Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Top television theme tunes

Come ON, people!

ETA: Delia Derbyshire got no royalties and they didn't even put her name in the credits, so she must get the U75 award.

There's now an annual Delia Derbyshire Day, started a few years ago, with events in Manchester, but now online, obvs.

I think archives of her work are held by the University of Manchester, iirc.

And there was a brilliant R4 programme called Sculptress of Sound about Delia Derbyshire and her work, well worth a listen. Looks like it's downloadable (it goes off and on iPlayer, not always available, but someone sneakily put it on YouTube when it originally aired, so if the BBC link doesn't work, always worth checking YouTube for it).

She was a true visionary and pioneer.

There's now an annual Delia Derbyshire Day, started a few years ago, with events in Manchester, but now online, obvs.

I think archives of her work are held by the University of Manchester, iirc.

And there was a brilliant R4 programme called Sculptress of Sound about Delia Derbyshire and her work, well worth a listen. Looks like it's downloadable (it goes off and on iPlayer, not always available, but someone sneakily put it on YouTube when it originally aired, so if the BBC link doesn't work, always worth checking YouTube for it).

She was a true visionary and pioneer.
Yes, DD has gotten some posthumous recognition. Too late for her, though. :(

I like to try and make words up to sing along to the instrumental themes of tv and film, trying to shoehorn the title in somehow. It’s quite challenging. Recently, I saw it done by some American comedian to Jurassic Park and now my ear worm is ‘It’s a dinosaur, it’s a dinosaur’ to its theme tune

Wow, I probably saw you on television.
It was sadly a quite disappointing show.
Your quote makes it look like I was in Prisoner Cell Block H :D :cool:

I don't think Captain Zepp made it past one series (as we used to call 'seasons'), did it? A schoolfriend's uncle was Captain Zepp, which is probably how come we were on it. Definitely a bit meh.

Anyway it’s this:

There was a club night in Manchester called All That Jazz and the DJs were so good at mixing stuff that you'd be bopping away and then suddenly realise they'd sneakily segued into something like this or the Grandstand theme or it would hit you that you were dancing along to the theme music to kids' cartoon Rhubarb and Custard. Used to amuse me greatly. 😆

Your quote makes it look like I was in Prisoner Cell Block H :D :cool:

I don't think Captain Zepp made it past one series (as we used to call 'seasons'), did it? A schoolfriend's uncle was Captain Zepp, which is probably how come we were on it. Definitely a bit meh.
I think it 'may' have done two, as I have vague memories of thinking "why???", and that there was some effort to improve it.

Back
Top Bottom