Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Weird planes

Foot launched glider. I'd love to have a go:

maxresdefault.jpg

Pixels.
Please be pixels...

Looks brilliant. I had a couple of days to kill in Munich a few years ago and I didn't know that was there, missed opportunity. Ah well, next time.

Not quite a plane, more a cruise missile with severe personal hygiene problems. Definitely bonkers though. Project Pluto.

fig0.jpg
fig3a.jpg

Pluto's namesake was Roman mythology's ruler of the underworld -- seemingly an apt inspiration for a locomotive-size missile that would travel at near-treetop level at three times the speed of sound, tossing out hydrogen bombs as it roared overhead. Pluto's designers calculated that its shock wave alone might kill people on the ground. Then there was the problem of fallout. In addition to gamma and neutron radiation from the unshielded reactor, Pluto's nuclear ramjet would spew fission fragments out in its exhaust as it flew by.

http://www.merkle.com/pluto/pluto.html

They actually tested the fission ramjet engine a bit before being given thorazine and jackets with nice long arms to wear ...

Looks brilliant. I had a couple of days to kill in Munich a few years ago and I didn't know that was there, missed opportunity. Ah well, next time.

It is! - You would need a few days to get round the whole place - Its huge, sits on an island in the Isar, just east of the old city.

And the museum has a secondary aviation collection/restoration unit at Schleissheim, not far from the Airport with much more interesting stuff. Notably the Dornier Do 31 prototype VTOL transport plane!

Dornier_Do_31_in_1968.jpg

Where I'll be heading on my next visit! :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deutsches_Museum_Flugwerft_Schleissheim

They actually tested the fission ramjet engine a bit before being given thorazine and jackets with nice long arms to wear ...

IIRC the US got a lot further down the road with nuclear aircraft engines than anyone with any sense would want. The TAN ground-based tests stopped just short of building a flyable model.

And more recently I recall reading that the rise of drones has brought the research interest in nuke engines right back because they can be flown more or less round the clock, with no crews to irradiate.

Its the Deutsches Museum, Munich. The aviation, engineering and technology halls are outstanding! :D
I last went 23 years ago. Do they still have the entire sailing ship in one of the halls?

Edited: scratch that, I think the ship is in the Milan Science Museum. But I now need to go back to Munich.

Last edited:
I last went 23 years ago. Do they still have the entire sailing ship in one of the halls?

Sailing ship, tugboat, salvage from ships of the Hamburg Amerika Line. Higher-up -Bleriot Monoplane, bits of Zeppelin:

16420686473_e72cd92074_h.jpg

Then you turn round and find the first U-Boat sticking through the floor:

16420683243_5a27dd88d0_b.jpg

The rest is in the basement - didn't make it down there.

Also a Lockheed Constellation at the airport itself - entry a whopping one Euro!

And a fair bit of Aviation interest at the BMW Museum plus loads of other stuff I hardly scratched the surface of - And they can fairly party! :eek:

Last edited:
Not a wierd plane in the sense of some of the abominations that have been posted already but just for the technology and when it was designed and still being faster than most fighter jets being built today, it also looks awesome.

avia_052-1024x600.jpg

I've seen the one in New York - well, the A12 - the "unofficial", faster, possibly higher flying, CIA-operated predecessor to the SR-71:

The intrepid is fucking brilliant. Went to see it in January, and my five year old son was permanently gobsmacked for the 4 hours we were there. The USS Growler walkthrough was a definite highlight.

The intrepid is fucking brilliant. Went to see it in January, and my five year old son was permanently gobsmacked for the 4 hours we were there. The USS Growler walkthrough was a definite highlight.

Yes - same here. I'd only ever read about the Greybacks, never expected to see one or a Reglus missile!

5304608841_b2da3241b7_b.jpg

5305201238_753cc8e9b4_b.jpg

Did you go to the Queens Museum of Science? - Its a bit off the beaten track but very child-friendly and also well worth the effort - Plus it has Atlas and Titan missiles:

5307464490_18bee871c9_b.jpg

Yes - same here. I'd only ever read about the Greybacks, never expected to see one or a Reglus missile!

Did you go to the Queens Museum of Science? - Its a bit off the beaten track but very child-friendly and also well worth the effort - Plus it has Atlas and Titan missiles:
Unfortunately no, didn't have the time this trip. I'll be sure to try to fit it in if we get back to New York.

Not quite a plane, more a cruise missile with severe personal hygiene problems. Definitely bonkers though. Project Pluto.

fig0.jpg
fig3a.jpg

http://www.merkle.com/pluto/pluto.html

Worse than that:
Project Pluto was a nuclear-powered ramjet, intended for use in a cruise missile. Rather than combusting fuel as in regular jet engines, air was heated using a high-temperature, unshielded nuclear reactor. The ramjet was predicted to be able to fly for months at supersonic speeds (Mach 3 at tree-top height). However, there was no obvious way to stop it once it had taken off

Last time I was visiting my nan in Cardiff was the NATO thing (yes, a slightly irresponsibly long time ago) and there were Boeing V-22s going overhead. Obviously seen many pics etc, but in real life was oddly striking. A bit dystopian, elements of Terminator or something. It helped that they were (I think) the CV-22 USAF variant and therefore dark and ominous.

CV-22NW.jpg

Back
Top Bottom