Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Reccomend me a washing machine 2024

We've got a Samsung dishwasher when it finishes it pops open the door and plays a very musical tinkle to attract your attention whereas the Bosch it replaced was very Germanic it made a very stern sounding beep that was all "I have finished UNLOAD ME NOW SCHNELL!"
My Indesit just beeps.

The great thing about the Bosch model we have is it has a speed wash function. Means you can do a really hot cotton wash and it doesn't take three hours.
My (bought new) Bosch has a 15 minute 30° quick-speed wash, which I use for most of my clothes, tbh.

I work in an office and I haven't yet got back into gardening this year, so my clothes don't really get dirty. I use minimal non-bio detergent and don't use fabric conditioner, because I just want to freshen them up a bit really as they don't need a really good washing.

Towels and bedding I wash on a proper full-cycle though.

The one thing that does annoy me about this washing machine is that it doesn't have a 'spin-only' cycle; it's got a 'rinse & spin' and a 'drain'.

With my previous second-hand washer-dryer, there was a separate spin cycle, which I used to use after handwashing and rinsing delicates.

I would buy another Bosch, I've had this about 10 years and it's still going strong. 🪵 * Touches wood * I'm in a soft water area, which probably helps.

ETA: And it also has a speed button to cut down the time of the hotter longer cycles.

Last edited:
We've got a Samsung dishwasher when it finishes it pops open the door and plays a very musical tinkle to attract your attention whereas the Bosch it replaced was very Germanic it made a very stern sounding beep that was all "I have finished UNLOAD ME NOW SCHNELL!"
And right on cue, my Bosch washer just bleeped aggressively at me from the kitchen.

Aaand as some of you may know from other threads, my trusty 10 year old Hotpoint caught fire yesterday and was carted off by the fire brigade :eek:

I can't really afford one of the best recommended brands, I'm shopping for a budget one but want A rated energy efficiency.
Was looking at this one, I've got a Hisense telly that I am very pleased with, didn't know they did washing machines until just now - any thoughts?

Aaand as some of you may know from other threads, my trusty 10 year old Hotpoint caught fire yesterday and was carted off by the fire brigade :eek:

I can't really afford one of the best recommended brands, I'm shopping for a budget one but want A rated energy efficiency.
Was looking at this one, I've got a Hisense telly that I am very pleased with, didn't know they did washing machines until just now - any thoughts?

I know nothing about Hisense but I did buy my washing machine (Hotpoint) and dishwasher (Samsung) off AO and was very happy with their service so it's not like you're buying out of some lockup somewhere. They delivered them, fitted them and carted away the packaging and the old ones though of course you do pay for those services.

I know nothing about Hisense but I did buy my washing machine (Hotpoint) and dishwasher (Samsung) off AO and was very happy with their service so it's not like you're buying out of some lockup somewhere. They delivered them, fitted them and carted away the packaging and the old ones though of course you do pay for those services.

Yeah also there's an issue of I'm at the top (2nd floor) of a lo-rise block with no lifts. AO charge through the nose for delivery of small goods (I wonder if they have to register as a delivery/courier firm as their main business, much like some furniture stores are registered as credit brokers instead of furniture retail) - but for large goods it's worthwhile because they tend to send a 2 person delivery crew - and as it's "at the discretion of the team" whether they deliver above the first floor, they do allow you to specify that when ordering appliances and by all accounts because it is a paid delivery service they are more likely to oblige - or so I've heard anyway.

Yeah also there's an issue of I'm at the top (2nd floor) of a lo-rise block with no lifts. AO charge through the nose for delivery of small goods (I wonder if they have to register as a delivery/courier firm as their main business, much like some furniture stores are registered as credit brokers instead of furniture retail) - but for large goods it's worthwhile because they tend to send a 2 person delivery crew - and as it's "at the discretion of the team" whether they deliver above the first floor, they do allow you to specify that when ordering appliances and by all accounts because it is a paid delivery service they are more likely to oblige - or so I've heard anyway.
Both of my appliances came in a big truck (in AO livery) with a 2 man crew

hmm

what happens if the discretion of the crew is 'nope'?

do they charge you to take it back? do they leave it on the first floor landing? does a modest and off the books amount of folding money help them change their mind?

i've had no problems getting washing machines delivered but i'm only in a first floor flat. i've gone with john lewis (twice now) and after you took the add-ons that others charge for, don't think they were (at that time) more expensive.

hmm

what happens if the discretion of the crew is 'nope'?

do they charge you to take it back? do they leave it on the first floor landing? does a modest and off the books amount of folding money help them change their mind?

i've had no problems getting washing machines delivered but i'm only in a first floor flat. i've gone with john lewis (twice now) and after you took the add-ons that others charge for, don't think they were (at that time) more expensive.
Pretty sure they all have first floor clauses these days - wasn't the case last time I had an appliance delivered!
I've searched specifically for that but it's difficult to find info.
If they leave it on the first floor we can probably get it up the stairs but will want a refund on the installation fee ofc.

I had an issue with Currys for our recently deceased washing machine - I'd paid for the disconnect/installation/recycle package - they pulled out the washing machine that had been there for the previous 10 years, found a skeletal mouse under it (no shit sherlock, we live in a block of flats and it was under an appliance that had been there for a decade) and they fucked off saying it was unsafe working conditions and leaving both the old and new washing machines in the middle of the kitchen floor - which obvs in a London flat is most of the space in a kitchen, I couldn't get to the sink or the cooker. I got a refund on the extras I'd paid for in that instance, but I won't go with Currys again.

I've ended up going with an Indesit from the cheap as chips end of the range, it has a 35 minute quickwash (which is important as we used that setting a lot on the old one) and pretty good reviews - we really can't afford anything fancy!
Finding out that it now costs over a tenner per load at the laundrette forced my hand, if this one manages 22 washes we'll have saved money.

My dad is bringing his heavy duty sack barrow up (I only have a lightweight foldup one for lugging medium sized bits and pieces home from freecyclers), between the 3 of us we should be able to manage it if they refuse to deliver all the way, I've put all the details in our order and have also let them know that we both have phsyical disabilities, hopefully they will take mercy on us - they have all the info in advance at least.

Back
Top Bottom