Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Top B&W British movies

In which we serve

InWhichWeServe.jpg

Just came across this...looks really great! Paul Robeson hanging out with welsh miners and having a sing song + politics...from 1940...
The-Proud-Valley-1940.jpg

vlcsnap-2012-12-12-09h40m24s67.png

Is weird though because I once saw a film called Pool of London (1951) Pool of London (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and that film is known as the first time there was a black actor in a leading role in a UK film (even says it in the wiki)...its a great London film IIRC

Double checked if Proud Valley is a UK film and its filmed in Ealing studios and has a British producer, so seems so...

6efe739a23c8f27d23fdd9780594cafb.jpg

pool-of-london-x-26166_2.jpg

Earl Cameron, CBE (born 8 August 1917) is a Bermudian actor. Along with Cy Grant, he is known as one of the first black actors to break the "colour bar" in the United Kingdom. According to Screenonline, "Earl Cameron brought a breath of fresh air to the British film industry's stuffy depictions of race relations. Often cast as a sensitive outsider, Cameron gave his characters a grace and moral authority that often surpassed the films' compromised liberal agendas."[1] He also had repeated appearances on many British science fiction programmes of the 1960s, including Doctor Who, The Prisoner, and The Andromeda Breakthrough.

Hell Drivers. How the hell did I forget that one???

bf57b3e6d016c9061a9c44ea1a5ae2dc.jpg

Incredible list of actors:

Stanley Baker
Herbert Lom
Peggy Cummins
Patrick McGoohan
William Hartnell
Wilfrid Lawson
Sidney James
Jill Ireland
Alfie Bass
Gordon Jackson
David McCallum
Sean Connery
Great little thriller :cool:

I nominate Green For Danger, which despite the title is entirely monochrome :D Sort of a wartime British Columbo.

Just came across this...looks really great! Paul Robeson hanging out with welsh miners and having a sing song + politics...from 1940...

Is weird though because I once saw a film called Pool of London (1951) Pool of London (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and that film is known as the first time there was a black actor in a leading role in a UK film (even says it in the wiki)...its a great London film IIRC

Double checked if Proud Valley is a UK film and its filmed in Ealing studios and has a British producer, so seems so...

Robson actually made a few other films in the UK in the 30s starting with the imperialist adventure Sanders of the River. (He was already a star in the UK following his West End performance in Show Boat). He was unhappy with how Sanders turned out and on Song of Freedom (made for the original Hammer films) and Big Fella (based rather distantly on a novel by Claude McKay) he insisted on more control. In both films Elisabeth Welch played the female lead - equally unusual casting for the period.

Robeson was also in Borderline from 1930, an interesting silent British film about an interracial relationship.
The Proud Valley is a great watch.

No mention of any Anthony Asquith films on this thread, Michael Redgrave in The Browning Version is utterly fantastic. Pygmalion and Escape From Dartmoor also great and of course The Importance Of Being Earnest (although that's not B&W)

Great little thriller :cool:

I nominate Green For Danger, which despite the title is entirely monochrome :D Sort of a wartime British Columbo.
Green for Danger is great, last series of Father Brown pinched it's plot completely for one episode.

The OP is far too wide to make sense really but I'll mention Frieda and The Clouded Yellow

Think great British Black and white films, think Ealing, think Michael Balcon, so many great films, some of which recently shown on London Live.
A great exhibition, which I wont be able to make Sir Michael Balcon honoured in Birmingham film exhibition - BBC News
Parkside Gallery : What's on

39 steps. went the day well. dead of night. champagne charlie. whiskey galore. kind hearts......the list goes on.

That looks a really interesting exhibition - shame it finishes today and I won't be in Brum for a few weeks.

Flicking through the channels earlier and dropped on Sea of Sand, classic war film about the Long Range Desert Group, with Richard Attenborough, John Gregson and a young Ray McNally!
Made in 1958.

Back
Top Bottom