Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

UK employers struggle with worst labour shortage since 1997

I think it's a combination of Brexit and Covid (but mostly covid).. we cant seperate them totally, lots of people left cos of Covid much more suddely than they might have. Both EU and particularly non EU. A lot havent come back. Plus there's 130,000 people that have died and huge numbers with some form of long covid who cant do robust physical jobs full time now.

We are at the stage where labour now cant come from the EU cos of Brexit and cos of covid they cant "ship in" labour that easily. Even if there was a desire to.

Anyone who can do a trade etc is not going to want to chop cows up for £8.91 an hour. What a surprise.

What's wrong with this? It's better they're working than staring at their cell walls and they are actually learning a skill that is short supply outside prison (otherwise they wouldn't be doing it). One would hope when they are released (and day release prisoners are near the end of their sentence) that they will be taken on by where they have been working and thus reduce the odds of them just ending up in prison again.
There's nothing to stop them joining a union once they're free men.

Sorry but I really have no idea what you're on about.
That's not a good argument, comparing a shit situation to an even worse or equally shit situation is just deflection. This is just exploitation of a captive labour force who can, and will, be paid fuck all. Why not address the fundamental problems including the systemic ones, rather than use current supply chain issues as an excuse to abuse prisoners. The goal of a justice system should be reform, not providing rich cunts cheap labour

What's wrong with this? It's better they're working than staring at their cell walls and they are actually learning a skill that is short supply outside prison (otherwise they wouldn't be doing it). One would hope when they are released (and day release prisoners are near the end of their sentence) that they will be taken on by where they have been working and thus reduce the odds of them just ending up in prison again.
There's nothing to stop them joining a union once they're free men.

Sorry but I really have no idea what you're on about.

Eugh. Fucking bootlicker.

Charming as ever eh Frank?

Fuck off and go look up exactly how voluntary prison labour is, and how well it's paid. The alternative is never allowed out your cell, and no income to buy food to supplement your starvation rations.

If you make excuses for that, then yeah I'm alright calling you a cunt.

E2a: just noticed I didn't actually call you a cunt before. That was an oversight on my part.

Fuck off and go look up exactly how voluntary prison labour is, and how well it's paid. The alternative is never allowed out your cell, and no income to buy food to supplement your starvation rations.

If you make excuses for that, then yeah I'm alright calling you a cunt.

E2a: just noticed I didn't actually call you a cunt before. That was an oversight on my part.
It's OK Frank I am not offended either by the oversight of omitting the perjorative or its actual use, As always thank you for your insightful analysis

It's OK Frank I am not offended either by the oversight of omitting the perjorative or its actual use, As always thank you for your insightful analysis

Instead of working on your sarcasm, find out what the fuck you're on about before you post next time there's a good cunt.

Instead of working on your sarcasm, find out what the fuck you're on about before you post next time there's a good cunt.
I assure you my sarcasm has been very well practiced with your good self being someone who has been very generous with their assistance but I shall take your suggestions on board thank you.

There is also nowhere affordable to live for working people in many places. At one point this year the whole of Cornwall had 10,000 airbnb's but only 62 properties listed for rent. I recently had to turn down a job in Cornwall for this reason, and it wasn't minimum wage seasonal work either it was a full time teaching post. But the entire town had no homes available for rent to real people. Hard to see how such places will survive if this madness continues.
The rich have bought them all up, to make even more money.

whoever the BBC sub editor is should be fired, they could easily have cut the word "worker" out of that headline and it would have been as accurate but much funnier
Gregg’s sausage rolls actually made out of Greggs.

Why havent Unions done anything about flexi time and minimum wages? The working class are being seriously abused by the rich employers. The wages can be easily afforded as seen by the proffits they make, however they continue to increase the abuse of workers in terms of hours and pay.

A lot of the big companies that pay minimum wage now pay flat rate minimum wage for working weekends. I could go on, it is so bad. Why has the Labour Party been infiltrated by another Tory??

Its all greed and arrogance in this coutry. When I was a kid if someone started showing off that they had a second home etc they would have got a mouthful off someone.

All we see on telly are the middle class being interviewed by News programs, from in their posh houses. You get to realise how much this country is two tier. These Unions have really let the working class down. They should be kicking off about all sorts of things and they do NOTHING. No doubt the Tories have infiltrated and are running the Unions too.

Back
Top Bottom