Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Urban Clubbing Club

I keep thinking I might like to go for a night out again at some point, but I’m really struggling with feeling that a 45 year old bloke dancing away on his own, surrounded by kids, would be a bit tragic. Not particularly rational I know, but there you go :(
Fuck it, just enjoy yourself and don’t give a shit what other people might think. Even if you did, good folk would see someone doing what they love and appreciate it. If others judge you for it, their opinion is worthless

A New Years Dissolution is to go out clubbing more, so coming up are:
World Unknown in an arch in Brixton on 3rd February - hope to make that if it doesn't seem like too much of a mare to get to London from Leeds
Club Cosmos at Freedom Mills with a live set from Higher Intelligence Agency and Simon Scott (Dimensons/Wire) DJing - seems more like a chillout vibe than a banging rave, but that's cool - it's a shame most clubs don't have chill out/downtempo rooms any more
View attachment 359578
Helena Hauff can do no wrong right now, so looking forward to hearing her play for Simon Scott at Wire on 10th February
View attachment 359579
and I've just noticed that the day after she is also playing for the same promoter/event as the HIA gig, which is a club I've never been to that is a few minutes' walk from my home.
and finally I'm coming down to London for the mighty I Love Acid at Corsica Studios on '303day' - 3rd March:
View attachment 359581
I post these events partly to make me accountable so I actually go to them :oops:
:cool:
I'm gonna go to the cosmos nights. See you there :)

I keep thinking I might like to go for a night out again at some point, but I’m really struggling with feeling that a 45 year old bloke dancing away on his own, surrounded by kids, would be a bit tragic. Not particularly rational I know, but there you go :(
This is half the reason I made this thread. Tell us where you're going... Maybe someone here will come along and then you won't be the only fogey in attendance :cool:

There's a fairly healthy community of aging ravers on Twitter, many meet up at some of the nostalgia do's like Hacienda/Harvey etc. but nothing is off the table. Next one the ones I know are doing is the disco thing at Printworks but it's not up my street musically.

As others have said, choose your event and you will probably have a great night.

#AHCC would be right up your street, many cycling ravers to be found on that hashtag.

Last edited:
I’m totally sober nowadays…
I'm completely sober. I go to dance to music I love. I don't intend to talk to any of the youngsters but last time I went out, a few wanted to talk to me. I don't think they were even thinking about how old I am, just chatting about music. And I remember there being some older ravers about when I was younger, it was a non issue.

Yeah I go clubbing occasionally (sometimes on my own) and usually get some attention from youngsters half my age. Have never had any snark they are always friendly (and curious).

On paper, I know this. In reality, not so much.
You gotta make the paper reality! I think you can totally go and really enjoy the music, the crowd the vibes and energy without taking enhancing substances. Tbf though I usually drink still when I've been places but that's a habit I still have anyway. I imagine you're part way used to dealing in social situations now without so it'll just be an extension of that.

What kind of nights would you be interested in?

Another old raver here, also tend to go mostly on my own.

Sometimes I'm weirdly anti social and go for a good dance and just want to be left alone to do that.

I haven't done mdma etc for years now so tend to have a few drinks and I vape weed.

spitfire Can you point me to the older ravers on twitter please?

Also if anyone is interested BristolEcho Chemical needs Meduza I have spare tickets for this:

Hard relate to this here (although I'm a sprightly 44 ;) ).

And even when I was much younger it was never just 'about the music'. Maybe I'm just not pure enough or something but it was always about the social side, and the drugs tbh. Going and hanging around on my own wouldn't really be the same I don't think. I do miss it though.

And even when I was much younger it was never just 'about the music'. Maybe I'm just not pure enough or something but it was always about the social side, and the drugs tbh. Going and hanging around on my own wouldn't really be the same I don't think. I do miss it though.
Weirdly as I've got older - for me it's totally about the music. I mostly listen to electronica and dance music daily.

Ah, will check back then.
Tickets are on sale now though, I got mine ages ago

Ah right - well, I'm gonna risk holding off on the line-ups before deciding which to plump for. I'm sure Tresor is a good shout - but alas out of the people I'll likely to be able to persuade to come there's not a huge amount of interest in techno.

Ah right - well, I'm gonna risk holding off on the line-ups before deciding which to plump for. I'm sure Tresor is a good shout - but alas out of the people I'll likely to be able to persuade to come there's not a huge amount of interest in techno.
Kinda wish I’d got Plastic People tickets instead for the same reason. Now they’re really expensive.

Sometimes I'm weirdly anti social and go for a good dance and just want to be left alone to do that.

I haven't done mdma etc for years now so tend to have a few drinks and I vape weed.

Also if anyone is interested BristolEcho Chemical needs Meduza I have spare tickets for this:

They're quite a Housey lot but not exclusively, very welcoming. Located all over the country.

Lots of them interact with this company: https://twitter.com/weare1of100

If you give Danny a follow the rest will become apparent pretty quickly: https://twitter.com/DanKelly72

Also DJ Paulette: https://twitter.com/DJPAULETTE

Follow the #AHCC (Acid House Cycling Club) hashtag and plenty more will spring up along the way.

Watch out for the megathreads, your notifications get battered!

Last edited:
They're quite a Housey lot but not exclusively, very welcoming. Located all over the country.

Lots of them interact with this company: https://twitter.com/weare1of100

If you give Danny a follow the rest will become apparent pretty quickly: https://twitter.com/DanKelly72

Also DJ Paulette: https://twitter.com/DJPAULETTE

Follow the #AHCC (Acid House Cycling Club) hashtag and plenty more will spring up along the way.

Watch out for the megathreads, your notifications get battered!
Thanks xxx

Yes, should be going to this! Hopefully see you there! 😁

There's different kinds of clubbers. Mine started about the music. I would never go to a night now or then unless the music was what I liked no matter who was going. The substances and friends that became part of the scene were fun and important but they wouldn't have happened without the music.

There's different kinds of clubbers. Mine started about the music. I would never go to a night now or then unless the music was what I liked no matter who was going. The substances and friends that became part of the scene were fun and important but they wouldn't have happened without the music.

Yes of course. I didn't mean to suggest the music wasn't important, I still love a lot of it and if I ever do get back out it will be somewhere with a lineup that excites me. I just meant going on my own wouldn't be the sort of night out I used to love even with that really.

Yes of course. I didn't mean to suggest the music wasn't important, I still love a lot of it and if I ever do get back out it will be somewhere with a lineup that excites me. I just meant going on my own wouldn't be the sort of night out I used to love even with that really.
Whereas I started clubbing on my own as soon as I discovered the music I loved as there wasn't always someone to go out with mid week.

Whereas I started clubbing on my own as soon as I discovered the music I loved as there wasn't always someone to go out with mid week.
When I first came down to London, I would go to Lost and Final Frontier on my own cos I hadn’t found my crew yet. It was ace - I’d dance all night not talking to anyone and listening to the music with my full attention, something that I won’t do when in company unless the drugs are really good.

Sat 28th Jan. 2pm start, Dock rd E16

Arno Lemons, Ben Sims, Dee Diggs, Dr. Rubinstein, Jerome Hill, Madam X, Octo Octa, and more
Saturday.
Got no one to go with although I'm not too fussed.

Have a spare ticket if anyone wants it.
Depending on how I feel Friday, there might be two but I'm hoping I'll be looking for a reward for what I have to do tomorrow and Friday.

If someone wants the spare, give us a pm. If I do go, don't worry, you won't have to hang out with me or anything :D

Last edited:
How was this?
Very good music. He was already playing when I arrived just after 11. Hours of excellent house music, lots of different types but overall sounding very Chicago/Detroit. The Jazz Cafe was as always nice. The sound is good, it's convenient to get to and it's always full with a good vibe but it is also bordering on mainstream.
I danced for three hours and went home at 2.30 content.

Back
Top Bottom