Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

VAR and the Premier League

OK, I'll give them a bonus point for accepting mistakes at this stage rather than trying to pretend that everything went perfectly....

During those rounds there were 227 incidents involving goals, red card offences as well as potential and actual penalty decisions.

Of those incidents, six decisions were changed by VAR.

Referees' chief Mike Riley told Premier League clubs on Thursday four more incidents should have been changed.

The four incidents in question are:

• Appeals for a penalty from Manchester City for a foul on midfielder David Silva in their 3-1 win at Bournemouth on 25 August should have been given.
  • A foul on West Ham striker Sebastien Haller in their win against Norwich City on 31 August should have resulted in a penalty.
  • Leicester City's Youri Tielemans should have been sent off for his foul on Bournemouth's Callum Wilson on the same day.
  • Also on 31 August, a handball by Newcastle United's Isaac Hayden was missed in the build-up to Fabian Schar's equaliser against Watford

VAR: Four incorrect decisions fail to be overturned in Premier League

I think this is the week that the previous failings have come to a head. I'd be livid if I were involved with VAR or refereeing, its credibility has been destroyed in less than 10 game weeks. Pathetic stuff, dismal.

I mean it gets some things right, like the Mane handball that just happened, and I like that bit. But all the complete cop-outs are so counterproductive. You arent protecting the referees with these antics, far from it.

Tbh I think the whole premise that you can have 'correct' decisions all the time just doesn't hold up. Too many situations could easily go either way and it just needs someone to take a decision and then everyone can get on with it (with one side nursing a burning sense of resentment obviously). A ref doing that without replays does that and has the benefit of speed.

It works much better in cricket because even though they're looking at much more objective decisions they still allow the grey area of umpires call- and no-one chucks their toys out of their pram about it.

Tbh I think the whole premise that you can have 'correct' decisions all the time just doesn't hold up. Too many situations could easily go either way and it just needs someone to take a decision and then everyone can get on with it (with one side nursing a burning sense of resentment obviously). A ref doing that without replays does that and has the benefit of speed.

It works much better in cricket because even though they're looking at much more objective decisions they still allow the grey area of umpires call- and no-one chucks their toys out of their pram about it.

Of course in cricket (and tennis) each side gets the limited challenges option which overrules the umpire if they get it wrong which I think is a much more sensible approach.

VAR in football has had a really bad weekend. Especially highlighted by the excellent work of pitch and video referees in the rugby.

Rugby works so much better.

Rugby Ref: "This is what I think I've seen, and my decision is this. Can you give me any reason to change this?"

Why can't football refs be miked up in the same way?

A few signs they may have shifted the bar a little this week. I'm not surprised after last week.

I can put up with dubious refereeing decisions but when Man Utds 'penalty' is sent for a check and the replays clearly show no penalty but the VAR review upholds the referees decision its time to pack it all in.

Theres a whole difference on VAR when its used for 'a clear and obvious error' and when its used to review a clear and obvious non error. Watfords penalty was sheer robbery of a clean sheet .

Bar a couple of odd decisions at the world cup, rugby is doing this so much better. Put it on the big screen, turn the mics on and don't try to pick holes in stuff.

Bar a couple of odd decisions at the world cup, rugby is doing this so much better. Put it on the big screen, turn the mics on and don't try to pick holes in stuff.
Ditch it , it’s just for elite leagues and TV . The rest of football does very well without it .

Maybe just keep it for goals/penalties where there’s something blatantly wrong.
That's kinda what it's meant to be now though. Plus offsides. And when it spots those (such as Firmino's armpit or the German one above) it isn't VAR's fault it's interpreting the rules to the letter, that's what it's there for.

It actually seems to work okay in the champions league, its jsut the premier that is making a complete arse of it.

Back
Top Bottom