Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Top B&W British movies

Underground from 1928 is a fascinating watch for any Londoner, much of it having been shot on the Northern Line. I believe it’s available on the BFI payer.

:D
im sure its great but still :D
Cliff''s a pretty terrible actor but he's great in Val Guest's 'Expresso Bongo', an unflattering black and white satire of the late 50s pop business. He plays an aspiring pop star called Bongo Herbert - today that would be like naming a character Bongo Pratt. Very entertaining film IMO. (The BFI put it out on their Flipside label and it's available to rent on the BFI player. Or for free in the naughty corners of the internet of course).

(And it's not black and white but I have fond memories of friends and I watching 'Two a Penny', the film Cliff made for the Billy Graham Organisation. He plays a drug dealing ratbag who finds god. Or more exactly he cops off with a christian. "A provocative glimpse of life and love along London's famous mod beat".

We had a great time, although it's fair to say we weren't exactly engaging with it in the way its makers intended).

The Servant (1963)

Just watched this on MUBI last night (they are doing 3 months for £1). A surprisingly tense psychological film with James Fox & Dirk Bogarde.

Thanks for the pointer. I looked and MUBI has Oldboy (the original Park Chan-Wook version ) and Sympathy for Mr Vengeance (Park Chan-Wook again!!) so they clearly do have some cracking films on there.

Signed up for the 3 month offer :thumbs:

I agree, a brilliant film, a sad film and worth another mention
Beautifully shot by Freddy Francis who I mentioned in my recommendation of The Innocents. The Elephant Man, while taking place in London, is an American film though, directed by David Lynch and produced by Mel Brooks.

"Brighton Rock" - the other day on Talking Pictures.

Splendid homily on how it depicted a changed Brighton - not so ,as even the Police came under review a few years later.

Have mentioned this before, but it's worth a look at this one, easily found on YT

The Card - Alec Guinness excels (as always) in this forgotten classic from 1952. Capitalism, class, cads and football. Glynis Johns and Petula Clark provide excellent support.

Have mentioned this before, but it's worth a look at this one, easily found on YT

The Card - Alec Guinness excels (as always) in this forgotten classic from 1952. Capitalism, class, cads and football. Glynis Johns and Petula Clark provide excellent support.
2/3 of the above are not dead, which is good going for a 1952 film.

I watched City of the Dead (1960) not long ago. A lesser known British horror film starring Christopher Lee , this is set in the US with the British cast struggling with the American accents. It feels like a hybrid of the more famous Psycho (the blonde leading lady exits the film prematurely after checking into a hotel) and Mario Bava's Black Sunday (the curse of an immortal witch and lots and lots of dry ice) which both came out in the same year. It was almost entirely shot in a studio, which gives it a dreamlike atmosphere and it's beautifully shot. Should be better known.

1D94DDD3-80C2-4C28-9F1F-72AF02E53AF0.jpeg

9A08802D-3E37-4BC7-9B82-F600B78096C5.jpeg

20160412_004420_resized.jpg

Last edited:
I listed some I like. But it was off the top of my head and not intended as exhaustive. I could have posted double the number of my initial post in the post you quote, and nearly did. But I thought I'd stick.

I like David Lean's early films. They're overlooked because of the recognisable dramatic sweep of his mature work, but they're very accomplished and quite diverse. Most people know Brief Encounter is his, but so also is Hobson's Choice, and the Noel Coward adaptation, Blythe Spirit.

The Brothers (the 1947 film by David MacDonald, not any other of the same name) has long been a favourite of mine as a chilling meditation on the consequences of actions. It features a fantastic performance by a younger John Laurie (of Dad's Army fame), and an unforgettable conclusion.
Hobson's Choice has just started showing on talking pictures. Terrific film.

I'm watching it for the umpteenth time and it just feels warm and right. It has so many good things in it.
Have just looked up Joseph "rollicking" Tomelty, a skilled fiddler, a very familiar face who has been in many great films like this.

+Cinema HD
pretty sure its not available via that - theres no app or stream option.
there own webstie says "Can I stream Talking Pictures TV? You can watch Talking Pictures TV on Virgin 445, Freesat 306, Freeview or Youview 81 or on the Sky digital satellite platform, channel 328. "

I dont have a tv or freeview, only a laptop

a post on this forum
says "I’d love to be able to watch Talking Pictures TV but we have an Amazon Fire Stick and it’s not available to see on this. I think they are missing out and perhaps ought to stream things such as what Network is starting to do more of. Streaming and downloading is the future, whatever people’s views are. Without this they will be left behind which will be very sad.!

pretty sure its not available via that - theres no app or stream option.
there own webstie says "Can I stream Talking Pictures TV? You can watch Talking Pictures TV on Virgin 445, Freesat 306, Freeview or Youview 81 or on the Sky digital satellite platform, channel 328. "

I dont have a tv or freeview, only a laptop

a post on this forum
says "I’d love to be able to watch Talking Pictures TV but we have an Amazon Fire Stick and it’s not available to see on this. I think they are missing out and perhaps ought to stream things such as what Network is starting to do more of. Streaming and downloading is the future, whatever people’s views are. Without this they will be left behind which will be very sad.!
If you get a Firestick and side-load Kodi, and Cinema HD, you'll be able to stream pretty much anything you want.

CHD has everything that TP has, and much more.

I listed some I like. But it was off the top of my head and not intended as exhaustive. I could have posted double the number of my initial post in the post you quote, and nearly did. But I thought I'd stick.

I like David Lean's early films. They're overlooked because of the recognisable dramatic sweep of his mature work, but they're very accomplished and quite diverse. Most people know Brief Encounter is his, but so also is Hobson's Choice, and the Noel Coward adaptation, Blythe Spirit.

The Brothers (the 1947 film by David MacDonald, not any other of the same name) has long been a favourite of mine as a chilling meditation on the consequences of actions. It features a fantastic performance by a younger John Laurie (of Dad's Army fame), and an unforgettable conclusion.
For the record, up pops John Laurie as Hobson's doctor 👍

Back
Top Bottom