Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Theresa May's time is up

He was as easily as good a cricketer as Ambrose, and probably in the same class as Holding. Richards was a cut above.

tbh trying to maintain that Geoff Boycott was anything other than an outstanding Test cricketer is ridiculous. By all means criticise the man for what comes out of his mouth but saying he wasn't on a level with some of the West Indian cricketing knights is silly.

Slack/rushed mistake sorry :oops: :oops:

That was based on my false impression when I first heard the story that it had been Botham who made the comment :oops: ... and I should read before posting :(

All my other comments till stand though.

PS I do think it's at least open to debate about whether the brilliant West Indians of that era were the better??

tbh trying to maintain that Geoff Boycott was anything other than an outstanding Test cricketer is ridiculous. By all means criticise the man for what comes out of his mouth but saying he wasn't on a level with some of the West Indian cricketing knights is silly.

Boycott was clearly an outstanding batsman on an individual level, but arguably not an outstanding test cricketer on a team level, both in his indvidual performances and as a leader, whether as captain or senior player he was frequently divisive rather than bringing the team together.

Comparing him to Richards, who was arguably sometimes similarly arrogant but mostly managed to channel his individual brilliance and arrogance in a way which inspired and brought together his team, shows clearly what was lacking in Boycott as an all-round test cricketer.

And that's before we get on to his obvious character flaws (which in some cases is putting it mildly).

(and why are we discussing this on this thread anyway?)

He was a great player, but looking at the list of West Indian cricketers awarded a knighthood (whether ours or theirs) doesn't really suggest any candidates that Boycott was on a level with.

He was a great player, but looking at the list of West Indian cricketers awarded a knighthood (whether ours or theirs) doesn't really suggest any candidates that Boycott was on a level with.
Yes, Boycott was a great player, but as others have said the rest of cricketing life - as captain and colleague - detracts from his overall cricketing persona. And then just about everything else off field detracts even further. At one level I don't give a fuck about gongs and honours, but still hope Boycott doesn't ever get one.

Edit: wiki tells me he already has an OBE. Which adds even more to the idea he should keep his moaning mouth shut.

Yes, Boycott was a great player, but as others have said the rest of cricketing life - as captain and colleague - detracts from his overall cricketing persona. And then just about everything else off field detracts even further. At one level I don't give a fuck about gongs and honours, but still hope Boycott doesn't ever get one.

Yeah, just because it would upset him. You don't have to believe in honours to want him to not get one so that he dies miserable.

Yeah, just because it would upset him. You don't have to believe in honours to want him to not get one so that he dies miserable.
I have a mental image of all the knighted Windies players surrounding his deathbed, wearing their gongs. 'We've all come along to give you the award you most deserve. Pass the pillow will you Sir Viv?' :thumbs:

Viv Richards and Gary Sobers never got convicted for beating women though.

Viv Richards and Gary Sobers never got convicted for beating women though.
Indeed + it would be out of order for him to get a Knighthood for services to cricket when he did his best to fuck the sport up by organising a rebel tour to South Africa (and even more, gave 2 fingers to the anti-apartheid movement). Should have been banned for life, along with the rest of them. His tour was a massive issue in the 80s and all the fuckers who were giving it the 'I don't get involved in politics, I just want to play cricket' were dishonest scum.

Edit: wiki tells me he already has an OBE. Which adds even more to the idea he should keep his moaning mouth shut.
I hope he does get a knighthood to show again how shit the honours system is

No, he's probably better than Ambrose, miles and miles ahead of Richardson and probably the equal of Hall and Roberts. Sobers and Richards are clearly better players.
Why are you judging Ambrose so low? He was rated the best bowler in the world for a significant part of his career and I've still never seen a pair of bowlers as menacing as him and Walsh.

How on earth has this thread been derailed by the likes of Geoffrey Boycott? i would have been bawled out had I attempted such a thing.

*gets coat*

Why are you judging Ambrose so low? He was rated the best bowler in the world for a significant part of his career and I've still never seen a pair of bowlers as menacing as him and Walsh.
He's a very, very good bowler but I'd place Marshall, Holding and Garner ahead of him and Walsh.

How on earth has this thread been derailed by the likes of Geoffrey Boycott? i would have been bawled out had I attempted such a thing.

*gets coat*
May's too dull to maintain our hatred at anything more than an abstract level. At the moment she's running free through a cornfield, so Boycott has to stand in.

I watched the Lee Nelson video & struggled to understand what the applause was for? Applauding someone being man handled by security or that he did what everyone else wants to do?

After the years of Blair's take sincerity (not to mention War Crimes), weird shadowy 'political strategists, and Gordon Brown's creepy smile, I'm find all the really rather joyous.

lots of 'young people'ing as is normal, slipped in something about building a new tech college in every city.

lexiters got a mention- hard left isolationists apparently

Best summed up by this clip:

vanna-white-wheel-of-fortune.jpg

Back
Top Bottom