Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Veggie food for meat eaters

Thora

Differently Ethical
Especially kid friendly stuff - my kids like processed meat products :D

We've been low meat/pescetarian for a while but giving up ham, bacon, sausages etc has been a sticking point.
Since Christmas we've been trying various products, some more successfully than others.

So far winners have been:
Quorn burgers
Quorn chicken nuggets (also use quorn chicken pieces for curry/stirfry)
Quorn pepper & spinach chicken slices

Richmond sausages
Linda McCartney sausage rolls

Gosh cocktail sausages

Things that haven't gone down so well:
Jackfruit (they didn't hate it so might just need to find the right recipe)
Quorn ham
Quorn mince

Has anyone found good substitutes for bacon, ham or mince? Or any other suggestions?
Also a nice nut roast or roast dinner food?

That tofu is nice, they'd never know (I don't have kids, can you tell?), they stock it in Tesco here so it's easy to find too.

My wife had a Lidl vegan chicken flavour burger. It was awful. The taste and texture were totally unpleasant. Don't bother with them. The other ones are ok.

The Quorn Roast is pretty good. My partner is vegetarian and introduced me to this. I like it so much I happily eat it on a Sunday roast. I can honestly say that if someone gave you a bit and told you it was chicken, you'd believe them. You'd be suspicious after a few more bites but it's tasty and has a good texture.

Quorn nuggets are really good as well. I like them better than chicken nuggets because they are tasty and eating them feels a lot less "filthy" than eating cheap-ass chicken nuggets. The Southern Fried ones are particularly good.

ETA: you've already mentioned the Quorn nuggets.

Aldi has got quite the range of veggie and vegan bits. I have to moderate my consumption of their no meat ready to eat sausage rolls. Little Willies are good. Not found decent ham or bacon subs yet. There's a vegan thread in sub75 that might be of use. I do bake tofu until fairly hard and my brain just about lets it pass for chunks of roast belly pork in texture terms.

You might not have the time or inclination, but I've found home made glamorgan sausages go down well. You can prep a big bunch then freeze for when you want to use them.

All the facon I've tried hasn't been all that, but in a sarnie, with sauce, it isn't awful. My go to alternative for bacon is thinly sliced tempeh fried in soy sauce.

I've not tried them, but I've heard people speak highly of fishless fingers

Haven't had them for a long time but when I was a student I used to eat a lot of the Quorn scotch eggs. They're quite small so they're nice for a little snack.

There are some amazing plant-based burgers now, I got some from Aldi last year and were truly delicious. I reckon they could have easily fooled a meat eater.

The Tivoli hotdogs and similar things are very good, and there are some great "chicken" nuggets out there as someone else mentioned. I've also got a lot of time for Greggs' vegan sausage roll.

Soya/Quorn mince in a thick tomato sauce is pretty much indistinguishable from beef mince, just don't tell anyone ;)

As for things not pretending to be processed meat products, portabello mushrooms are not far from chicken wings when done right...at least in my mind they're not anyway :D

You might not have the time or inclination, but I've found home made glamorgan sausages go down well. You can prep a big bunch then freeze for when you want to use them.

All the facon I've tried hasn't been all that, but in a sarnie, with sauce, it isn't awful. My go to alternative for bacon is thinly sliced tempeh fried in soy sauce.

I've not tried them, but I've heard people speak highly of fishless fingers
Glamorgan sausages are great

Years ago(early 90s) I lived with vegans, thinly sliced smoked tofu shallow fried made a good bacon butty substitute.

Heck do different "sausages" that are green etc
Loads of stuff in sainsbury's yesterday, even richmond doing vegan sausages now

Definitely or red cabbage, piccalilli, pickled onion or pickled red cabbage 😋. We can’t get Caerphilly easily here but I use Wensleydale or cheddar if I don’t have that.
You've made me crave them now and I'm trying to reduce my cheese habit

Reactions: ash
I have very little experience of meat substitutes but I use H&B soy mince for making chilli and it works pretty well in my view.

Inspired by this I tried the Quorn steak and gravy pies I had in the freezer. The actual meat substitute part was fine, but there was a slight bitter aftertaste and too much pepper for my taste.
I didn’t like the pastry either, though I expect that wasn’t because it was veggie. It was just really hard, which isn’t my preference at all.

Back
Top Bottom