Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Reccomend me a washing machine 2024

We bought one new when we moved into the old place so about seven years old and it's been brilliant, in use pretty much daily with two young kids, Chinese brand called Little Swan which is now part of Midea.

I hope as a Miele owner you don't find me impertinent but might you share what these "issues" are, for the benefit of us mere mortals?
Simply thinking back to another thread where I was critised for using a company that was once a nazi sympathiser.

Simply thinking back to another thread where I was critised for using a company that was once a nazi sympathiser.

Wiki has a different take, but hey. It's miele for us.

I can find nothing on Wikipedia about Bosch being sympathetic to the Nazis. The company would have been compelled to switch production to support the war effort and the same went for Miele.

Apparently while doing so:
Meanwhile, Bosch secretly supported the resistance against Adolf Hitler, and together with his closest associates saved victims of Nazi persecution from deportation

Seriously?
A section heading
"Nazi collaboration"
Collaboration under duress isn't the same as being sympathetic.

From just above that section:
The year 1933 marked the beginning of the darkest chapter in Bosch's corporate history. On the one hand, the company was systemically relevant as a motor vehicle supplier during the Nazi era, and the management behaved loyally toward the regime. On the other hand, with Robert Bosch's support, the company supported oppositional and anti-regime activities with the utmost secrecy

I can find no reports of Miele supporting the resistance in any way so I trust you will be returning your washing machine immediately.

When I had a Hotpoint the Spin Doctor, said I know what's wrong but they make them as a welded unit with nothing repairable. I asked what brands are best last longest he said Miele or Bosch. They manufacture spare for 10 years after the models are discontinued. Can't afford the Miele but we bought a Bosch and it's been great.

Go for a Bosch.

I got a Bosch washing machine some time late 2020 and no problems with it so far, but it may still be counting down until the guarantee runs out.

Previous was a zanussi which waited until the guarantee ran out then gave up - replacing the whole drum (since you can't just replace the bearings) would have cost more than an equivalent new replacement.

:mad:

My own Bosch celebrates its tenth birthday this year, and is still going strong with no problems at all. Being in a hard-water area, I’ve been very disciplined about using those anti-limescale tablets with every wash.

Whatever you go for, choose a good quality manufacturer but stick to a simpler model machine - with a simpler machine, there are fewer things that can go wrong.

I've inherited an elderly Bosch washer dryer. TBF the dryer aspect isn't effective anymore but it still washes ok - it must be at least 15 years old. Before we moved here I also had a Bosch, and I was very happy with that. It was able to cope with large loads and the extra fast spin function meant that washing dried very quickly.

Right, not exactly appropriate for this thread, but could end up being...any idea wtf this is in the filter of my mum's washing machine and how bad is the prognosis?

Not the door seal, that looks ok, and besides is it's a hard plastic

PXL_20240512_110135014.jpg

PXL_20240512_110148437.jpg

PXL_20240512_110200752.jpg

Looks like something is de-laminating!

Ta, hive mind

I had to get MDK1 to pull the washing machine out, as was quite wedged cus the the work top has warped somewhat. Neither me or fella could manage it. But MDK1 is a mountain of a man and a furniture removal sevant.

It's coming on the 6th.
Bosch series 4. £499 plus recycling and installation. £519 in total.

I am 54 and this is my first ever brand new washing machine.
Burly younger males are an asset to any family if we need owt heavy moving Mrs Q always delegates the task to Son and one or both of the Son-in-Laws rather than me.
It's a bit late now but I would put in a vote for a Bosch when we had the extension built in 2004 all the kitchen and utility room appliances were Bosch and we still have most of them only the washing machine and the dishwasher have been replaced since.
That said the Hoover washing machine we bought 5 years ago is still going fine.

It had almost 5 whole stars and had been reviewed by 808 people. I actively avoided anything "smart" tbh not even keen on touch screen . I find a big knob is best and have gone for that.
There were studies done into this. Apparently, on average, women prefer a big knob, while men prefer buttons. It's the reason most washing machines still have big knobs, despite the fact they're more expensive to manufacture whilst doing the exact same thing as buttons do. It's because it's still expected that women will be in charge when buying the washing machine. Presumably because they'll be the one using it.

I agree about the knobs on.

Recently had to get a new washing machine and wouldnt you know, about a month later the dryer died so forked out for a dryer.
I opted for Indesit for both.
They were around the €800 total if I recall correctly.

The dryer is fantastic. Fastest ever dryer I've ever used. 30 mins at high and all is dry.
Washer is great. Couple of knobs..one for time and one for temperature another for revs and a big one for types of wash.

20240512_142624.jpg

Just got a new Samsung washing machine - the most musical one we’ve ever had. It plays a bit of Schubert when it’s finished. 😎
We've got a Samsung dishwasher when it finishes it pops open the door and plays a very musical tinkle to attract your attention whereas the Bosch it replaced was very Germanic it made a very stern sounding beep that was all "I have finished UNLOAD ME NOW SCHNELL!"

Back
Top Bottom