Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

UK employers struggle with worst labour shortage since 1997

And yet I can't secure employment. I've applied for skilled jobs that I'm arguably over-qualified for, because I tend not to get interviews for jobs at the level I've done before because I lack recent experience. (Having tried to change career, to a sector that's going down the toilet and lacks funding and job security.)

Employers could get me and my experience at a bargain price, but they don't want me.

I've applied for general office work, temping, shop jobs, carer, anything to pay the rent, but haven't had any joy. So I've spent the past few months rinsing through my now depleted savings to pay rent.

I'm very literate and numerate with IT literacy skills, which are apparently skills in short supply if you believe what you read.

I feel like I'm on life's scrapheap. How can it be so hard to find a job at a time when there's a skills and labour shortage? Albeit I don't have a driving licence so can't be an HGV driver (although I'm a short-arse and probably wouldn't be able to reach the pedals anyway), and I wouldn't be able to work in a cold store/chilled factory as I have a fucked up wrist that aches in the cold.

The French dont put up with it. Watch what the french workers do when the píss is taken. That goes way back to the Revolution.

And yet I can't secure employment. I've applied for skilled jobs that I'm arguably over-qualified for, because I tend not to get interviews for jobs at the level I've done before because I lack recent experience. (Having tried to change career, to a sector that's going down the toilet and lacks funding and job security.)

Employers could get me and my experience at a bargain price, but they don't want me.

I've applied for general office work, temping, shop jobs, carer, anything to pay the rent, but haven't had any joy. So I've spent the past few months rinsing through my now depleted savings to pay rent.

I'm very literate and numerate with IT literacy skills, which are apparently skills in short supply if you believe what you read.

I feel like I'm on life's scrapheap. How can it be so hard to find a job at a time when there's a skills and labour shortage? Albeit I don't have a driving licence so can't be an HGV driver (although I'm a short-arse and probably wouldn't be able to reach the pedals anyway), and I wouldn't be able to work in a cold store/chilled factory as I have a fucked up wrist that aches in the cold.

Considering recruitment has somehow become an industry in itself we're proper shit at it in this country. So many talented people kicking cans down the street while dullards and aresholes keep on climbing the ladder.

Considering recruitment has somehow become an industry in itself we're proper shit at it in this country. So many talented people kicking cans down the street while dullards and aresholes keep on climbing the ladder.
Imagine how shit it would be if people who actually knew what they were doing ran the country. The current administration's bumbling incompetence is the only thing stopping us descending faster into an authoritarian hellhole

Imagine how shit it would be if people who actually knew what they were doing ran the country. The current administration's bumbling incompetence is the only thing stopping us descending faster into an authoritarian hellhole
This. I think it was butchersapron who once asked ‘ why does every wanna be Mussolini like fascist want to be Home Secretary but never Minister for Transport…”

I'm going through exactly the same thing, I've even being going for lower graded stuff but being told I'm over qualified, yet not enough experience for stuff I've been doing for years.

All we see on telly are the middle class being interviewed by News programs, from in their posh houses. You get to realise how much this country is two tier. These Unions have really let the working class down. They should be kicking off about all sorts of things and they do NOTHING. No doubt the Tories have infiltrated and are running the Unions too.
The union's have been slowly having their teeth pulled by government for some time.
It's going to get worse. I predict strikes eventually being banned altogether at some stage.

RMT used to support the Labour Party but hasn't for a long time. Why? Well it went all Tory and stopped being a party that listened to Unions but instead courted the middle classes.

On company time. Its the only way.
It's worth timing the occasional one so you can place a monetary value on them.
BB1 has just got a job in a pizza place, she's 17. The rate is £4.62 an hour. Fucking pisstake, a five hour shit, 6pm to 11pm gets her £23.10. She must pay NI out of that too.
When's she 18?, the rise is about 40% and it should happen automatically (but do remind her to check)

When's she 18?, the rise is about 40% and it should happen automatically (but do remind her to check)

December and yeah, goes up by around £2 an hour then to something a bit more respectable. Also at 18 a whole load of other jobs open up for her as she could handle/sell booze then.

In my raving days my Monday mornings from 8am to 10:30am were spent asleep on the throne at work, and a workmate would wake me at brew time. It was usually the first sleep I'd had since leaving work the previous Friday. Eventually the gaffer just told me not to bother coming in until midday on Mondays, as I was taking up a shitter that others might need, and my snoring was disturbing those in traps 1 and 3 :D

In my raving days my Monday mornings from 8am to 10:30am were spent asleep on the throne at work, and a workmate would wake me at brew time. It was usually the first sleep I'd had since leaving work the previous Friday. Eventually the gaffer just told me not to bother coming in until midday on Mondays, as I was taking up a shitter that others might need, and my snoring was disturbing those in traps 1 and 3 :D
It's thoughtful bosses like that who can make the difference between a bad workplace and a good one.

There does seem to be a real paradox regarding jobs out there at the moment. On the one hand the press is full of stories about staff shortages and anecdotally I have seen quite a few signs in the windows of shops, pubs, restaurants etc. Yet, I have also heard quite a few similar stories about the experience of people with decent experience that want work but can barely get the courtesy of a reply to an application let alone an interview.

It is mostly Covid
The rest of Europe is totally the same

Isn't Love Cunt Island great though?
Here in Spain, and according to friends who live in Portugal, France, Poland, there's been a lot of issues due to covid. In none of these countries there are no shortages of food in shops, nor problems in supply lines, etc which are being experienced in the UK. What is the biggest difference? Brexit.

...I have also heard quite a few similar stories about the experience of people with decent experience that want work but can barely get the courtesy of a reply to an application let alone an interview.
This has always been the case. Many recruiters don't reply at all, some very late, few recognise experience while expecting it. I've even had to train people who are earning more than me, and who have neither my qualifications nor experience. I won't do this anymore.

Back
Top Bottom