Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Weds 1st April: G20 protests - discussion, reaction and chat

Ooh. It appears that they've really upset the IPCC by lying to them now. Jolly good. :)

Nick Hardwick, chair of the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC), called for a national debate over how police maintain public order and demanded much tougher political accountability, warning that police should remember they were "the servants not the masters" of the people.

He is also seeking the necessary resources for the watchdog to conduct more investigations independently from police - as it is doing over the death of Ian Tomlinson, the news vendor who died after being caught up in the G20 protests - and expanding its remit in cases where there is evidence of wider systematic problems.

Hardwick also revealed that the widespread use of mobile phones by protesters to take photographs and video footage of the clashes was providing invaluable evidence.

He suggested that had such footage been available during a violent confrontation between police and Countryside Alliance activists protesting over the hunting ban five years ago the outcome might have been different.

"What's been important with all these pictures is we have got such a wide picture of what happened," he said. "I think that is challenging the police: they have to respond to the fact that they are going to be watched, there is going to be this evidence of what they have done."

Hardwick said that while the IPCC had attempted a number of prosecutions over the Countryside Alliance demonstration these had failed: "We had to go with what the court said but we were very very surprised at some of the verdicts. I don't think this would happen now because there would be all this evidence."

Nice of him to put in some stuff to appeal to the centre-right also. :cool:

10 years of slow building frustration and the creeping terror laws, widening police powers, bogus terror scares, dodgy dossiers taking us to war and the endless pinickety attacks on liberties that have crept into the national culture found a lightening rod in the Tomlinson case that opened up a rich vein of police arrogance.
Only 10 years? Did you just get off the boat?

Climate Camp footage hits the media:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/crime/article6122785.ece

And it seems this isn't the third IPCC investigation:

The man is barged with a shield on the side of his head in the footage, shown on the Sunday Times website.

Scotland Yard said it would be assessed and referred to the Independent Police Complaints Commission if necessary.

The IPCC earlier said it was looking into a third claim of police abuse at the protest.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8005966.stm

I can't see how it's not going to be the fourth :D

Only 10 years? Did you just get off the boat?
No, but that is when the current surge in powers really started with the terrosism act of 2000 of which section 44 is the best known provision. The drum beat of scar mongering and new laws has been relentless over the past 8-10 years.

And it seems this isn't the third IPCC investigation:
Aye your right.

The latest investigation concerns a 23-year-old man who claims to have been assaulted by a Metropolitan police officer in the early evening of 1 April at a police cordon on Cornhill in the City of London, adding to two existing investigations into the death of Tomlinson and claims by a woman activist that she was attacked.

No, but that is when the current surge in powers really started with the terrosism act of 2000 of which section 44 is the best known provision. The drum beat of scar mongering and new laws has been relentless over the past 8-10 years.
Rubbish, are you a Daily Mail reader, as this appears to be Tory apologist toss.

Have you never heard of the Public Order Act 1986, Criminal Justice & Public Order Act 1994, Police Act 1997 (pre-Labour), Protection from Harassment Act 1997 (pre-Labour). And that's without even touching on Tory terror laws.

Rubbish, are you a Daily Mail reader, as this appears to be Tory apologist toss.

Have you never heard of the Public Order Act 1986, Criminal Justice & Public Order Act 1994, Police Act 1997 (pre-Labour), Protection from Harassment Act 1997 (pre-Labour). And that's without even touching on Tory terror laws.

I hope Wayne Rooney's temper is better than yours tomorrow. If not, we'll be down to ten men before the ball's left the centre circle. :(

I'm almost surprised Brown hasn't jumped on this as a way of showing "strong decisive action", "root and branch change" and all the other meaningless soundbites that result in no lasting difference but make him look good.

Except the filth are the lapdogs of their political masters, so I s'pose it ain't surprising at all.

Good article http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2009/apr/19/police-g20-tomlinson-assault

Some telling quotes. For example:
>>-
The IPCC had more than 28,000 complaints against officers in 2007-08. Just over one in 10 were substantiated: the most common complaint was neglect or failure of duty, such as not keeping victims informed, followed by incivility, while 14 per cent complained of assault.

Nick Hardwick, chair of the IPCC, said the typical complainants were middle-class. "If you think the police are all bastards, you don't bother to complain because you think it will get you victimised," said Hardwick. "If you are Mr and Mrs Suburban who have a good view of the police and think they do a good job, and they stop you and swear at you, then you are shocked and you complain." -<<

Fuck me the police are getting a right good kicking in the press again today - I can't ever remember the mainstream papers laying into the police like this before

the press may be landing a few kicks, but the police have armour and aren't finished yet. They'll be going through everything on Youtube as well as their own footage, in preparation for justifying themselves to the inquiry. When they've collated it all, helped by id info from facebook and the 'I was there' posts on threads like this, the raids will start, followed by charges, bail conditions and discrediting of witnesses.

And then maybe pre-emptive arrests in advance of Mayday or whenever. What they did to 114 people a week or two back hasn't roused much interest, and no kicking, they'll learn from that.

I'm almost surprised Brown hasn't jumped on this as a way of showing "strong decisive action", "root and branch change" and all the other meaningless soundbites that result in no lasting difference but make him look good.

Except the filth are the lapdogs of their political masters, so I s'pose it ain't surprising at all.

don't forget that plod raided parliament and arrested a senior tory, mumbling crap about terrorism. Because it's not just street protesters pointing a spotlight at the lapdog, Broon faces the possibility of real political damage if the dots are joined together.

don't forget that plod raided parliament and arrested a senior tory, mumbling crap about terrorism. Because it's not just street protesters pointing a spotlight at the lapdog, Broon faces the possibility of real political damage if the dots are joined together.
Take a look at the Guardian article I linked to in post 2325..... There are lots of dots in there being connected :)

Quote: "The death of Ian Tomlinson, videos of heavy-handed policing at the G20 summit, officers concealing their identity numbers, the Damian Green affair and last week's arrest of more than 100 environmental campaigners are just the latest in a series of troubling incidents that have seen an erosion of public confidence in the police."

Also: "Since Tory frontbencher Damian Green was arrested for handling leaked Home Office documents, he has been inundated with letters from ordinary people with tales of police incompetence, neglect and error, stories of an outraged Middle England, whose faith in the system has been eroded by a brush with the law."

And yet Police Oracle is still full of arrogant, above-the-law, class-sneering comments and desparate attempts to justify their actions, together with self-pitying crap about press distortion and how unfairly they're being treated.

I wasn't ACAB before all this. I've met some who seemed alright, and so hoped it was confined to particular forces/units. But it's not, it's an all-pervading culture, and not one copper has stepped forward to condemn it. So now; ACAB.

Brown will be happy if that sort of thing stays on the pages of the Guardian and doesn't migrate to the Mail and the beeb.

And yet Police Oracle is still full of arrogant, above-the-law, class-sneering comments and desparate attempts to justify their actions, together with self-pitying crap about press distortion and how unfairly they're being treated.

DCI GENE HUNT said:
that bruise looks too harsh to me. looking at the video the strike wouldn't have caused a bruise as bad as that, so i think its self inflicted. i mean, how hard would it be to find the mark where she got hit and whack it with a rolling pin a few times. but perhaps i'm wrong.

I'm sure a flight of stairs would have been a lot easer

This was particularly interesting though

POLICE ORACLE said:
I believe the Met heirachy inflamed and encouraged refractory behaviour by threatening strong policing before the G20 had even started.
Only a few weeks ago a thread was started on this forum regarding a Muslim led protest of the Israel/Palastinian conflict. It was clear for all to see that tactics employed by the Police for that protest were entirely the opposite to this one.
The Goverment enforced a "D" notice on the reporting of Muslim protesters abusing, throwing missiles and causing damage to the American & Isreali embassies and allowing them to do so with weak Policing.
I didn't see any of those protesters shoved to the ground face first or women slapped in the face with baton strikes to the legs for afters.
The Goverment are using the Met and other Forces to dictate to, or appease different sections of society in this country. The Police are serving this Goverment, not the public.

Where was that posted? Anything counter to their prevailing view seems to be removed quite quickly. I got banned for my first post for 'trolling'. Although I stated that they'd lost the public's consent, and weren't recognising the fact, and was a little hostile in tone, it was hardly a swear-ridden flame.

They don't want debate, they just want a pat on the head and a "good dog". DotC got repeatedly shot down and accused of trolling despite maintaining a totally calm and rational stance.

Aye - but methinks a lack of knowledge on what a D (now DA) Notice actually is on that forum and how it works

It's in theory a voluntary thing and should the press choose to ignore the Govt's request there's really no way it can be enforced. Other than seeking an injunction to prevent publication which would mean that whatever is being suppressed sort of gets into the public domain - or rather the knowledge that something is being suppressed gets into the public domain

I guess that an editor who ignored such a request might be prosecuted afterwards or something but ....

More info here http://www.dnotice.org.uk/the_system.htm#purpose

Note that it's also relating to items of National Security

A history of D & DA Notices is here on wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D-Notice

Page 30. Putting my glasses on it appears to be from a different BB and hasn't yet been commented on.

Their ban policy is a complete circle-jerk. Even so much as use the other hand and your out the door. :rolleyes:

Where was that posted? Anything counter to their prevailing view seems to be removed quite quickly. I got banned for my first post for 'trolling'. Although I stated that they'd lost the public's consent, and weren't recognising the fact, and was a little hostile in tone, it was hardly a swear-ridden flame.

They don't want debate, they just want a pat on the head and a "good dog". DotC got repeatedly shot down and accused of trolling despite maintaining a totally calm and rational stance.

different forums. Theres oracle, and a seperate UK police forum

My mistake, i thought it was Oracle.

Is it just me, or has ukpoliceonline put the shutters up and prevented guests from viewing threads now?

I can still view but I'm banned from posting. Not sure if thats the case for non members

Back
Top Bottom