Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

French language films and television

Astrid, murder in Paris has really drawn me in. Astrid is austic and in my ignorance, I think she is played very well. It's currently showing on more 4 on Friday nights and well worth catching up on. It's a new story every episode with a few themes running through it. One of my must see programmes right now.

I'm currently working through 19-2, a Quebecker police drama directed by Podz. It was later remade in English and stretched out to four series, but originally it was a three-season Francophone show.

On one level it is fairly standard, tropetastic cop fare - chalk-and-cheese partners, strained marriages, nobody-likes-us-we-don't-care attitudes, a sprinkling of flavour-of-the-month topics etc - but there are at least a couple of very strong elements in its favour. Firstly is Grou's exemplary blocking and shot selection: he makes his moving pictures hum with vibrancy, and he lets his quieter moments burn into the screen like painterly compositions. Second is how it is a ghost story. There is no inner dialogue expressed through voiceover, no meaningful conversations between characters, just work banter and occasional, awkward, elliptical beating-about-the-bush when trying (and failing) to address big feelings - instead, everyone is haunted by ghosts. I mean, not ghosts, but yes, ghosts.

The French-Canadian argot has a real twang to it, and the Québécois setting hits unfamilar notes, which together add to a familiarity-adjacent vibe - neither full-blown banlieue policier, nor glossy American blueliner, just something... a bit different.

You may be aware of it thanks to its second season opener which, to be fair, was an exhilarating, pit-of-the-stomach experience. Perhaps even more astonishing is that when the English language version was put into production, Podz was invited back to remake it with the anglo cast. It's basically exactly the same, with pretty much all the same dialogue (though in a different language), shots, beats and pacing, but somehow better and more powerful, sort of how the set pieces in Heat are definite improvements on the same ones in LA Takedown. There's an interesting side-by-side comparison video: obviously, beware spoilers.

Available on Netflix.

Last edited:
Been watching Plan Coeur/The Hookup Plan.

First season is alright! It gets so much worse in season 2. Still.. it's enjoyable nonsense! But I have to have subtitles cos it's quite fast and there's lots of slang.

Daniel Radcliffe looks a lot more chill now he doesn't have the stress of Harry Potter resting on his shoulders :cool:
TBF, he's almost as typecast. Every single time he shows up in something.. "It's Gilou!" (Same for Tintin who shows up almost as often. French TV even more incestuous than UK TV.)

Astrid, murder in Paris has really drawn me in. Astrid is austic and in my ignorance, I think she is played very well. It's currently showing on more 4 on Friday nights and well worth catching up on. It's a new story every episode with a few themes running through it. One of my must see programmes right now.
Astrid is back! More 4 have started showing series 1. Well worth watching

Astrid has two strong lead female roles in Raphaelle & Astrid. The opening episode starts and the series carries on shows
Raphaelle learning about and how best to deal with someone with autism and vice versa. Whilst learning how to relate to
Astrid, Raphaelle is also helping to look after and protect Astrid. It is a wonderful relationship. Astrid's attention to detail
blunt honesty etc. is an eye opener for me and I think I can even see a tiny little bit of myself in her.
Brilliant programme, a great enthralling watch.

Astrid has two strong lead female roles in Raphaelle & Astrid. The opening episode starts and the series carries on shows
Raphaelle learning about and how best to deal with someone with autism and vice versa. Whilst learning how to relate to
Astrid, Raphaelle is also helping to look after and protect Astrid. It is a wonderful relationship. Astrid's attention to detail
blunt honesty etc. is an eye opener for me and I think I can even see a tiny little bit of myself in her.
Brilliant programme, a great enthralling watch.
God, I watched some of that when I was in France. I thought it was pretty rubbish tbh.

I went to see a French documentary film about a boat moored on the Seine where people with mental health issues can meet and have access to councillors and art therapy classes - craft and music and cinema. There is also a cafe and a bar.

Everyone is treated with respect and as an individual human being - very nice film with touches of humour.

I watched Anatomy of a fall over two nights.

It felt a bit of a slog and I'd be hesitant to recommend it to anyone. If you're in the mood to watch quite a fraught film about a relationship breaking down with a child in the middle of it you might enjoy it.

I recently enjoyed

1. What Pauline is not Telling You (a woman who may or may not have killed her awful husband)
2. Something to Hide (a boy from a broken family tells that his grandfather abused him, but the story may not be true)

Both on C4 / Walter Presents, both 4-parters and Something to Hide is 'based on real events'.

This promises to be quite ridiculous with a high potential for so bad it's good if you can suspend your disbelief long enough to accept a salt water fish settling comfortably in Seine

Watched the first two episodes of Hor Saison last night. A crime series based on the Swiss French border.
Based around a female cop - I will refrain from saying more for fear of spoiling it for anyone, needless to say
it's a bit difficult to imagining that could happen.

Watched the first two episodes of Hor Saison last night. A crime series based on the Swiss French border.
Based around a female cop - I will refrain from saying more for fear of spoiling it for anyone, needless to say
it's a bit difficult to imagining that could happen.

Have now watched all 6 episodes. Female cop goes bad, tries to cover up a dodgy death, thinks she gets away with it and so on.
Preposterous. Could make you want to shout at the screen but worth a watch all the same.

Back
Top Bottom