Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Weds 1st April: G20 protests - discussion, reaction and chat

If you want proof of how pivotal the G20 protests might prove to be, check out the front page of the Evening Standard which has a bg picture of a cop with no number on his shoulder, under the caption: "What has he got to hide?".
Maybe I should try to sell them this:
3257070314_5249c47a94.jpg

I really think cops are going to think twice before 'forgetting' to put on their numbers now that the public knows that they are obliged to wear them.

I'd seriously recommend getting in touch.

What the fuck does that cop look like? Why's he masked up?

I saw an interview on the tellynews yesterday with an ex-cop (riot squad trainer iirc) who said the masks were 'fireproof', presumably for protection in the event of petrol bombs etc.

:confused:

I saw an interview on the tellynews yesterday with an ex-cop (riot squad trainer iirc) who said the masks were 'fireproof', presumably for protection in the event of petrol bombs etc.

:confused:
I saw that too. Shame the interviewer didn't follow that up by asking how many officers had been firebombed at peaceful protests recently.

I really think cops are going to think twice before 'forgetting' to put on their numbers now that the public knows that they are obliged to wear them.
i don't...

this is like saying to the thug in a tenament block don't sell any more drugs from your flat... they'll grin and nod and say yes sir thre bags full sir and then completely ignore you, how is anyone supposed to challenge them if they aren't as they will have at least 10 other tooled up mates with them who are all looking for a rumble regardless of your intent the legality of the situation or their actions...

it'll make no difference...

though i guess as simple cost effective and permentantly identifying mark could be applied to their face in say 35 type face with their number it could be once they've joined the force this is their new number tattoted on their face so that even off duty you'd be able to recognise them. this would do wonders for community policing if these goons had their facal tattoo's i mean if drug addicts who are less than responsible but in essence have little responsiblity can be forced off benefits because they are a burden to the state then how are these unidentifiable police not a burnden to the state also by their actions...

face tattoos for all police now...

Maybe I should try to sell them this:
3257070314_5249c47a94.jpg

You should.

Licence to use in one edition only - cos if they use it lots of other papers are going to want to use it.

Not less than £200 for 1/8 page use, £400 for half - maybe much more 'cos that's only double the rate for a very generic stock pic - wait for them to suggest a figure.

Thinking about it - the going rate for a picture of disgraced banker Fred the Shred partying expensively is about £2k and this is as topical as that.

i don't...

this is like saying to the thug in a tenament block don't sell any more drugs from your flat... they'll grin and nod and say yes sir thre bags full sir and then completely ignore you, how is anyone supposed to challenge them if they aren't as they will have at least 10 other tooled up mates with them who are all looking for a rumble regardless of your intent the legality of the situation or their actions...
Except there is now a clear public interest in whether officers choose to hide their numbers or not, as evidenced by the front page of the Standard today and the mass of media attention generated by this issue.

That's the difference - and it's a big difference now.

Has anyone mentioned people being bit by dogs for not getting out the way fast enough.

These two clips look like they've happened one after the other.

Pictures of the wound.

It's interesting that the Police are now saying they in the media a few days ago said that they were trying to prevent disorder that doesn't really ring true, as far as I can tell three RBS windows broken with half hearted attempts of people going inside, HSBC Bank window broken and a handful of burnt rubbish. The later two were as a result of the Climate Camp protest "riot" by the police as the police gave chase through the streets of London.

If they say that there was intent, then there were plenty of other places to do that where then weren't any cops around and strangely enough due to the protesters credit there never was the "wide spread" unrest.

Which kinder suggests that the police had been given a.) over egged intelligence or b.) wanted to show to the world what nasty thing Protesting/ers is, which backfired.

Another interesting point how the Evening Standard gave incorrect information in to regards to the events to one of it's former employee, that a point which is forgotten. see link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Ian_Tomlinson subtitled Initial newspaper reports

I'd seen that first video, but dismissed it as he was being a bit of a prick imo.

But watching it again, the other coppers keep their dogs in check, while that other guy allows his full extension.

Is it the same dog/ handler as in the last video I wonder? (different victim for sure)

11qtvzd.jpg

from here:

http://www.urban75.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=284958&page=63

The dog who bites the guy in the video has the same markings on his neck - a kind of half neckerchief of mottled lighter brown fur. The cop looks similar, but the video isn't clear and the cameraman doesn't seem to have thought about ID shots in all the excitement ... He does appear to be wearing the same style hi viz gear with similar black equipment strapping over the front of the shoulders.

the guy in the last video who goes up to the police line and gets arrested is the same man as is bitten in the first video i think.

he seems to be showing them his wound, when they grab him.

The Sun didn't bother changing their April 2nd report.

"POLICE were battered with beer bottles and cans as they desperately tried to save a dying man at the height of the G20 riots in London last night."

"The casualty, believed to be in his mid-40s, was knocked to the floor amid the mob near the Bank of England."

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article2355955.ece

No surprise there... :rolleyes: I swear that there were a "Don't buy the Sun" slogan painted on to some disused garages near Barking which you could see on the train to work, some small assed sun reported painted over the n't Now it's gone.

HSBC Bank window broken and a handful of burnt rubbish. The later two were as a result of the Climate Camp protest "riot" by the police as the police gave chase through the streets of London.
The HSBC window was broken in the afternoon, while the camp was quiet (almost too quiet.

Anna Branthwaite's testimony has been almost universally ignored by the TV and print media. Let's hope it gives the story more life when they're looking for a new angle. The grauniad have been doing a good job of leading the news agenda on this, so let's see if they try to make the link.

I think one reason these protests will have a very very serious going over is that the authorities really dont want a repeated fiasco while the olympics are in town. And given the merryment during the olympic torch relay last year I can see the police really really really wishing London had not won right about now.

Back
Top Bottom