Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Top B&W British movies

I enjoyed I Know Where I'm Going, it's a decent film - but it's spoken of in hushed tones as a masterpiece and I really didn't get that from it - can anyone explain what I'm missing?

I think the film connects with some people on a personal level, it does for me, I love films about the power of a place. Joan's resolution to marry money crumbles incrementally, the storm, the sea, a Gaelic choir, a cursed laird, all chip away at her, till she discovers her soul in the harsh beauty of a Scottish Isle, which Powell and Pressburger imbue with an almost supernatural power. The key scene is the diamond wedding, time stops for a moment. It may be my favourite Powell and Pressburger film, rivalled only by Black Narcissus and thematically they are aligned.

I think the film connects with some people on a personal level, it does for me, I love films about the power of a place. Joan's resolution to marry money crumbles incrementally, the storm, the sea, a Gaelic choir, a cursed laird, all chip away at her, till she discovers her soul in the harsh beauty of a Scottish Isle, which Powell and Pressburger imbue with an almost supernatural power. The key scene is the diamond wedding, time stops for a moment. It may be my favourite Powell and Pressburger film, rivalled only by Black Narcissus and thematically they are aligned.

You can read it as just a well executed romcom with an exciting turning point, but it's also about a choice between capitalistic values and older communal values. That's uncommon enough in film, but a lot of films against capitalist 'efficiency' etc are as subtle as a sledgehammer, whereas this is a lot more subtle by mostly presenting the alternative to it - the warmth and eccentricity of community, with only a few naked jabs at 'consolidated chemical industries'.
cheers guys - I'll maybe watch it again with these points in mind...

(...) but it's also about a choice between capitalistic values and older communal values.
True, but it's also about the place and role of the gentry in the traditional order which underpins those older communal values. And it's about the place of women in that traditional order. Wendy Hiller doesn't just represent capitalist values but 'the modern woman'. It's not an accident that the film was made at the end of a war which had seen a significant shift in the possibilities open to women. I like Powell and Pressburger's films very much but they are utterly brilliant expressions of an essentially romantic conservativism.

True, but it's also about the place and role of the gentry in the traditional order which underpins those older communal values. And it's about the place of women in that traditional order. Wendy Hiller doesn't just represent capitalist values but 'the modern woman'. It's not an accident that the film was made at the end of a war which had seen a significant shift in the possibilities open to women. I like Powell and Pressburger's films very much but they are utterly brilliant expressions of an essentially romantic conservativism.
Yes, there's some truth to that. I really enjoyed A Canterbury Tale but the conclusion made me realise it was an essentially conservative film. And one can't help noticing in IKWIG that for all the 'following her heart' stuff, she only rejects a very rich capitalist for a moderately rich landowner. My partner pointed out after watching it that it would have been a more painfully romantic choice for her if she had fallen for a penniless farm worker or fisherman. At the same time I choose to see and enjoy the better elements in their films, perhaps because there is no other set of films that so successfully takes on capitalist modernisation in such a popular way.

Great thread.

I’ve started recording a lot of these black and white films off the marvellous Talking Pictures TV. After a spell of Ealing Comedies, tonight is “The Spy Who Came in From The Cold”. Burton has great presence.

I’m not able to provide much analysis or observations other than I enjoy the older films a lot more than a lot of modern stuff :)

I have enjoyed a few of these lately. All mentioned in this thread so I won’t add more than a few brief notes :)

Brighton Rock - excellent but you already knew that.

Green for Danger - a superior crime / who dunnit film. Alistair Sim rather good playing it half for laughs.

Yes a good summary there. I’d not seen him in anything before so wasn’t sure if his face was always in a half grin or just the role

Tonight I watched “Offbeat” an interesting crime caper, a policeman goes undercover to infiltrate a crime syndicate in pre swinging 60s London. Nice jazzy soundtrack and I spotted the calf-fancying soldier from Zulu, a minor character in Dr No and the bus driver from the Italian job in the supporting cast.

Yes a good summary there. I’d not seen him in anything before so wasn’t sure if his face was always in a half grin or just the role

Tonight I watched “Offbeat” an interesting crime caper, a policeman goes undercover to infiltrate a crime syndicate in pre swinging 60s London. Nice jazzy soundtrack and I spotted the calf-fancying soldier from Zulu, a minor character in Dr No and the bus driver from the Italian job in the supporting cast.
Are you saying you are not sure if you had seen Alistair SIM before?
Interesting character in real life who has been in many superb films. Whiskey Galore and Ladykillers are two Ealing greats which immediately spring to mind.

Interesting character in real life who has been in many superb films. Whiskey Galore and Ladykillers are two Ealing greats which immediately spring to mind.
He wasn't in either of those though he was in Hue and Cry. Also St Trinians, Scrooge and An Inspector Calls among others.

Also, inventor of the little integrated circuit on a chip used in mobile phones.

Yep, sorry. St Trinian's films and

He was with George Cole in George Coles first film, cottage to let. Cole was mentored by sim.
Yes - Cole was about 15 at the time.
Sim took him and his adoptive mother into his home.
George Cole remained in that family home until he was 27.

Watched “The Traitor” tonight recorded off TPTV a few months ago. A fairly sub par whodunnit about a gang of resistance fighters gathering for a postwar reunion. Christopher Lee in the supporting cast.

Don't know if it's been posted yet or not but watched The Hill over the weekend - a Sidney Lumet film set in an army prison camp in Libya in WWII starring Harry Andrews and Sean Connery.

Not a huge amount actually happens but - like most works of Lumet - another sidelong and beguilingly deceptive glance at power dynamics under varying forms of machismo and Lumet's usual knack for evoking character. Harry Andrews (always a favourite of mine) is especially brilliant, playing almost his opposite from Ice Cold in Alex.

Next up in the very long queue is another Lumet/Connery number called The Offence (but that's not in B&W)

P.S. Today I learned that the late Roy Kinnear - staple 70s character actor and/or plucky comic relief - is actually the father of Rory Kinnear. The name and the face should have made it obvious but I never twigged.

300221844_10223157405058608_3659977497161053841_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom