Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Sun posts losses of £91m

No sorrow for Murdoch, if the Sun goes down on him, sorrow for the employees though. Not so easy to get employment in the dead tree press these days.

Shame it hasn't bankrupted the wrinkly old bastard.

Did you know that the wrinkly old bastard started with a half share in a small Australian newspaper. Loath him or loath him, he has built his empire by his own work.

I met him once, for a few seconds, but spoke to his daughter Elizabeth a number of times.

51BFPxN1neL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Media Lens :: View topic - Murray McDonald:The hidden history of the Guardian newspaper

Well I never. I regard the Guardian as a slightly left newspaper, that seems to be reasonably truthful.

Murdoch? Rupert Murdoch, the press baron son of a press baron? That one?

'I started my working life at the Rupert Murdoch "Adelaide News" daily paper a half century ago. (That was Murdoch's sole inheritance - a half share in that paper - he has done better in business than I!)'

The above was what I based my comment on. That'll teach me to check before posting.

You were right, I was wrong.

'I started my working life at the Rupert Murdoch "Adelaide News" daily paper a half century ago. (That was Murdoch's sole inheritance - a half share in that paper - he has done better in business than I!)'

The above was what I based my comment on. That'll teach me to check before posting.

You were right, I was wrong.
Fair dos. He's as self-made as Donald Trump.

Ironically enough, the Sun always used to pay freelancers well. Don't know about now. Worst national newspaper for that was the Guardian - they knew a lot of people wanted to work for them and took full advantage of that fact.

Did you know that the wrinkly old bastard started with a half share in a small Australian newspaper. Loath him or loath him, he has built his empire by his own work.

I met him once, for a few seconds, but spoke to his daughter Elizabeth a number of times.

The "...started from near nothing" trope is exactly that. The fact is that he had help from his inordinately-wealthy and well-connected father. He most definitely wasn't a normal bloke who made a fair go, and was successful.

No one asks for The Sun at my work. But people still ask for The Mail. They don't get it though. Occasionally the newsagent accidentally gives us The Mail (like today), but it goes straight into the recycling if I'm about.

My brother used to do a football fanzine with a mate of his who worked for the Sun at the time. Strangely this guy is quite vocally left wing on Twitter, I guess you can work at a place without being sold on the politics of it, imagine that’s quite common.

Working for people who do shit things is one thing. Actively helping them do these shit things is another entirely and it's the huge difference between being sun journo and working for say tesco.

Imagine a left wing bristol based football club having a sun journo as a member.

£91mil is chicken feed to Murdoch.
Newspapers have been loss making playthings for the rich for an age. Profit making rags an exception rather than the rule.
What you lose in cash you gain in power and influence (leading to money) has always been the trade-off.

£91mil is chicken feed to Murdoch.
Newspapers have been loss making playthings for the rich for an age. Profit making rags an exception rather than the rule.
What you lose in cash you gain in power and influence (leading to money) has always been the trade-off.

£91m is not chicken feed to anyone.

Rest of your post is correct, credit where it is due.

Back
Top Bottom