Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Sun posts losses of £91m

editor

hiraethified

The Sun is Britain’s most widely-read newspaper. In print, it maintains a circulation of 1.4m, more than any other paid-for title. Including digital platforms, it reaches 29.5m each month, thanks to a website that has grown prolifically since it emerged from behind a paywall three years ago. Yet News Group Newspapers (NGN), publishers of The Sun and The Sun on Sunday, has declared a staggering pre-tax loss of £91.2m for the year to 1 July. In the previous year, The Sun lost £24m (despite a £55m tax rebate) and the year before that it was £62m in the red.

Read more at: https://inews.co.uk/opinion/columni...the-future-of-popular-journalism-into-doubt/?

Let it die a thousands deaths.

Interesting that the Graun seems to be going in the opposite direction:

GMG EBITDA before exceptional items £23.1m loss, 48% lower than prior year (2017: £44.7m loss)

Guardian Media Group plc (GMG) results for the financial year ended 1 April 2018

Maybe it's all that "Grauniad - working not begging" yellow pop-up bullshit they guilt-trip you with inbetween the heavily sponsored articles. ;)

I reckon they must have finally worked out how to make money from ads in particular (youtube etc), plus all their recent Aussie/US traffic, too. The number of mini documentaries and 5-20 minute videos they make would suggest this.

Murdoch has to pay for his takeover battles over sky
Yes, 90 million is the key figure in any battle murdoch is involved in.

As for the shitty guardian, is it a rise in advertising or reader subs component - it's pretty clearly the second, so it's based on a restricted access two tier class system. Welcome to the modern progressive we'll never charge 1 billion trust fund working for you.

Assuming GMG are making further losses in other areas (likely), they could well have increased revenue by around 30-50 million during the last fiscal year to compensate. I don't believe that amount of dough can really be coming from a small percentage subscribing. Looks more like some dirty old Google dollars, to me. No concrete evidence to back this up tho, pure speculation. But if losses have further decreased this year it'll be interesting.

The Sun's video output is really shit and budget compared to that of the Graun, whatever your political outlook. And youtube ads are massive monies at the moment.

They fucked up by letting the mail online become the dominant online UK shit spreader - 2018 saw advertising revenues for mail online overtake the print version. Everyone in my office reads mail online at lunch, no one reads the sun
since the paywall came down the Sun is now the most viewed UK "newspaper" website
UK: most poular newspapers 2018 | Statista

(wouldnt be surprised if the loss is creative accouting so no tax has to be paid)

Aren't those combined print and online reach? I'd be very surprised if online only the sun was anywhere close to the mail
Or the Guardian was even close to the Mirror in real life. It's bullshit about the internet that the guardian editor and types like that use to say that they're winning.

golden oldies from the archive -
51BFPxN1neL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Media Lens :: View topic - Murray McDonald:The hidden history of the Guardian newspaper

I nearly said oh fair enough but then I read it and that article says it includes figures from the sun bingo and betting sites plus their fantasy football site so it's not really comparing like with like - although I will admit I was wrong to say the sun would be nowhere near
Handily, it lists no sources either.

Back
Top Bottom