Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

VAR and the Premier League

Wonder if there is a quick change planned or for the next season?

I dont think its a quick change more a case of reiterating what they see as the principles of good practice in VAR. The Dutch who invented the bloody thing were aghast at last weeks decisions. I'm still for scrapping it but that looks unlikely , as a fall back I'd advocate refs making the decision on pitch side monitors ie quick look nothing clear and obvious check and no more Mike Riley drawing fucking lines like an obsessed stoned dot to dot fanatic.

When managers and players have a five-minute rant at match officials "That was NEVER offside weren't you even looking at him, he was a mile behind that defender, that's just rubbish you've cost us the game here ...." and VAR shows it was indeed offside the officials should be allowed a five-minute rant back "See it WAS offside wasn't it, yes I was looking at him and he was a full yard in front of that defender if you're such a rubbish manager you don't deserve to win ..."

I appear to have entered this discussion earlier, but to reiterate

Video refs causes very little problem in rugby, because it's shown on the big screen, and people can hear the discussion. why doesn't football learn from that?
Whatever happened to "clear and obvious error? If VAR can't spot the offside in a couple of views, it's not offside. None of this one millimetre computer calculated bollocks.
Football needs VAR to stop cheating, which happens a lot in football.
The handball rule is also shit at the moment.

I appear to have entered this discussion earlier, but to reiterate

Video refs causes very little problem in rugby, because it's shown on the big screen, and people can hear the discussion.
why doesn't football learn from that?

Because not all football grounds have big screens??? :facepalm:

Football needs VAR to stop cheating, which happens a lot in football.

and never happens in Rugby :hmm: just men who stick their fingers in each others arseholes to get an edge in the tackle :rolleyes:

Anyway no cheating or Var tonight and the game was much better for it.

Because not all football grounds have big screens. :facepalm:

and never happens in Rugby :hmm:

Anyway no cheating or Var tonight and the game was much better for it.
I don't have the advantage of Sky tv so didn't watch the game.
All premiership grounds have big screens, don't they?

Yes of course there is cheating in all team sports, but when Reading first got promoted to the premiership, the one thing I learnt very early, from sitting behind the goal, was that the only thing premiership defenders were better at than championship defenders, was cheating. England defenders in red shirts mainly.

(actually it was fine when Ferdinand was playing for England, just not when he was playing for man U)

fair play!

(whenever I've tried that sort pf thing my pc has ended up under attack from all sorts of shit, so I don't bother now!)

They check everything and decided not enough to give penalty for
I'm referring to the painful stoppage time incurred by the decisions. At anfield where there is no screen the time where the game is stopped for VAR can be rediculous some times. Anyway like I said, albeit not very clearly, there were no stoppages for slide-rule-fuckwittery and the game was all the better for it ;)

failed experiment, should be scrapped completely.
I don’t think it has failed generally. The VAR, for whatever reason, decided not to overrule last night’s decisions. Without VAR, all those incorrect decisions would have still been incorrect. The fact that they didn’t bother to intervene doesn’t mean the system should be scrapped. If the referees at the ground and in the studio were doing their jobs properly then the decisions may have been different. No one is suggesting that the on field referees should be scrapped as they made at least 3 bad calls so not sure why VAR is getting the blame yet again.

My main issue with VAR and goal line technology in the UK is that it is trying to introduce perfection into the game when the rules weren’t written for this. Offside wasn’t written to be hair splittingly accurate; if 99.99% of the ball is over the line it should probably be a goal. The new handball rule was plainly absurd when it was introduced. To me, it’s the rules that need amending to deal with this ability to be more precise than the human eye rather than blaming VAR.

VAR has not been successfully introduced in the UK but it is increasing the number of correct decisions and I think that’s good and once they tweak the rules to realize they have this system and apply more common sense when using it, I think much of the controversy will go away.

The reason it should be scrapped completely is not because of it's (in)accuracy, although it has been a complete farce this season, it's because it's pandering to fucking nerds who have never kicked a football in their life or been to a live football match.

I don’t think it has failed generally. The VAR, for whatever reason, decided not to overrule last night’s decisions. Without VAR, all those incorrect decisions would have still been incorrect. The fact that they didn’t bother to intervene doesn’t mean the system should be scrapped. If the referees at the ground and in the studio were doing their jobs properly then the decisions may have been different. No one is suggesting that the on field referees should be scrapped as they made at least 3 bad calls so not sure why VAR is getting the blame yet again.

My main issue with VAR and goal line technology in the UK is that it is trying to introduce perfection into the game when the rules weren’t written for this. Offside wasn’t written to be hair splittingly accurate; if 99.99% of the ball is over the line it should probably be a goal. The new handball rule was plainly absurd when it was introduced. To me, it’s the rules that need amending to deal with this ability to be more precise than the human eye rather than blaming VAR.

VAR has not been successfully introduced in the UK but it is increasing the number of correct decisions and I think that’s good and once they tweak the rules to realize they have this system and apply more common sense when using it, I think much of the controversy will go away.
my view is that it's a game played by humans, watched by humans and should be refereed by a human and when they make a wrong decision, they should be abused by humans. Perfection shouldn't come into it, nor should long, frustrating delays while someone fiddles with technology and watches different angles on a telly.

Until the incident the other week when it failed completely I wasn't bothered by the goal line technology, but that failure, and the failure of VAR to overrule it, means it's not 100% reliable. Nor is a ref or linesbod but I'd much rather have human mistakes.

There'll always be hairline decisions that half of the crowd will say are good and the other half were daylight fucking robbery. For me it's the time it takes to decide with the crowd not knowing what's going on. That's why rugby is so good - everyone gets to see what happened as it is repeated to the ref so it's interesting to watch again rather than just being a boring wait. .

Back
Top Bottom