Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ultra long movies

Novecento is the longest one I’ve watched at 5 hours 17 minutes. Wouldn’t fancy sitting through it at a cinema but a perfect film to lose yourself in at home on a winter’s day.

His best films were before Goodfellas IMO and not v good since.

Nah. Mean Streets, Raging Bull are very fine but just the warming up act for Goodfellas and The Last Temptation of Christ.

Will acknowledge the genius of King of Comedy and Taxi Driver, for sure.

Haven't seen his latest one, but looking at his filmography, he hasn't made a good film since the 90s. And quite a few in the 2000s I've really, really hated. Dunno, maybe he needs to hang up his camera. 🤷‍♀️
While the World Cinema Project is preserving and increasing the availability of some amazingly great films. I'd rather he concentrated on that.

Reactions: Sue
Intermissions returning perhaps

Also lists a number of long films, most of which would suit a big screen, and perhaps an intermission

Cleopatra
248 mins (4 hrs 8 min)

Gone With the Wind
238 min (3 hrs 58 min)

Dances With Wolves
236 min (3 hrs 56 min)

Once Upon a Time in America
229 min (3 hrs 49 min)

Lawrence of Arabia
216 min (3 hrs 36 min)

Ben-Hur
212 min (3 hrs 32 min)

The Irishman
209 min (3 hrs 29 min)

Apocalypse Now
202 min (3 hrs 22 min)

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
201 min (3 hrs 21 min)

The Godfather: Part II
200 min (3 hrs 20 min)

Spartacus
197 min (3 hrs 17 min)

Schindler’s List
195 min (3 hrs 15 min)

Titanic
194 min (3 hrs 14 min)

I have the director's cut of Until the End of the World which is 300 minutes long.

A fantastic film, but one I can only watch once a decade or so. :D

I thing the longest film I sat through without once feeling bored was Once Upon A Time In America. At home obvs, never making it through that length at the cinema without a piss and smoke break

I really liked Peter Greenaway's 3hr 15 mins The Falls, and have watched it a few times, but that's a mere bagatelle compared to some of the bum-numbers on this thread :eek: Probably helps that it consists of 91 short film biographies (supposedly 93 but one was supposedly removed 'on legal advice' and one is just missing, no explanation). Have also been for a few drinks with my bezzer in The Raven pub on Goldhawk Road which features in the film. :cool:

Intermissions returning perhaps

Also lists a number of long films, most of which would suit a big screen, and perhaps an intermission
Link to the embedded video clip of Pete Davidson rapping 'Give me a short ass movie' on SNL. :D

Tbh, I often search for '90 minute movies' when I want to watch something but it's late and I don't want to start watching something 2-3 hours long.

I thing the longest film I sat through without once feeling bored was Once Upon A Time In America.

Same, but that's one of my favourite genres, so more inclined to give it a go. Fucked if I'd sit in a cinema for almost 4 hours on the off-chance that I might like it.

Oppenheimer, at 3hrs is about my limit for a cinema. I'm looking forward to Killers of The Flower Moon, but will wait til I can watch it at home.

Link to the embedded video clip of Pete Davidson rapping 'Give me a short ass movie' on SNL. :D

Tbh, I often search for '90 minute movies' when I want to watch something but it's late and I don't want to start watching something 2-3 hours long.

“Uh, how long was The King Of Staten Island..?” :D

Well, we saw it yesterday and it's still sinking in.

Oddly, I found the book better paced than the film. There's chunks of stuff about the Bureau and Tom White that has been left out. Guess a mini series would have perhaps delivered a bit more.

That said, the central 3 performances are phenomenal and if Lily Gladstone doesn't get an Oscar nod, there's no justice.

Speaking of which, the film is about justice, corruption, indifference and (if you know nothing about the true story) it will fill you with rage. The sense of horror is a slow build and the ending is.. let's just say it's a metaphor and makes sense when you think about it.

I don't think it will be for everyone.

We went to KotFM today at a Vue, partly hoping it would have an intermission (some Vues do, but apparently not this one) and partly because we had free tickets. It actually didn't feel horribly long to me or my GF, which is surprising. However we deliberately avoided having any snacks, which helped.

Must say, the Robbie Robertson score, along with the classic blues and country classics really added to the atmosphere.

It was sorta repetitive in a way that worked very well to set the pace.

There were a few bits that could have been trimmed (for some reason they showed one guy dancing for about three minutes, for example), but it did still work.

An intermission would have been a plus, though. I'd have liked that time to talk about the film as well as get snacks, etc.

It was sorta repetitive in a way that worked very well to set the pace.

There were a few bits that could have been trimmed (for some reason they showed one guy dancing for about three minutes, for example), but it did still work.

An intermission would have been a plus, though. I'd have liked that time to talk about the film as well as get snacks, etc.

Because of crap stomach, don't really eat or drink at films but don't mind if there's an intermission or not.

Last intermission (at the pictures - Cleopatra's has one on Disney+ iirc) I experienced was at a rerelease of 2001 and when The Godfather Part 3 was released.

I miss the documentaries and/or cartoons that would be shown before the main feature presentation back in the 70s and early 80s.

Because of crap stomach, don't really eat or drink at films but don't mind if there's an intermission or not.

Last intermission (at the pictures - Cleopatra's has one on Disney+ iirc) I experienced was at a rerelease of 2001 and when The Godfather Part 3 was released.

I miss the documentaries and/or cartoons that would be shown before the main feature presentation back in the 70s and early 80s.

An option would be nice. And some Vue cinemas are doing it, it's just not clear which ones.

There are quite a lot of people who just won't or can't go to a movie that's as long as this one, so they're losing customers.

Scorsese has been defending the length in a disappointingly predictable way, saying that people will watch lots of TV episodes in one go or go to the theatre for three or more more hours, totally missing the point. Maybe it's been so long since he went to a regular cinema that he doesn't realise intermissions aren't a thing (in the US and UK, at least, probably his two biggest markets).

An option would be nice. And some Vue cinemas are doing it, it's just not clear which ones.

There are quite a lot of people who just won't or can't go to a movie that's as long as this one, so they're losing customers.

Scorsese has been defending the length in a disappointingly predictable way, saying that people will watch lots of TV episodes in one go or go to the theatre for three or more more hours, totally missing the point. Maybe it's been so long since he went to a regular cinema that he doesn't realise intermissions aren't a thing (in the US and UK, at least, probably his two biggest markets).

Oh he knows. Himself or Thelma S were pissed off recently when cinemas added an intermission (somewhere in Europe)!

Used to enjoy a double bill where you had an intermission of sorts between the two films.

Oh he knows. Himself or Thelma S were pissed off recently when cinemas added an intermission (somewhere in Europe)!

Used to enjoy a double bill where you had an intermission of sorts between the two films.

I feel like I'm promoting Vue by repeatedly mentioning that they've added one for some performances in the UK :D That might well have been the source of his ire. Often you have to get permission to show with an interval if it's not a film festival.

But I'm told that some countries in Europe - outuside thre UK and Ireland - do have intemissions for some long films, and apparently it's not uncommon in other parts of the world. Which countries do it, I'm not sure of (though I'd bet India does, and possibly Poland), but in any case it does happen.

I remember having a cheeky ice cream from the curtained window at the front of the auditorium during the intermission between Mickey's Christmas Carol and The Jungle Book when they were run as a double-bill in 1983

Screenshot 2023-10-30 at 00.21.30.png

Back
Top Bottom