Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

VAR and the Premier League

Quite possibly winner of Strawman of the Week. I'm sorry you painted yourself into a corner with your ill-informed claims because I can see you're hurting inside, but now that you're acting like a complete bellend, I'm afraid my discourse with you ends right here. Enjoy your day.

Hurting inside am I? Acting like a bell-end (tobasco sauce added?) am I. Such impertinent language. Alas, I can’t make you be rational for the sake of congeniality. I’ll just have to take your abuse and drop down a few more places on the Urban social spectrum. Somewhere between Jazz and Lengel I guess now.

Bullies.

Hurting inside am I? Acting like a bell-end (tobasco sauce added?) am I. Such impertinent language. Alas, I can’t make you be rational for the sake of congeniality. I’ll just have to take your abuse and drop down a few more places on the Urban social spectrum. Somewhere between Jazz and Lengel I guess now.

Bullies.
Dude, your attempts at ‘bantz’ may be amusing to twelve year olds, but actually they’re just tedious repetition of shite we’ve all heard before, often rather more amusingly expressed.

if you wanna be a bit ‘edgy’ try to be original, to the point, and funny. Or at least one of the three.

non-league - meaning not in the Football League

No.

Non league meaning the levels between League 2 and the top of amateur football.

I don’t think It’s exclusive to religion. About the only time you’ll find ‘actual sectarianism’ - alluding to religious affiliations - is the Old Firm is it?

If you're gonna use that prick Boban, at least mention it was like 30 odd years ago and still not sectarian.

Dude, your attempts at ‘bantz’ may be amusing to twelve year olds, but actually they’re just tedious repetition of shite we’ve all heard before, often rather more amusingly expressed.

if you wanna be a bit ‘edgy’ try to be original, to the point, and funny. Or at least one of the three.

Bullies

No.

Non league meaning the levels between League 2 and the top of amateur football.

If you're gonna use that prick Boban, at least mention it was like 30 odd years ago and still not sectarian.

‘to many, Boban is a symbol, not of footballing prestige, but of nationalism and Croatian freedom, for his now-legendary role in kick-starting the Croatian War of Independence. It is, of course, ridiculous to deduce that a footballer single-handedly prompted a conflict, but Boban’s particularly well-documented contribution to a raging riot between fans of Dinamo Zagreb of Croatia and Red Star Belgrade of Serbia in May 1990 took hostilities between Yugoslavia and the nationalist population of Croatia to dangerous new heights.’

I thought you and I got along somewhat aswell.

I think this proves my very point, a sport which is for the most part, a passive indulgence, really does bring out some nasty feelings from people.

I love using language correctly, yes.

ah language is it, and the correct usage of such. Would you say that from speaker to listener that language is a perfect form of communication? Always bang on, never misconstrued, never taken the wrong way.

you gatekeep the ‘correct usage’ of such and I’ll keep plugging away at attempting to learn from people on here and make some friends.

‘to many, Boban is a symbol, not of footballing prestige, but of nationalism and Croatian freedom, for his now-legendary role in kick-starting the Croatian War of Independence. It is, of course, ridiculous to deduce that a footballer single-handedly prompted a conflict, but Boban’s particularly well-documented contribution to a raging riot between fans of Dinamo Zagreb of Croatia and Red Star Belgrade of Serbia in May 1990 took hostilities between Yugoslavia and the nationalist population of Croatia to dangerous new heights.’

I thought you and I got along somewhat aswell.

I think this proves my very point, a sport which is for the most part, a passive indulgence, really does bring out some nasty feelings from people.

Point out in that quote where the sectarianism is?

It's also a funny thing with conflicts. Some of us come down on one side as opposed to the other. Boban is a prick and always will be in my view, since I'm partial to Crvena Zvezda. ;)

If you say so petal. :D couldn't possibly be that Ive seen them play 3 times now and am quite enamoured of the club and Beograd itself.

How you get sectarian when I'm Sikh is beyond me. :D

Singh.... I’m not that daft our kid. And I know people who say this usually aren’t, but in real life I am able to draw out laughter from people. Whether that’s intentional or not, I’ll leave it up to you. Dr. Semantics (See that I made a play on the stereotype of Sikh males in the UK) ((that wasn’t racist was it? I’ve had to triple guess myself so much using this platform that I dunno wtf I’m about anymore))

and you have lived a life completely free of plagiarism have you?

All you’d have to do is quote me and post rolling eyes and Badgers would like it. Group think can be so counter productive

Same shit the annoying little kid posts on every single footy thread. Surprised he is not banned from the whole footy forum to be honest.

BIt of footy banter is a good thing (#WengerIn) but this is just shit for shits sake.

Nah bro, you can give it but sure as shit don’t like it back at you. You would get called a wool around Liverpool, it’s a fact. It all went to shit when someone condoned the whizzing of glass bottles at Man City’s coach and I pulled ya’s up about it.

What a bad little grass you are begging for me to be banned from a fucking football thread

Video replays do have their uses:

Clarke had been summoned in front of the digital, culture, media and sport select committee to discuss his involvement in the controversial Project Restart. But in a run of digressive answers, Clarke used the phrase “coloured footballers” to describe black Asian and minority ethnic people and suggested that “different career interests” led South Asian people to choose careers in IT over sport. He also drew complaints for saying a coach had told him that the lack of women’s goalkeepers was due to girls not liking the ball being kicked at them, while Stonewall UK was among those who condemned Clarke when he insinuated that being gay was a “life choice”.

among stiff competition:

"He also drew complaints for saying a coach had told him that the lack of women’s goalkeepers was due to girls not liking the ball being kicked at them," :facepalm:

Video replays do have their uses:

among stiff competition:

"He also drew complaints for saying a coach had told him that the lack of women’s goalkeepers was due to girls not liking the ball being kicked at them," :facepalm:

Again, I'll be accused of gatekeeping language but the constant use of 'girls' when referencing women's football gets right on my nerves. It's only really acceptable when you're on about schoolkids football. Anything above that age or level would be women, surely? Demeaning as fuck tbf.

Again, I'll be accused of gatekeeping language but the constant use of 'girls' when referencing women's football gets right on my nerves. It's only really acceptable when you're on about schoolkids football. Anything above that age or level would be women, surely? Demeaning as fuck tbf.

hmnn - no need for the lil’ribbing, but still, agree with the rest of it. I’m still trying to introduce they’ and ‘them’ etc as usage for personal pronouns

I'm looking forward to software being able to detect players going down for no reason when they drag their leg behind them pretending they've been tripped. Three or four times on MotD tonight alone. That would stop it :) .

Getting back to VAR, I think it's been a fucking disaster and this seasoned Guardian reporter isn't too keen either

Instead we have VAR, football’s equivalent of Brexit, self-inflicted damage that becomes more ludicrous and intrusive every week, with no one willing to stand up and say this is not at all what was envisaged. Perhaps it is not exactly an emergency if a sport wants to make a fool of itself in such a way, though the game in England is a market-leading product and it is supposed to be part of the entertainment industry, not a subdivision of the earth-measuring fraternity.

Andy Burnham, the mayor of Greater Manchester and an Everton fan, was bang on when he described VAR as a nitpicker’s charter. The whole principle, that every goal must be retrospectively examined to check whether there is any reason to disallow it, seems wrong, anti-sport, cart before horse. Who decided it was a good idea to give referees so much input, especially ones not even at the game? Who decided football was missing out on line decisions and needed to be brought in line with cricket and tennis?

To those who maintain it is important to be correct whatever the length of time it takes or that offside is a black-and-white issue whereby half an inch is just as culpable as half a yard, I would put the following points. Is a player offside by an armpit or a big toe cheating? Are they seeking or obtaining an unfair advantage? And given the distances are so small and players will not always know the exact moment when the ball is played, are they likely to have any idea of whether they are offside or not?

If the answer to all three questions is no, as is frequently the case, do we really need the game to be endlessly stopped in a pointless quest for the absolute truth? Some good-looking goals, as well as some crucial ones, have been chalked off because of trifling and unintentional transgressions that no one in the stadium can see.

Just seen a positive use of VAR in the Spurs - Brentford game, with da Silva getting sent off for a challenge that was really difficult to see in real time but when reviewed was horrible (and not in the "everything looks worse when slowed down way", it was actually horrible).

Back
Top Bottom