.jpg

I've also done many hours in the cockpits of Il-76s as an uncomfortable and bored passenger.

The MiG-21 is the one I would have loved to try.

Yes, I've flown a Yak-52 which was good fun but very crude. A friend and I once attempted to fly his from Liege to Tallin. The weather turned bad over Poland and we put it down in a field behind a petrol station near Gdansk. Where, as far as I know, it still remains.

Yak52TD01.jpg

I've (briefly) flown an An-12 in the cruise which felt like driving a submarine. It did seem like it would be very strong when it (inevitably) crashed.

76256_1131533623.jpg

I've been in the back seat of a Polish MiG-29U but was instructed not to touch anything if I didn't want to die. It reminded me very much of the EE Lightning. Very fast, short legs, cockpit designed at random and archaic avionics. I recall it had an audible warning system called 'Natasha' which went off a lot with various cryptic messages that either meant nothing to worry about or an engine was on fire. She wasn't really clear.

91dafd7e61147a3f3ed6e172e93f75ce.jpg

I've also done many hours in the cockpits of Il-76s as an uncomfortable and bored passenger.

The MiG-21 is the one I would have loved to try.

Interesting stuff, thanks for that. What would you say accounts for the eerie similarities between the Mig-29 and the EE Lightning, given the rather different circumstances from which they emerged?

Interesting stuff, thanks for that. What would you say accounts for the eerie similarities between the Mig-29 and the EE Lightning, given the rather different circumstances from which they emerged?

The Fulcrum and the Frightening both ended up with similar deficiencies by very different routes. The Lightning was developed from the P.1 research aircraft in which fuel capacity was never a consideration. The P.1 somehow survived the cull of the Sandys report and was therefore the only game in town for the RAF when it came to a Javelin replacement. Although I'm sure nobody ever imagined they would be operating it for 30 years! The MiG-29's endurance issues stem mainly from its horribly ineffecient engines. The design and construction of these engines were constrained by the relatively poor level of Soviet expertise in materials science and mass production.

The shared deficiencies of cockpit ergonomics and systems integration are because the Soviets and British paid very little attention to such matters. They were both obsessed with airframe performance to the exclusion of all other considerations.

But i'm sure the french or Belgiums would and its not like Crab air could catch you.:D

You're going to need to plan this very carefully: the Fulcrum has about 8,000lbs of internal fuel. You'll need ~1,000lb for taxi and take off, say ~2,000lb for a diversion and it necks well over 1,000lb/minute in full AB...

Also, there are no, and I'll wager never will be any, civil reg. reheat a/c in Europe.

Curses foiled again:mad:

Oh well base it in estonia buy and hire a tanker crew and op piss off biggles is back on :D
Its only another $20 million
Low level pass over chequers with typhoons in hot pursuit should througly ruin camerons afternoon :thumbs:
Though a mig 31 might be more suitable and affordable :D

You're going to need to plan this very carefully: the Fulcrum has about 8,000lbs of internal fuel. You'll need ~1,000lb for taxi and take off, say ~2,000lb for a diversion and it necks well over 1,000lb/minute in full AB...

Also, there are no, and I'll wager never will be any, civil reg. reheat a/c in Europe.

Sadly I think you are right, although there used to be some...

2f447ac3aa9e260259a273726ed1701b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom