Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Washing up bowls

What do you think of washing up bowls?

• Absolutely love them, great place to leave the dishes until I have time to wash them next week

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Dishwasher used here.
However, I do have a bowl in the sink for doing some washing up when needed. The bowl protects the sink / contents from damage, and allows rinse by tap ...

Second however, washing up bowls do need keeping clean &/or replacing quite often.

Which reminds me, the one at work is due replacement as the slobs there can't keep anything clean - not even their own tea mugs.

Mostly use the dishwasher but have a washing up bowl for occasional use. No problems storing it as it sits upside down on the drainer.

If soapy water is good at cleaning your pots then it should also clean the washing up bowl. :hmm:

We have no washing up bowl. Some washing up happens in the sink. Most goes through the dish washer. But a bowl would be handy as a bedside vomit catcher on those occasions one is necessary. It’s been a bit Heath Robinson when one’s been needed.

I wish I did have one, as I've chipped the sink extensively by not using one. Also the plug leaks and all the water runs away, whereas it would be retained within a bowl.

We do have lots of plastic bowls of various sizes but they mostly get used for washing veg or laundry.

I think they're a waste of time tbh. But then I do my dishes under running water. I would save the water for plants but then I have water butts for that. While here in the UK, my washing machine is connected to the same waste pipe as my kitchen sink so I like to run plenty through it to keep it flushed out. Back home in nz we are not on a meter and have an abundance of wet stuff so that doesn't bother me either. Just another thing to wash. Like wearing pants under your shorts. No neeeeeed.

Mostly use the dishwasher but have a washing up bowl for occasional use. No problems storing it as it sits upside down on the drainer.

If soapy water is good at cleaning your pots then it should also clean the washing up bowl. :hmm:

It's just sat there on your drainer permanently? :eek:

No bowl, sometimes improvise one with a bigger pan to soak some bits that need it while I do lighter stuff first.
Yes. Cutlery goes into the saucepan with boiling water. Everything else is with cold running unless raw meat has been involved which is like, once a fortnight.

I think that the bowl makes sense, saving water is good. After some kitchen work at a protest camp I got over the yuck factor and gave it a go at home.

However, it got grubby so fast that I ended up washing it after every dish load, which added a considerable amount of work. Also, my sink drainage is not amazing at the best of times and blocking it with a bowl is just asking for trouble (as is emptying a bowl-ful of water at once). So, no. I handwash, my partner uses the dishwasher.

We have a dishwasher. Our plastic bowl is used more for when we need a big bowl of water for washing cat sick or similar!

Washing up bowl here because things get chipped in the sink and I can still pour liquid away still without having to pull the plug. It gets cleaned after tea and 'aired' overnight ready for the next day.
I use the dishwasher to store my baking tins in.

I do have one. I use it when washing up things that don’t go in the dishwasher, to keep ‘washing up’ separate to ‘other sink things that aren’t so clean’. Having said that, at the moment it is on its side in the sink next to a stack of pans and dishes that have been soaking for a day, all of which are sitting in a film of oil and tea-leaves

• Sad
Reactions: Cid
I recently got one of those Joseph Joseph bowls that has a twist plug in the bottom. I love it. Before I had the same problem ad moose
the plug leaks and all the water runs away, whereas it would be retained within a bowl.
And my sink is manky and this bowl hides that reality

I recently got one of those Joseph Joseph bowls that has a twist plug in the bottom. I love it. Before I had the same problem ad moose

And my sink is manky and this bowl hides that reality
I don't think I've seen the Joseph ones, will have a look!

Washing up bowl here because things get chipped in the sink and I can still pour liquid away still without having to pull the plug. It gets cleaned after tea and 'aired' overnight ready for the next day.
I use the dishwasher to store my baking tins in.

Tempted to start a thread on whether people have dishwashers that they don't use for washing dishes. But I shall restrain myself.

While here in the UK, my washing machine is connected to the same waste pipe as my kitchen sink so I like to run plenty through it to keep it flushed out.
Wouldn't all the water from the washing machine keep the pipe flushed out? :hmm:

Reactions: Cid
I prefer the bowl gets manky than the sink. Also we can put bowl in dishwasher.
This, Got a Lakeland one with a plug / drain thing in it. Every couple of weeks put it through the dishwasher.

Back
Top Bottom