Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Top B&W British movies

Have mentioned this before, but it's worth a look at this one, easily found on YT

The Card - Alec Guinness excels (as always) in this forgotten classic from 1952. Capitalism, class, cads and football. Glynis Johns and Petula Clark provide excellent support.
Just watching this now. A magnificent young Alec Guinness.

Suppose technically, it's British but we enjoyed Odd Man Out with James Mason as an IRA hero on the run after a botched liberation of capital.

Marvellous and occasionally odd, this feels like a dry run for The Third Man. Both directed by Carol Reed.

Excellent support from William Hartnell, Robert Newton and Cyril Cusack. (Cusack's also grand in another 'RA film Shake Hands with the Devil.)

Suppose technically, it's British but we enjoyed Odd Man Out with James Mason as an IRA hero on the run after a botched liberation of capital.

Marvellous and occasionally odd, this feels like a dry run for The Third Man. Both directed by Carol Reed.

Excellent support from William Hartnell, Robert Newton and Cyril Cusack. (Cusack's also grand in another 'RA film Shake Hands with the Devil.)
Wilfred Brambell made his first film appearance in this.
Uncredited as a passenger on the tram heading to the Falls Road.....

Good list here from Scorsese

BFI Southbank home
Home Seasons Martin Scorsese Selects Hidden Gems of British Cinema
Martin Scorsese Selects Hidden Gems of British Cinema
Looking beyond the established classics, Martin Scorsese hand-picks a selection of his personal favourites from the history of British cinema.

‘For me, British cinema was formative. The best British cinema is always a source – you are challenged and you are inspired’
Martin Scorsese

During the early days of the Covid lockdown, uncertain of when life would return to normal, I retreated into film. I explored a list of international films recommended by Martin Scorsese, and the journey was so impactful that I wrote to thank him. Almost as an afterthought, I asked about his favourite British films from his formative years, specifically titles outside the established canon of Hitchcock, Lean, and Powell and Pressburger. Scorsese, known for his broad and inclusive taste, has championed genre films such as the Hammer Horror series, often dismissed by serious critics and filmmakers, so I was keen to see what he would pick. A few weeks later, he surprised me with a list of 50 cherished British films. I had seen less than half, so I eagerly dove into the remainder. The joy of discovering these classic films, hidden gems, and unheralded treasures was thrilling. It’s an absolute pleasure to programme some of this list for BFI audiences. Enjoy this journey into the heart of British film, curated by one of cinema’s greatest champions.

Introduction by Edgar Wright

Film notes by BFI National Archive curators James Bell and Josephine Botting.

With thanks to
Martin Scorsese and Edgar Wright.

Season programme

Shooting Stars
This accomplished silent British feature combines fast-paced comedy with heart-rending tragedy in its tale of intrigue at a film studio.

Read more

Brief Ecstasy
A married woman battles with her lust for another man in this intense drama.

Read more

Went the Day Well? (on Nitrate) + intro by James Bell, Senior Curator, BFI National Archive
Cavalcanti’s brilliant and often brutal thriller about a rural English village’s fightback against Nazi fifth columnists.

Read more

The Man in Grey
This period melodrama of passion and jealousy set Margaret Lockwood on the path to being Britain’s ‘wicked lady’.

Read more

This Happy Breed
Lean’s affecting Technicolor domestic drama charting the ups and downs of a south London family through the interwar years.

Read more

The Seventh Veil
A young pianist battles her strict guardian to find happiness but must overcome the emotional disturbance that threatens her career.

Read more

Green for Danger
A priceless performance by Alastair Sim is just one of the delights in Launder and Gilliat’s hugely entertaining wartime whodunnit.

Read more

It Always Rains on Sunday
The past returns to disrupt the life of an East End housewife in Robert Hamer’s powerful drama, starring Googie Withers.

Read more

Hue and Cry
Teenage gang the ‘Blood and Thunder Boys’ comb post-war London to foil a criminal gang in this lively Ealing comedy.

Read more

Hue and Cry + intro by Josephine Botting, Curator, BFI National Archive
Teenage gang the ‘Blood and Thunder Boys’ comb post-war London to foil a criminal gang in this lively Ealing comedy.

Read more

Uncle Silas
Jean Simmons plays a plucky orphan in peril in this moody Gothic drama.

Read more

Terence Fisher Double Bill: To the Public Danger + Stolen Face
Two atmospheric, noir-influenced thrillers by the future master of Hammer horror, Terence Fisher.

Read more

Mandy
In this moving drama, a mother seeking help for her Deaf daughter falls for the man who comes to her aid.

Read more

Yield to the Night
Diana Dors gives the performance of her career in one of the most powerful British features of the 1950s.

Read more

The Flesh and the Fiends
A seedy British horror flick starring Peter Cushing as a scientist who consorts with the infamous Victorian grave robbers.

Read more

The Damned
Losey’s unsettling collision of the teenage exploitation flick and paranoid science fiction.

Read more

Station Six Sahara
Equal parts Jean-Pierre Melville, Luis Buñuel and Roman Polanski, Holt’s exploration of the tensions among the all-male crew at a remote oil station is both provocative and brilliantly tense.

Read more

The Mind Benders
Dirk Bogarde undergoes sensory-deprivation experiments, with grave consequences, in Basil Dearden’s Cold War-era thriller.

Read more

The Pumpkin Eater
Anne Bancroft and Peter Finch excel as a married couple in trouble in Jack Clayton’s incisive drama.

Read more

Guns at Batasi
Richard Attenborough is unforgettable as a Blimpish Sergeant Major holding off a siege amid a military coup in post-colonial East Africa.

Read more

Dr. Jekyll and Sister Hyde
Stevenson’s classic Victorian novel is given a gender-bending twist in this lavish Hammer horror.

Read more

Dr. Jekyll and Sister Hyde + intro by Sam Clemens, son of Brian Clemens
Stevenson’s classic Victorian novel is given a gender-bending twist in this lavish Hammer horror.

Read more

The Legend of Hell House
Roddy McDowell and Pamela Franklin head the cast in John Hough’s eerie, classic haunted-house tale, written by Richard Matheson.

Read more
Seniors

Seniors’ paid matinee: Yield to the Night + intro
Diana Dors gives the performance of her career in one of the most powerful British features of the 1950s.

Good list here from Scorsese

BFI Southbank home
Home Seasons Martin Scorsese Selects Hidden Gems of British Cinema
Martin Scorsese Selects Hidden Gems of British Cinema
Looking beyond the established classics, Martin Scorsese hand-picks a selection of his personal favourites from the history of British cinema.

‘For me, British cinema was formative. The best British cinema is always a source – you are challenged and you are inspired’
Martin Scorsese

During the early days of the Covid lockdown, uncertain of when life would return to normal, I retreated into film. I explored a list of international films recommended by Martin Scorsese, and the journey was so impactful that I wrote to thank him. Almost as an afterthought, I asked about his favourite British films from his formative years, specifically titles outside the established canon of Hitchcock, Lean, and Powell and Pressburger. Scorsese, known for his broad and inclusive taste, has championed genre films such as the Hammer Horror series, often dismissed by serious critics and filmmakers, so I was keen to see what he would pick. A few weeks later, he surprised me with a list of 50 cherished British films. I had seen less than half, so I eagerly dove into the remainder. The joy of discovering these classic films, hidden gems, and unheralded treasures was thrilling. It’s an absolute pleasure to programme some of this list for BFI audiences. Enjoy this journey into the heart of British film, curated by one of cinema’s greatest champions.

Introduction by Edgar Wright

Film notes by BFI National Archive curators James Bell and Josephine Botting.

With thanks to
Martin Scorsese and Edgar Wright.

Season programme

Shooting Stars
This accomplished silent British feature combines fast-paced comedy with heart-rending tragedy in its tale of intrigue at a film studio.

Read more

Brief Ecstasy
A married woman battles with her lust for another man in this intense drama.

Read more

Went the Day Well? (on Nitrate) + intro by James Bell, Senior Curator, BFI National Archive
Cavalcanti’s brilliant and often brutal thriller about a rural English village’s fightback against Nazi fifth columnists.

Read more

The Man in Grey
This period melodrama of passion and jealousy set Margaret Lockwood on the path to being Britain’s ‘wicked lady’.

Read more

This Happy Breed
Lean’s affecting Technicolor domestic drama charting the ups and downs of a south London family through the interwar years.

Read more

The Seventh Veil
A young pianist battles her strict guardian to find happiness but must overcome the emotional disturbance that threatens her career.

Read more

Green for Danger
A priceless performance by Alastair Sim is just one of the delights in Launder and Gilliat’s hugely entertaining wartime whodunnit.

Read more

It Always Rains on Sunday
The past returns to disrupt the life of an East End housewife in Robert Hamer’s powerful drama, starring Googie Withers.

Read more

Hue and Cry

Read more

Hue and Cry + intro by Josephine Botting, Curator, BFI National Archive

Read more

Uncle Silas
Jean Simmons plays a plucky orphan in peril in this moody Gothic drama.

Read more

Terence Fisher Double Bill: To the Public Danger + Stolen Face
Two atmospheric, noir-influenced thrillers by the future master of Hammer horror, Terence Fisher.

Read more

Mandy
In this moving drama, a mother seeking help for her Deaf daughter falls for the man who comes to her aid.

Read more

Yield to the Night

Read more

The Flesh and the Fiends
A seedy British horror flick starring Peter Cushing as a scientist who consorts with the infamous Victorian grave robbers.

Read more

The Damned
Losey’s unsettling collision of the teenage exploitation flick and paranoid science fiction.

Read more

Station Six Sahara
Equal parts Jean-Pierre Melville, Luis Buñuel and Roman Polanski, Holt’s exploration of the tensions among the all-male crew at a remote oil station is both provocative and brilliantly tense.

Read more

The Mind Benders
Dirk Bogarde undergoes sensory-deprivation experiments, with grave consequences, in Basil Dearden’s Cold War-era thriller.

Read more

The Pumpkin Eater
Anne Bancroft and Peter Finch excel as a married couple in trouble in Jack Clayton’s incisive drama.

Read more

Guns at Batasi
Richard Attenborough is unforgettable as a Blimpish Sergeant Major holding off a siege amid a military coup in post-colonial East Africa.

Read more

Dr. Jekyll and Sister Hyde

Read more

Dr. Jekyll and Sister Hyde + intro by Sam Clemens, son of Brian Clemens

Read more

The Legend of Hell House
Roddy McDowell and Pamela Franklin head the cast in John Hough’s eerie, classic haunted-house tale, written by Richard Matheson.

Read more
Seniors

Seniors’ paid matinee: Yield to the Night + intro
I only know about half of those.

I only know about half of those.
I've seen a few of the films on TV over the years.
Yield to the Night was loosely based on the Ruth Ellis case (last woman to be hung for murder in England) - a very good performance from Diana Dors who was usually only cast as a glam blonde.

I do love Marty, he is so knowledgeable about films, he has such a wide and eclectic taste and he's very complementary about other film directors.

Last edited:
Scorsese's full list of 50 is here
The 50 British films that inspired a young Martin Scorsese - The Guardian

Of the selection above of the ones which the BFI are screening I think I've seen them all except Shooting Stars and Brief Ecstasy, and Terence Fisher's 'To The Public Danger', which as a 40 minute support feature is fairly rare. However I see it's on YouTube so I can remedy that

Brief Ecstasy sounded quite interesting so I looked it up online. It was on one of those Ealing Rarities DVDs. As I looked at the titles of the other films included a couple of them seemed familiar and very slowly it dawned on me that I'd actually bought the DVD when it came out :facepalm:

Yield to the Night was loosely based on the Ruth Ellis case (last woman to be hung for murder in England) - a very good performance from Diana Dors who was usually only cast as a glam blonde.
It was based on a book by Joan Henry, which came out before Ruth Ellis shot her lover.
You're right about it being a fantastic performance from Dors.

Gave this a try... didn't make it to the final heist before fallng asleep... But first time I've seen a film with Terry Thomas.... Recognise his face but don't think I've ever actually seen him in action...
View attachment 443636
Terry Thomas was very funny, he was usually typecast as characters described in Wiki ...

Andrew Spicer, writing for the British Film Institute, called him "the definitive postwar cad or rotter".[125] Terry-Thomas himself agreed with the view he presented, writing in the 1980s that "T-T with his permanent air of caddish disdain ... bounder ... aristocratic rogue ... upper-class English twit ... genuine English eccentric ... one of the last real gentlemen ... wet, genteel Englishman ... high-bred idiot ... cheeky blighter ... camel-haired cad ... amiable buffoon ... pompous Englishman ... twentieth-century dandy ... stinker ... king of the cads ... All those descriptions added up to my image as Terry-Thomas".[237]

Terry Thomas was very funny, he was usually typecast as characters described in Wiki ...

Andrew Spicer, writing for the British Film Institute, called him "the definitive postwar cad or rotter".[125] Terry-Thomas himself agreed with the view he presented, writing in the 1980s that "T-T with his permanent air of caddish disdain ... bounder ... aristocratic rogue ... upper-class English twit ... genuine English eccentric ... one of the last real gentlemen ... wet, genteel Englishman ... high-bred idiot ... cheeky blighter ... camel-haired cad ... amiable buffoon ... pompous Englishman ... twentieth-century dandy ... stinker ... king of the cads ... All those descriptions added up to my image as Terry-Thomas".[237]
Whilst looking for French films recently, I came across this starring T-T:

Apparently it was the most successful French film until 2008!

Cracking Thread and I'm glad it's still running 8 years' later!

Like many of you, I own the classics like "The 39 Steps" (in all its various iterations), "Dead Of Night" and the unsurpassable "Brief Encounter." I'm also a huge fan of Talking Pictures TV and especially love the warnings prior to the screenings!

Thanks to just idly watching the channel, I picked up these two really rather good British films:

59 minutes in total and it just rattles along!

Set in my hometown of Brighton so I am obviously biased! Jack Warner is in great form, the shots of 60's Brighton are hugely evocative and I liked the film so much, I bought it on Blu-Ray import.

Back
Top Bottom