Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Undercover policing enquiry

In case anyone is interested, a very long overview from Team Counterfire's lawyers:

I would have thought that infiltrating any group likely to cause mayhem in the streets was just common sense.

Very likely NA, BNP etc have also been infiltrated. (Or an attempt has been made.).
The Problem for Spycops is they weren't infiltrating groups planning to cause mayhem. Those that were turned up offer to help you'd get all the "plans" the whole long term infiltration programme was a complete waste of time and people.

illegal and evil now if they'd actually gone after dangerous bomb throwing anarchists :facepalm: one thing but spycops was going pound shop smiley on shoplifters:facepalm:

Three people targeted by #spycops for their belief that state-enforced racism in Apartheid South Africa was A Bad Thing have had convictions quashed.

Jonathan Rosenhead, Christabel Gurney and Ernest Rodker had with other protesters blocked the team coach of the British Lions rugby team heading out for a playing tour of South Africa from Heathrow Airport. One of their co-defendants was undercover copper 'Michael Scott', who was party to defence meetings with lawyers. The group was wrongfully convicted of obstructing the highway.

Spycop news from Barcelona:

Pretty unequivocal from the Inquiry team so far:

‘The undercover unit [Metropolitan Police Special Branch's Special Demonstration Squad, or SDS] compiled the information gathered about activists into “extensive and deeply personal” reports that were, [Undercover Policing Inquiry lead counsel David] Barr said, “on many occasions sarcastic, or otherwise unprofessional. The attitudes betrayed by the language used in reports are significant. There is sexism. There is racism. There are many examples. Such reporting was known to managers and accepted because they signed off the reports.”​
‘Barr said it was “hard to identify a single instance” in which information gathered by the unit “averted a public order calamity”.​
‘He said the SDS operated with a “remarkable lack of oversight, formal training and instruction” but was not a “rogue unit” as it was funded by the Home Office and collaborated with MI5.​
‘Barr said the need to gather information about political groups such as feminists and anti-racism campaigners “was not an adequate justification for the intrusion caused” by the long-term covert operations.’​

I wanted to be surprised by this, but sadly I am not
"Senior Whitehall officials, some of them in the Cabinet Office, and top police officers knew about the unit"
Ps I've had dealings with Rob Evans; what a nice bloke. Also currently reading Gassed by him.

I'd never thought about that before - they could have got nearly the same info by just posing as someone on the periphery - of which there are always many in such scenes. It would have meant showing up every few months to things, a bit more often in the lead-up to an action, and wouldn't have required the whole deep undercover malarkey at all.

I'd never thought about that before - they could have got nearly the same info by just posing as someone on the periphery - of which there are always many in such scenes. It would have meant showing up every few months to things, a bit more often in the lead-up to an action, and wouldn't have required the whole deep undercover malarkey at all.
yeah but then who would write the pamphlets and push for other provocations?

That is what they did, as well. Plenty of the intelligence reports are by shallow swimmers attending routine public meetings.

None of the Tranche 1 material has produced any evidence of deadly plots by the spied-upon being foiled by brave bobbies-in-beards, though there's been plenty of evidence of police putting their fingers on the scale, turning a blind eye, being sexual predators, etc.

ah. but i think you misunderstand the point of the exercise, which wasn't all about information but also about disruption - like the infiltration of the cardiff anarchists, where yer man played a part in developing a drinking culture within the group, and also about taking people down paths they wouldn't have if left to themselves, eg the part lambert played in the animal rights firebombing which saw people sent to prison. not to mention the cop who managed to get the welling anti-fascist march re-routed in '93 which made certain it would kick off. but yeh you hadn't thought about that but bought into the idea it was solely about gaining intelligence.

That is what they did, as well. Plenty of the intelligence reports are by shallow swimmers attending routine public meetings.

None of the Tranche 1 material has produced any evidence of deadly plots by the spied-upon being foiled by brave bobbies-in-beards, though there's been plenty of evidence of police putting their fingers on the scale, turning a blind eye, being sexual predators, etc.
makes you wonder - makes me wonder anyway - at what links there were between the met / leadership of the sds and their german counterparts - sure you're well aware of peter urbach

ah. but i think you misunderstand the point of the exercise, which wasn't all about information but also about disruption - like the infiltration of the cardiff anarchists, where yer man played a part in developing a drinking culture within the group, and also about taking people down paths they wouldn't have if left to themselves, eg the part lambert played in the animal rights firebombing which saw people sent to prison. not to mention the cop who managed to get the welling anti-fascist march re-routed in '93 which made certain it would kick off. but yeh you hadn't thought about that but bought into the idea it was solely about gaining intelligence.
Targeting successful (in respect of their ability to organise effectively, take action and inspire others to become involved) political groups, and degrading their capacity to be successful; whether by identifying key players to be neutralised, driving wedges between people, or by outright provocation or sabotage.

Targeting successful (in respect of their ability to organise effectively, take action and inspire others to become involved) political groups, and degrading their capacity to be successful; whether by identifying key players to be neutralised, driving wedges between people, or by outright provocation or sabotage.
knew you'd put it better than me :thumbs:

precisely the same thing happened in alarm, where a keen young activist joined who then harped on about decision-making processes till he bored a lot of people away, was very cagey about where he worked (a clothing shop in the city which he wouldn't tell anyone the location of) and then ended up 'going to spain'

makes you wonder - makes me wonder anyway - at what links there were between the met / leadership of the sds and their german counterparts - sure you're well aware of peter urbach
One is minded of the not commented upon involvement in SDS of Roy Cremer, the 'situationist cop' whose startling powers of perception broke open the Angry Brigade investigation and led to the Amherst Road raid :thumbs:

Back
Top Bottom