Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Weds 1st April: G20 protests - discussion, reaction and chat

yawn. is this how your arguments go? Earlier in the thread I have said that the charges on the peaceful dudes was wrong. thanks for bringing that up though.

she was all up in the officers face for want of a better expression. im glad he gave her a smack with his pimp glove and riot attire.

its all so easy for you to watch his actions on youtube and say its wrong.

So? I sometimes deal with angry aggressive people in my job, some of them pissed, some on crack, some psychotic. If I reacted by slapping them, I'd be prosecuted. Why is a copper above the law?

the job, the prevailing situation, his orders, the provokation ? he made a mistake yes, but think of the bigger picture here.

does your job require you to act like riot police? if not, then why draw a comparison to make a point?

another lame posting technique brought by a member of the 20,000+ club

the job, the prevailing situation, his orders, the provokation ? he made a mistake yes, but think of the bigger picture here.

does your job require you to act like riot police? if not, then why draw a comparison to make a point?

My job requires me to deal with difficult people. It's what I'm paid to do. The police are also paid to do this. Why are they above the law?

on this- An unlawful order can be disobeyed. Not that I imagine he was ordered to act with such naked aggression. It's part of the culture IMO. G'ing themselves up to crack some heads and by damn heads will be cracked.

btw, what provocation?

an image of Judge Dredd saying ' I AM THE LAW' flashes through my mind. Especially with the large dude who is the one in trouble here!

got a line of police who are there to hold the line ( I assume thats their tactic here? this was the kettle...? or elsewhere) any oncomers showing agression, trying to encroach the line are smacked back down. No mercy...else you get rushed by the masses. They are outnumbered remember.

Lesson 1 ) Dont spit venom into the face of a big riot copper.

pboi, of course the police are going to use violence against people who defy them. We all know that, it's why they're such a bunch of pricks.

beeb 1 news reporting that this mob are investigating how to police demos in the future.

HM Inspectors of Constabulary are appointed by the Crown on the recommendation of the Secretary of State and, until recently, selection was made exclusively from the ranks of the most senior officers serving in the provincial forces and the Metropolitan Police.

So a body made up of senior cops, with MPS involvement, are going to look at how to make the policing of such things more efficient and effective are they? Must have been an inspired decision by the Home Office, maybe spurred by the Grauniad diary pice pehaps?

Police Professional magazine presumably went to press sharpish after the G20 demonstrations of 1 April. Its headline about the policing of the event - which was codenamed Operation Glencoe - is: "Operation Glencoe makes G20 a success for the MPS [Metropolitan police]".

an image of Judge Dredd saying ' I AM THE LAW' flashes through my mind. Especially with the large dude who is the one in trouble here!

got a line of police who are there to hold the line ( I assume thats their tactic here? this was the kettle...? or elsewhere) any oncomers showing agression, trying to encroach the line are smacked back down. No mercy...else you get rushed by the masses. They are outnumbered remember.

Lesson 1 ) Dont spit venom into the face of a big riot copper.

What provocation?

I do hope somebody with better IT skills than mind is getting a wall of shame of these images. 'Name These Thugs' sounds like a working title.
On the subject of naming:

The Met Censor said:
Hello, this is a message from the Metropolitan Police Service. We respect your right to postings, but on this occassion may we please respectfully request that you kindly remove the organisational chart from this page.

We have received a request from TSG CO20 for it to be removed as it is somewhat out of date, and contains officers names which could compromise their safety.

If you would to talk to a member of the Metropolitan Police Service Territorial Support Group to confirm this request, we would be happy to contact you, directly.

Many thanks indeed.

212.74.97.195 (talk) 08:52, 16 April 2009 (UTC)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Territorial_Support_Group#Organisational_Chart

The Met removed it twice yesterday:
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Territorial_Support_Group&diff=prev&oldid=283960000
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Territorial_Support_Group&diff=prev&oldid=283993774

If the chart disappears from the Wikipedia page, it remains available elsewhere.

Any attempt by MPS to censor the publication of this photograph of an organisational chart is surely doomed to fail*, as would be any attempt to censor publication of photographs, maps, Street View or Google Earth screengrabs showing the location of places such as:

• The TSG5 base on Larkhall Lane SW4 (home to a unit heavily involved in the Climate Camp attack and other G20 police actions, a member of which is the officer who made the deadly assault on Ian Tomlinson);
  • The TSG4 base on Aitken Road SE6 (another unit seemingly involved in the Climate Camp attack and elsewhere)

And so on.

These are not state secrets, nor should they ever be.

* In that interested parties would, no doubt, ensure that copies of the chart remained posted online and send it viral.

Apologies if this has already been posted but here's a link to a page on The Guardian website which, in chronological order, shows the video footage they have received from the public showing police using excessive force or questionable tactics during the G20 demonstrations.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/apr/15/g20-protest-police-videos-catalogue

I didn't think it was possible but it's even more shocking when it's all put together like that :(

Apologies if this has already been posted but here's a link to a page on The Guardian website which, in chronological order, shows the video footage they have received from the public showing police using excessive force or questionable tactics during the G20 demonstrations.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/apr/15/g20-protest-police-videos-catalogue

I didn't think it was possible but it's even more shocking when it's all put together like that :(
I hate to say it, but the Guardian's been doing a fine job on this issue.

Apologies if this has already been posted but here's a link to a page on The Guardian website which, in chronological order
Videos 2 and 3 are in reverse order - this may seem like pedantry, but it's significant when you look at where certain officers are at those times, and in the Tomlinson videos.

Videos 2 and 3 are in reverse order - this may seem like pedantry, but it's significant when you look at where certain officers are at those times, and in the Tomlinson videos.

I don't think it's pedantic at all. Have you made The Guardian aware?

• The TSG5 base on Larkhall Lane SW4 (home to a unit heavily involved in the Climate Camp attack and other G20 police actions, a member of which is the officer who made the deadly assault on Ian Tomlinson);
  • The TSG4 base on Aitken Road SE6 (another unit seemingly involved in the Climate Camp attack and elsewhere)
1TSG, Harrow Road, Paddington Green
3TSG, Grove Road, Chadwell Heath

Back
Top Bottom