Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

French language films and television

I've been watching a few episodes of the French version of First Dates, with French subtitles. I think it's helping with my listening, expanding a bit beyond the endless news I watch on France24.

Anyone know a good trnt site for French stuff? I've had a brief look where I know English language stuff is, but it didn't yield much.

Has anyone seen Braquo? I've heard it described as a pre-cursor to Engrenages (Spiral). I ask because I found the third series available in my library today, but not the two that precede it. Is it necessary to have seen the first two series to "get" the third?

Anyone know a good trnt site for French stuff? I've had a brief look where I know English language stuff is, but it didn't yield much.
There is a fair amount of French language content on Netflix and some on Prime. Mubi offers French art house films. Otherwise I don't know of French services catering to English speakers. I'm a physical media nut who buys box sets by the likes of Truffaut, Melville and Malle, but also a torrent deviant when I don't get my mitts on something any other way.

La Mante on Netflix

"Decades after she was captured, imprisoned serial killer Jeanne Deber is asked by Paris' police commissioner to help solve a series of unsolved murders being committed by someone who is copying her crimes from years earlier. Jeanne -- who was known as "The Mantis" during her days as a criminal -- agrees, but only if estranged son Damien -- now a detective -- works alongside her. He reluctantly agrees so that they can try to end the copycat's crime spree. Time is of the essence because as the investigation goes on, the number of victims continues to rise."

I've been watching a few episodes of the French version of First Dates, with French subtitles. I think it's helping with my listening, expanding a bit beyond the endless news I watch on France24.
What’s it called? I would love to see the French version of First Dates!

If your French is poor you could watch 'Allo 'Allo to get used to the accent. ;)
I visited France my one of my aunts once. She loved France but barely spoke a word of French. We visited a market to buy food and she communicated with the stakeholders in very slow English, spoken in a French accent. “I … wooood like … a keeelo of applez … plz.” Worked a treat. She only had to say eet once.

I visited France my one of my aunts once. She loved France but barely spoke a word of French. We visited a market to buy food and she communicated with the stakeholders in very slow English, spoken in a French accent. “I … wooood like … a keeelo of applez … plz.” Worked a treat. She only had to say eet once.
Was a right nightmare in L'HMV though, constantly picking up copies of The Immaculate Collection that had been knocked off the shelves

into the night - on netflix has a v silly premise and a million plot holes but half way through and i'm really enjoying it. doesn't take itself that seriously plus the french isn't hugely slangy/accented so easy to follow :)

missions - on iplayer

despicable billionaires race to mars! atmospheric and totally watchable even if it's a massive bunch of cliches. too many characters to remember who anyone is and also read the subtitles. odd pacing - big long bits where nothing happens and then all-the-plot-in-30-seconds.

vocab-wise i learned it's vaisseau for a spaceship, not "bateau des etoiles" :thumbs:

missions - on iplayer

despicable billionaires race to mars! atmospheric and totally watchable even if it's a massive bunch of cliches. too many characters to remember who anyone is and also read the subtitles. odd pacing - big long bits where nothing happens and then all-the-plot-in-30-seconds.

vocab-wise i learned it's vaisseau for a spaceship, not "bateau des etoiles" :thumbs:
Cheers, I'll give that a look. Sci-fi's not really my thing, but it might be French but not as we know it.

Cheers, I'll give that a look. Sci-fi's not really my thing, but it might be French but not as we know it.
I watched it when it was first released. I like sci-fi but agree with wayward Bob, the pacing is odd but I enjoyed it enough to be hoping for a second season.

Baptiste is on iPlayer (seasons one and two).

Baptiste is on Netflix (season one only, so far).

French detective spin-off from The Missing. First season was set mostly in Netherlands (and a bit in other countries), bits of French because the lead actor plays a French former detective, but mostly in English, also a bit of Dutch and Romanian.

More of an international English language drama, with a smattering of other languages, including French, but people of different nationalities speaking in English as their common language.

into the night - on netflix has a v silly premise and a million plot holes but half way through and i'm really enjoying it. doesn't take itself that seriously plus the french isn't hugely slangy/accented so easy to follow :)
I quite liked it, bits were silly but an interesting premise, was really looking forward to season two.

new into the night is out. first two eps bit grim watching tbh. new vocab “c’est quoi ce bordel?!” :thumbs:
Although I've never ratified this with a francophone, I think they have a narrower range of swear words than English does. "Putain" and "merde" seem to be those I hear most used in dramas and films. I'd like to know if they have an informal hierarchy of offence, as we do.

C'est quoi ce bordel and Va te faire foutre are two everyday expressions I've committed to memory.

Although I've never ratified this with a francophone, I think they have a narrower range of swear words than English does. "Putain" and "merde" seem to be those I hear most used in dramas and films. I'd like to know if they have an informal hierarchy of offence, as we do.
La Haine gave me Arash ta Mere and Baise la Police

Back
Top Bottom