Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Uganda anti-gay law

You're right. Sorry about that. I just wondered what it would look like in this context. Stupid, really.

Why is it stupid? If the commentator holds that belief about Russia and gay rights, then why would they not hold the same opinion about another country?

I believe that anti gay legislation is wrong in Russia, and is wrong in Uganda.

But a further wrong seems to get perpetrated when the discussion is about Uganda. People hunt for the imperialist underpinnings of the anti gay beliefs there. They don't conduct the same inquiry when considering homophobia in Russia, or UK, or what have you.

The implication is that Africans aren't as fully capable of hatred and bigotry all on their own, to match the hatred and bigotry that occur in the developed world. It seems to come from a misplaced idea that pre imperialist Africa was some sort of simplistic paradise peopled by good natured, innocent tribespeople. It's yet another form of racism.

People anywhere are capable of hatred and wrong thinking. The answer is to address that impulse that seems to exist in the human species, and work to counteract it. Because Africans are fully human, just like everyone else. And like everyone else, they are capable of good, and they are capable of error.

Why is it stupid? If the commentator holds that belief about Russia and gay rights, then why would they not hold the same opinion about another country?

I believe that anti gay legislation is wrong in Russia, and is wrong in Uganda.

But a further wrong seems to get perpetrated when the discussion is about Uganda. People hunt for the imperialist underpinnings of the anti gay beliefs there. They don't conduct the same inquiry when considering homophobia in Russia, or UK, or what have you.

The implication is that Africans aren't as fully capable of hatred and bigotry all on their own, to match the hatred and bigotry that occur in the developed world. It seems to come from a misplaced idea that pre imperialist Africa was some sort of simplistic paradise peopled by good natured, innocent tribespeople. It's yet another form of racism.

People anywhere are capable of hatred and wrong thinking. The answer is to address that impulse that seems to exist in the human species, and work to counteract it. Because Africans are fully human, just like everyone else. And like everyone else, they are capable of good, and they are capable of error.

I should have quoted CR and not put it up as my post. That was stupid and unfair on him. But yeah, I think his views are pretty reprehensible and don't agree with them at all.

Back
Top Bottom