Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Veggie/vegan Burns Supper haggis alternatives

iona

idle and disorderly
It's Burns Night this week and I've somehow offered to do a supper at the weekend for a load of people. There's at least one vegan coming and most of the others are either vegetarian or don't eat meat that's not chicken. The meat-free haggises from the local butcher are fully vegan and I've been told they're really good (Orkney isn't especially veggie-friendly but someone in the shop admitted they actually prefer these ones to the meat version now - after they'd shouted an alarmed "that's vegetarian!" warning across the shop when I first picked one up :D) but I suspect at least one person is going to either not like the veggie haggis or refuse to even try it, so I want to provide an alternative but lacking inspiration atm.

Vegan would be great but not essential as it's some of the vegetarians/only-chicken eaters that are most likely to be fussy. I'll be doing the standard neeps and tatties, some combination of cabbage/kale/leeks/peas, and also yorkshire puddings - including vegan ones if I can find a recipe that works well - because there's a Dutch person coming who's never tried Yorkshire pudding before and that obviously needs fixing. So looking for something that would work well with those, ideally not too fiddly as I'll be mostly using an unfamiliar aga type cooker.

Your suggestions please :)

I'm slightly alarmed about the haggis/Yorkshire pudding fusion thing. :eek:

(Loads of people that eat meat prefer veggie haggis IME cos of the guts and God knows what stuff in standard haggis.)

Seconding the veggie sausages. You're already going to enough effort and some veggie sausages are, heh, bangin'.

(Loads of people that eat meat prefer veggie haggis IME cos of the guts and God knows what stuff in standard haggis.)

It's mostly about the spices, isn't it? Guess that means it transfers well to a veggie format.

Just do some veggie sausages. Veggie haggis is bloody lovely though.
Thought about that but one of the vegetarians is also really fussy about certain processed foods. I could probably keep them happy with cheese though... :hmm:

What vegetarian/vegan sausages are good and available from Tesco's or Lidl?

Pretty sure I've eaten haggis inside a pie inside a Yorkshire pudding :D

I was going to start making my own haggis when I was living down south and could get free offal from the farm where I sometimes helped out.

• Wow
Reactions: Sue
Thought about that but one of the vegetarians is also really fussy about certain processed foods. I could probably keep them happy with cheese though... :hmm:

I was going to start making my own haggis when I was living down south and could get free offal from the farm where I sometimes helped out.
If you can get the Tesco own brand herby bangers those are pretty decent imo, and reasonably priced. The Richmond ones are also quite good. Extensive discussion on the subject here. I was going to say Empire Biscuits must be veggie but thinking of it the jelly tot might have gelatine in.

Cauldron sausages are the best veggie (though not vegan) sausages.

I love veggie haggis though - if I was in your situation, not sure I'd bother offering an alternative. Though you could do some sort of veggie chilli, might just about work with the yorkshire pud?

FWIW, one of my FB friends was complaining about a vegetarian haggis recipe she'd been following and everyone piled in praising McSween's veggie haggis (which happens to be vegan but may count as HPF) with even carnivores saying they preferred it. I haven't tried either myself, so the meat version may be setting a low bar, but here's the link.

You could make your own veggie burgers if you want to go all-out (much easier than sausages).

Almost everyone likes Richmond veggie sausages. They're the ones I serve when meat-eaters are here and having a full English.

If you can get the Tesco own brand herby bangers those are pretty decent imo, and reasonably priced. The Richmond ones are also quite good. Extensive discussion on the subject here. I was going to say Empire Biscuits must be veggie but thinking of it the jelly tot might have gelatine in.
Yeah, the ones I bought recently did. Already sorted there though, gonna do a (vegan) clootie dumpling and maybe cranachan too for the weird dried fruit haters.

FWIW, one of my FB friends was complaining about a vegetarian haggis recipe she'd been following and everyone piled in praising McSween's veggie haggis (which happens to be vegan but may count as HPF) with even carnivores saying they preferred it. I haven't tried either myself, so the meat version may be setting a low bar, but here's the link.
Not tried them myself but I've heard the macsween ones are good, yeah. One of the butchers here does a vegetarian haggis that's meant to be great too though and I've already bought theirs.

Lidl actually do some very good own brand vegan sausages in the chiller. Vemondo? Some shops seem to stock them and some not but you might get lucky in veganuary. They're quite beany rather than fake meaty for people who don't like the latter.

either vegetarian or don't eat meat that's not chicken.
Surely both of these groups' criteria can be satisfied with a vegan haggis?

Also, haggis basically is a sausage, so a vegeterian haggis is already a sausage. There's not a need to supply further types of vegetarian sausage.

I don't think you need to provide a further alternative. You're already being accommodating enough. That's my opinion.

I love a good haggis and am lucky enough to have a prize winning butcher near me. But when I was in Spain I made my own using this recipe. Vegan haggis recipe | BBC Good Food

I used a lot of extra pepper, I like mine peppery.

As for McSweens vegetarian haggis, I avoid them like the plague. They're OK but they seem to be a tourist's idea of a haggis rather than a proper peppery one. But they're readily available and popular even here.

I've just started looking for haggis today and in first supermarket I checked there were no proper (ie meat) haggis, but three McSween's veggie ones, so I may yet end up sampling one of these.

I've just started looking for haggis today and in first supermarket I checked there were no proper (ie meat) haggis, but three McSween's veggie ones, so I may yet end up sampling one of these.
:eek::(

Between my fridge and freezer right now I have meat haggises from three different local butchers, as well as the veggie ones.

:eek::(

Between my fridge and freezer right now I have meat haggises from three different local butchers, as well as the veggie ones.
I haven't really started an exhaustive search yet. We won't be having our Burn's Supper until Saturday.

I'd be surprised if local butchers in this part of North London stock haggis, but I'm sure I'll find some at one of the larger supermarkets.

Vegetarian or vegan haggis is preferable to the meat version anyway. But some good veggie sausages will always be appreciated I think.

My dad hated haggis having been for ed to eat it as a kid and vowed his own children would not be forced. This he easily accomplished by describing in great detail as only a dad can do, the ingredients of a haggis. Neither me nor my brothers will eat a meat haggis, although two of us will eat the veggie version.

Reactions: Chz
Back
Top Bottom