Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Top B&W British movies

Canterbury tale, the lady vanishes, the lady killers and brief encounter are all in my shortlist. (I took the Mrs on a surprise trip to carnforth railway station, and can recommend it as a pleasant (if slightly kitsch) afternoon for David lean fans...

As danny la rouge says there are many many great old films. To avoid lists and avoiding Hitchcock films
Went the day well ( the old wartime propoganda film about a village being invaded by Germans),
Wrong Arm of the Law ( Peter Sellers, nuff said, but liked for shots of Battersea Funfair. The film is excruiciatingly bad. Pearly Gates, Nosey Parker, Nervous O'toole!).
Then there is the likes of Passport to Pimlico and the Lavender Hill Mob. Just so many great old films.

London Live has a habit of showing a B&W film most afternoons :thumbs:

There's A Taste of Honey - inaugural film @ Favelado's Fishco Film club...

yxzfyxX.jpg

Very good film :)

I agree. This is one of the best angry-young-man/kitchen-sink films of the late 50s/early 60s.

Dora Bryan is brilliant as the terrible boozy mum.... :cool:

i like a list - i might actually take up your recommendation. Think of the power
I listed some I like. But it was off the top of my head and not intended as exhaustive. I could have posted double the number of my initial post in the post you quote, and nearly did. But I thought I'd stick.

I like David Lean's early films. They're overlooked because of the recognisable dramatic sweep of his mature work, but they're very accomplished and quite diverse. Most people know Brief Encounter is his, but so also is Hobson's Choice, and the Noel Coward adaptation, Blythe Spirit.

The Brothers (the 1947 film by David MacDonald, not any other of the same name) has long been a favourite of mine as a chilling meditation on the consequences of actions. It features a fantastic performance by a younger John Laurie (of Dad's Army fame), and an unforgettable conclusion.

Used to watch old black and white films with my mum on Sunday afternoons. One of the few rituals from my childhood I miss.

Seems odd to me to categorise films by whether they were colour or black and white though.

Obsession (with the delectable Sally Gray) is a cracker.
School for Scoundrels is a great Sunday film.
Two excellent John Mills films spring to mind too: The Long Memory and The Vicious Circle.

Children of the Damned has great cinematography. The scenes shot around London are wonderful.

It's all a bit Momentum Kids too, one of them even says 'we're stronger together'.

Seance on a Wet Afternoon is another good one.

A Night To Remember infinately better than Titanic or Day of the Triffids or The Day The Earth Caught Fire Or the brilliant 1950 "Seven Days Till Noon" where a british nuclear scientist steals a nuclear warhead and threatens to destroy the center of London unless the UK's government stops work on nuclear weapons, Might also add "the Blue Lamp" the Dixon of Dock Green forrunner

Last edited:
Bugger.

Must read thread title properly in future.

:facepalm:

ETA: it was The day the earth stood still which is still a great film. And the lead actor is British.

And here's a picture to prove it :)

MV5BMTM5MTE4OTU5NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDA0NzM4NA@@._V1_.jpg

Hell Drivers. How the hell did I forget that one???

bf57b3e6d016c9061a9c44ea1a5ae2dc.jpg

Incredible list of actors:

Stanley Baker
Herbert Lom
Peggy Cummins
Patrick McGoohan
William Hartnell
Wilfrid Lawson
Sidney James
Jill Ireland
Alfie Bass
Gordon Jackson
David McCallum
Sean Connery

So many great films mentioned throughout this thread.
I always remember this classic.
th.jpg

Screenplay by Eric Ambler and Peter Ustinov.
Directed by Carol Reed.

So many great films mentioned throughout this thread.
I always remember this classic.
View attachment 93043

Screenplay by Eric Ambler and Peter Ustinov.
Directed by Carol Reed.
Sounds great....i have seen the Irish dissident carol reed film...i think that's a Graeme green story like third man... Can't look it up on phone... Anyhow, that's really good too. Wish I could remember more about it... Like the name even :D

Eta..
Odd man out its called

Last edited:
A Night To Remember infinately better than Titanic

Of all the Titanic films, the James Cameron blockbuster cartoon is by far the worst.

'A Night To Remember' is a great film and (though it is American) the 1953 'Titanic', with Barbara Stanwyck and Clifton Webb, is also superb.

Back
Top Bottom