Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

VAR and the Premier League

Yes the goalline decisions swing it for me if nothing else - quite a few goals disallowed for the ball having hit the bar, bounced behind the line then spun out again.

Plus arseholes who pretend to have been kicked or tripped, and the other arseholes who quietly elbow or headbutt someone in the face.

Personally I'd scrap it, it doesn't improve the game. However the real barrier to even trying to make it work better is PGMOL ( Managing Director Mike Riley) who seemingly don't want their members on the field to actually make a decision by looking at the pitch side monitor but defer to another member in a hut in Stockley Park. The present system of VAR plus drinks breaks plus five substitutes is beginning to make the game look like a bastardisaton of NFL .

Yes the goalline decisions swing it for me if nothing else - quite a few goals disallowed for the ball having hit the bar, bounced behind the line then spun out again.

Plus arseholes who pretend to have been kicked or tripped, and the other arseholes who quietly elbow or headbutt someone in the face.
Funnily enough the latter seems to have reduced with there being no supporters in the stadium.

There'll always be hairline decisions that half of the crowd will say are good and the other half were daylight fucking robbery. For me it's the time it takes to decide with the crowd not knowing what's going on. That's why rugby is so good - everyone gets to see what happened as it is repeated to the ref so it's interesting to watch again rather than just being a boring wait. .
ok, fair enough I don't watch rugby but that sounds better, so if the experiment is to continue put it all on the big screen and let the ref make the decision in public, see if that improves both accuracy and acceptability.

Last nights was one of the worst of many dubious ones imo

I genuinely thought they should be looking at Fernandes for a red card. There was no doubt he brought his studs down on the defender, the difference between yellow and red for it being intent. TV check to see if there was any evidence he knew where the defender was.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The ref should be on mic, state his reason for giving a decision, then the tv ref can give a decision not based on "was there a clear and obvious error", but "did the ref see what he thought he saw, because if he did then that's his decision."

In last night's case, it would have been "I've awarded a penalty based on the contact between forward and defender, which I think the defender initiated."

"That's a negative, ref. Contact was entirely the forward's doing."

"Cheers, tv ref. Decision reversed."

my view is that it's a game played by humans, watched by humans and should be refereed by a human and when they make a wrong decision, they should be abused by humans. Perfection shouldn't come into it, nor should long, frustrating delays while someone fiddles with technology and watches different angles on a telly.

Until the incident the other week when it failed completely I wasn't bothered by the goal line technology, but that failure, and the failure of VAR to overrule it, means it's not 100% reliable. Nor is a ref or linesbod but I'd much rather have human mistakes.
The VAR is a human. We as supporters shouldn’t have to put up with Maradona getting away with using his fist to score a goal, balls going over the goal line being disallowed, goals being given when they have hit the outside stanchion, Zidane head butting someone in a World Cup final and almost getting away with it. It’s not fair to the teams or the fans to be robbed of victory due to the error of humans when a quick replay of the incident that is immediately available should be able to clear things up. Yes, football with VAR will still have mistakes as it is still reffed by humans but I still think it is better to have a system that helps reduce the number of errors than go back to the old days where cheats prosper or goals are given or not in error.

The reason it should be scrapped completely is not because of it's (in)accuracy, although it has been a complete farce this season, it's because it's pandering to fucking nerds who have never kicked a football in their life or been to a live football match.
I am sure those who play football love being robbed of victory due to the on field referee not seeing an incident that goes against them.

Goal line technology will cause few errors (though they still manage some :facepalm: ) and takes little time. A good thing.

VAR is causing loads of errors still and is crap. Look at how it's killing the crowd atmosphere in games (before Covid, smartass). For that alone, it needs to go. But it won't go.

Replays aren't quick and aren't even being shown. The crowd are a massive, integral part of the game. Just look at how shite most matches behind closed doors are at the moment. If you're substituting the desires of the crowd for a free flowing game with human error, for a stop start game influenced by a non-football technician in a hut miles away, and still getting three game affecting penalties in three matches on one night wrong, your system is shite.

What errors is it causing?

Don't be pedantic. But if you want to be, yes it is causing errors by being the implementation of rules and decisions by people who do not understand football. By relying on technicians who haven't been involved and don't understand e.g the dynamics of Fernandes's turn last night and how and why he got it wrong and therefore committed a foul - but they gave him a penalty - then yes, it is causing errors.

Just give wxch team 2 appeals per game, rather than use it for every decision. Job done.

Don't be pedantic. But if you want to be, yes it is causing errors by being the implementation of rules and decisions by people who do not understand football. By relying on technicians who haven't been involved and don't understand e.g the dynamics of Fernandes's turn last night and how and why he got it wrong and therefore committed a foul - but they gave him a penalty - then yes, it is causing errors.
You mean the penalty which was given on the pitch and if VAR wasn't a thing would have stood regardless?

VAR didn't give him a penalty, they backed the ref's call to award a penalty.

You mean the penalty which was given on the pitch and if VAR wasn't a thing would have stood regardless?

VAR didn't give him a penalty, they backed the ref's call to award a penalty.

Like I said. Pedantry.

If you’re going to invent something as the final word in clearing up mistakes then that thing is the cause of the mistake if one happens. The mistake was a wrongly awarded penalty. If VAR had got it right, it would have been the cause of the correct decision.

Cause - a person or thing that gives rise to an action

The VAR is a human. We as supporters shouldn’t have to put up with Maradona getting away with using his fist to score a goal, balls going over the goal line being disallowed, goals being given when they have hit the outside stanchion, Zidane head butting someone in a World Cup final and almost getting away with it. It’s not fair to the teams or the fans to be robbed of victory due to the error of humans when a quick replay of the incident that is immediately available should be able to clear things up. Yes, football with VAR will still have mistakes as it is still reffed by humans but I still think it is better to have a system that helps reduce the number of errors than go back to the old days where cheats prosper or goals are given or not in error.
Are you fucking kidding me? The instances you describe have gone down in folklore as someone of the best and most dramatic moments in football ever. Fuck being correct, give me Hurst's goal, Maradonna's handball, Zidane's head butt drama any day over not being able to celebrate any goal until a bald man in an office 50 miles away has watched a slow motion replay from 20 different angles, and still gets the decision wrong.

I am sure those who play football love being robbed of victory due to the on field referee not seeing an incident that goes against them.
Football isn't for those who play it, it's entertainment for the fans, and VAR is robbing us of that except the dorks who sit at home watching it on telly and haven't been to a stadium in their life.

Are you fucking kidding me? The instances you describe have gone down in folklore as someone of the best and most dramatic moments in football ever. Fuck being correct, give me Hurst's goal, Maradonna's handball, Zidane's head butt drama any day over not being able to celebrate any goal until a bald man in an office 50 miles away has watched a slow motion replay from 20 different angles, and still gets the decision wrong.
Your view of football is different to mine. The best and most dramatic moments for me are Maradona’s second goal against England, Zidane’s sublime skill, superb goals that are given correctly, not the lottery of blatant fouls being missed or referees not knowing whether or goal is a goal or not.

Your view of football is different to mine. The best and most dramatic moments for me are Maradona’s second goal against England, Zidane’s sublime skill, superb goals that are given correctly, not the lottery of blatant fouls being missed or referees not knowing whether or goal is a goal or not.
Dork

Like I said. Pedantry.

If you’re going to invent something as the final word in clearing up mistakes then that thing is the cause of the mistake if one happens. The mistake was a wrongly awarded penalty. If VAR had got it right, it would have been the cause of the correct decision.

Cause - a person or thing that gives rise to an action
Ok, I was going to let the pedantry thing go, but since you brought it up:

a) pedantry isn't a bad thing, it's just looking for people to be correct or precise
b) I don't think it's pedantry to ask someone to back up or explain their claims

By your own definition, VAR didn't cause the mistake. It did not "give rise to an action".
Nah, bollix. I'd rather have the right result than a folklore lie. Football doesn't need things to go wrong to have incredible, memorable moments.
Football isn't for those who play it, it's entertainment for the fans, and VAR is robbing us of that except the dorks who sit at home watching it on telly and haven't been to a stadium in their life.
Super bollix. As someone who both plays and watches football (live and on TV), it's for both; to assert otherwise is just foolhardy.

Ok, I was going to let the pedantry thing go, but since you brought it up:

a) pedantry isn't a bad thing, it's just looking for people to be correct or precise
b) I don't think it's pedantry to ask someone to back up or explain their claims

By your own definition, VAR didn't cause the mistake. It did not "give rise to an action".
Nah, bollix. I'd rather have the right result than a folklore result. Football doesn't need things to go wrong to have incredible, memorable moments.
Super bollix. As someone who both plays and watches football (live and on TV), it's for both; to assert otherwise is just foolhardy.
Dork

I'm a season ticket holder at Cardiff, so not a tv watching dork, and Id still be watching them in the EPL if VAR had been in last season to spot a Chelsea goal 2 yards at least offside. Do i feel robbed, too fucking right. VAR ould have stopped the robbery.

Back
Top Bottom