Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Weds 1st April: G20 protests - discussion, reaction and chat

article-1166349-04395000000005DC-112_468x286.jpg

Well that does look like a spliff and puff has recently climbed the charts back to class B, so a wholly proportionate police response...

bbc just read out police and ambulance service statement about the man who's died.

essentially says the man had collapsed in the protests, a protester told the police who sent through medics, brought him back behind police lines, police tried to clear his airways, ambulance crew came, but the man had died.

my summary

according to sky a 30 year old man died at around 7.30pm this evening near the BofE.

the smear campaign is up and running, they're saying they were pelted with bottles when they tried to take him away.

Was just watching BBC, presenter quite hesitant.

But yes, the police line of the man stopping breathing, outside their cordon, they tried to get him within their cordon for safety lol but were pelted with bottles. They tried to revive him. Ambulance service statement too.

It's on again now :(

i wouldn't believe a single word they tell us right now.

a man has died and the police complaints commission are investigating - may just be routine, maybe not.

ambulance people got 999 call 7.06pm apparently

at the very least this has got to call into question this kettling tactic

Hope I'm not being over-optimistic here, but have the police shot themselves in the foot today with this RBS fiasco? A senior policeman on More4 News confirmed there were officers inside RBS when the windows were broken - which solves the mystery of why they weren't boarded up - and that two people were arrested for it.

So what will their defence be at their trial? That the police planned in advance to provoke them by unlawfully penning them in, right in front of a target which the public are quite rightly enraged by. Talk about provocation.

Plus the police had arranged for the target to be undefended (unlike all the other buildings in the area) so they could hide a FIT team in there. Surely that's also a mitigating factor? Any insurance company would say the police were partly responsible for the damage.

Who knows what else about the police operation today will come to light when they have to answer questions from the window-breakers' lawyers in court?

No way will the lads get ten years, as some trollcunt suggested a few posts back.

We should all go to their trial for a huuuuuge peaceful demo against police brutality and abuse of their powers.

btw, has there been any mention on urban about 10 space hijackers being nicked earlier in the day for 'impersonating a police officer'?

earlier

indymedia again

fucking ridiculous charge if that's true... hope they're all doing ok, sure they'll be fine because they're generally fairly sorted IME.

so that's 10 of the 24 arrests:rolleyes:
11 actually. There were 11 Space Hijackers.

police dragging people from climate camp live on bbc #imcg20 any one in london near with cameras would i guess be of use?

All this adds up to one of the most disproportionate police responses I've seen in a long while.

Let's hope the officers are made accountable for their actions and that some strong legal challenges emerge from the treatment of the protesters.

22:48 - About 2000 people in Climate Camp Kettle, police want to impose a section 14 and ID everyone. They're looking to force people out through the North two at a time. There are police massing at the South End, Due to the amount of campers that does currently not seem feasible
indymedia again

police dragging people from climate camp live on bbc #imcg20 any one in london near with cameras would i guess be of use?
but they're probably middle class so they probably wouldn't matter eh?

can you at least begin to see that there was an awful lot of frustration about an awful lot of things going on today? and i saw an awful lot of angry people down there. who could have been better organised and better informed and all kinds of things.

but at least they were there. think about it.

...Apparently the newspapers will be running pictures of the violent protesters, and CCTV operators are working over time. One CCTV operator has just told me, that CCTV can follow most protesters to the moment they put their key in their door, masks or no masks.
Some are going to end up doing long, long, jail time...
Fine - in which case all the footage of what the police have been doing to people will not be deleted and will be subject to the same legal scrutiny...

...ie don't hold your breath. All the relevant CCTV cameras will develop mysterious 'faults' as soon as anyone wants to see the footage of police beating people for no reason.

You and your 'friend' are living in fantasy land.

but they're probably middle class so they probably wouldn't matter eh?

can you at least begin to see that there was an awful lot of frustration about an awful lot of things going on today? and i saw an awful lot of angry people down there. who could have been better organised and better informed and all kinds of things.

but at least they were there. think about it.

Yes agreed and i have said in public respect due to them this time round, no matter the class the police have gone right over the top and a man dead we need to focuss on what is happening right now, ive been up from 5am updateing not giveing a shit on the issue of class:

All this adds up to one of the most disproportionate police responses I've seen in a long while.
Looks like.

Funny how the police complain of being short-handed, but thousands of officers can magically be spared for high-profile situations like this.

This surely demonstrates that not only do "anti-terrorism" powers fail to keep ordinary people secure, they put them in danger from adrenaline-charged coppers.

Nothing on Liberty's site about campaigning to ban "kettling" and abolishing that stupid photography law. To be fair I guess they deserve a few days.

Let's hope the officers are made accountable for their actions and that some strong legal challenges emerge from the treatment of the protesters.

i) officers are accountable for their actions, and will - if they have done anything wrong - be held accountable for this demonstration;
ii) there has been ample violence directed at police today, who after all did not start off in riot gear.

where to said:
at the very least this has got to call into question this kettling tactic

Not really - kettling is far safer than the alternative, which is to run about fighting all over the place. We know nothing of the circumstances of this mans death at this stage.

Back
Top Bottom