Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Oscars

It looks fake to me. I'm not convinced it wasn't a stunt that went a bit wrong. If it were real, Chris Rock's face would have been swollen later.

I just heard this.

Meh, really.

Shouldn't go around slapping people obv. But insulting someone over what could be quite obviously a touchy issue, can't complain if you get a robust action from them or one of their loved ones. This doesn't excuse Will Smith but it was a slap, not a beating.

I do take the point that it wreaks a bit of patriarchy. No argument on that.

But the rest, bollocks to all the handringing. Fine Smith and move on.

I never watch the Oscas. The celeb roasting thing can be pretty funny though if all involved are signed up for that kinda shtick. I don't know attending this award ceremony actually means you have though.

Toe curlingly he then had to accept his award for playing a violent man (the violence largely airbrushed out in the film). His reaction to the whole thing is pretty bizarre too. Performing all his 'hits' at the vanity fair party, rocking out on the dance floor all night with his oscar.

that looks like the least fun, most contrived/staged thing ever. Most people are just filming. Bleurgh. Are they even drunk and/or enjoying the party???

that looks like the least fun, most contrived/staged thing ever. Most people are just filming. Bleurgh. Are they even drunk and/or enjoying the party???

I don't think people go to those parties to enjoy themselves. They go to be seen and photographed.

TBH, I think we should just accept that award shows are past their sell-by date. They belong back in the 1970s with celebrity roasts, variety shows, and kiddie tv westerns.

Last edited:
While having lots of problems (see below) with what Smith did and said, I have no sympathy for Chris Rock. Mocking a woman with Alopecia is low. It’s a horrible condition, especially for women given how there is no expectation of baldness for women in middle age. She will, I’m sure, have felt especially exposed and vulnerable about it on this occasion, with the red carpet and all the world’s press. A brave face is not hewn from iron. Fuck Chris Rock.

And I can easily see that Smith, being aware of all her fears and bravery, plus being amped up for what might be the single biggest moment of recognition in his career… I can see he had little mental/emotional space to sit back from the jibe.

But
  • it wasn’t his fucking fight. Jada Pinkett Smith has her own voice. White knighting is bullshit.
  • male violence. Male violence is a fucking epidemic, and a culture that tolerates this is the same culture that beats children and has depressing rates of intimate partner violence. To be clear, I don’t imagine Smith does either of those, but men who do, will take reassurance from this kind of shite machismo as part of the ambient tapestry of influences we all are vulnerable to feeding our sense of self from.
  • shouting Rock down, telling him off, is one thing, but the words “take my wife’s name out of your fucking mouth” is all about ownership. MY wife. YOU’RE not allowed because she’s MY wife. Ugh. Just so revoltingly possessive.

Anyway. That’s my unsolicited opinion.

While having lots of problems (see below) with what Smith did and said, I have no sympathy for Chris Rock. Mocking a woman with Alopecia is low. It’s a horrible condition, especially for women given how there is no expectation of baldness for women in middle age. She will, I’m sure, have felt especially exposed and vulnerable about it on this occasion, with the red carpet and all the world’s press. A brave face is not hewn from iron. Fuck Chris Rock.

And I can easily see that Smith, being aware of all her fears and bravery, plus being amped up for what might be the single biggest moment of recognition in his career… I can see he had little mental/emotional space to sit back from the jibe.

But
  • it wasn’t his fucking fight. Jada Pinkett Smith has her own voice. White knighting is bullshit.
  • male violence. Male violence is a fucking epidemic, and a culture that tolerates this is the same culture that beats children and has depressing rates of intimate partner violence. To be clear, I don’t imagine Smith does either of those, but men who do, will take reassurance from this kind of shite machismo as part of the ambient tapestry of influences we all are vulnerable to feeding our sense of self from.
  • shouting Rock down, telling him off, is one thing, but the words “take my wife’s name out of your fucking mouth” is all about ownership. MY wife. YOU’RE not allowed because she’s MY wife. Ugh. Just so revoltingly possessive.

Anyway. That’s my unsolicited opinion.

Fucking spot on.

I’m wondering about the dynamics seeing how Smith laughed along with the joke initially, then there seems to be a little pause before rage mode is activated, during which the cameras are not on him.

Shame Rock wasn’t a little quicker after the event seeing how “keep my wife’s name out of your mouth” was an open goal for a killer comeback.
Then again, maybe Rock felt a little sheepish, or perhaps pulled a verbal punch as a return favour for Smith’s pulled physical one.

I personally didn't think it was that cruel of a joke.
Demi Moore looked hot as G.I Jane, and that's what Rock kind of said.

I think Jada hasn't got much of a sense of humour, she was pissed off earlier in the night about a joke one of the hosts made about shagging Will or something

I think Jada hasn't got much of a sense of humour, she was pissed off earlier in the night about a joke one of the hosts made about shagging Will or something

You try being a woman and having your hair fall out/get bald spots and then see how much sense of humour you have about it.

In the US, Smith seems to be getting the most support from Black women, while white men seem more in favour of getting the police involved.

I don’t approve of the macho bullshit, but I have to note that a lot of Black women on social media appreciated the slap. This includes Rep. Ayanna Pressley, another beautiful bald Black woman with alopecia. She tweeted, "Alopecia nation stand up! Thank you #WillSmith Shout out to all the husbands who defend their wives living with alopecia in the face of daily ignorance & insults.” She later deleted the tweet because she’s not a Republican. She can’t justify supporting violence.

Journalist Cara Reed tweeted, "I don't think people understand how tiring it is for disabled people to constantly have to take it for the sake of comedy. Chris Rock used to target my community. It gets old, especially from someone who is also disabled. This is a disability issue.”

You don't make fun of someone's appearance ...unless you're a nasty cunt.

I improvised a session to run for each of my twelve classes this week, prompted by this incident. Only one session on Mondays which was interesting. A significant number of the (all male) students in the class said Smith was justified, but I prompted some discussion about male ego, toxic masculinity, women's voices being silenced, women being judged on looks not actions, etc etc. And then linked it all to the One Punch Can Kill campaign from a few years ago but which is as relevant a concept as ever. Was hard to hear some young men don't know another way to react than with violence or aggression.

The power move by will Smith and his wife, would have been to get up and leave. He chose violence. Fuck both those men, both cunts and agree 100% with trashpony
Yes! Can you imagine if they’d done that? The whole schtick of the compere throwing shade at the audience (getting ever more offensive year on year) would be over.

It would have rocked the whole thing. But he went for the lazy shit male violence option.

In the US, Smith seems to be getting the most support from Black women, while white men seem more in favour of getting the police involved.

I don’t approve of the macho bullshit, but I have to note that a lot of Black women on social media appreciated the slap. This includes Rep. Ayanna Pressley, another beautiful bald Black woman with alopecia. She tweeted, "Alopecia nation stand up! Thank you #WillSmith Shout out to all the husbands who defend their wives living with alopecia in the face of daily ignorance & insults.” She later deleted the tweet because she’s not a Republican. She can’t justify supporting violence.

Journalist Cara Reed tweeted, "I don't think people understand how tiring it is for disabled people to constantly have to take it for the sake of comedy. Chris Rock used to target my community. It gets old, especially from someone who is also disabled. This is a disability issue.”

That article is brilliantly funny, but to avoid accusations of racism the author should have included cases of the other racial combinations of men who have slapped each other at the Oscars.

Yes! Can you imagine if they’d done that? The whole schtick of the compere throwing shade at the audience (getting ever more offensive year on year) would be over.

It would have rocked the whole thing. But he went for the lazy shit male violence option.
Exactly! How much of a statement if leading actor walks out before getting his Oscar. What happened after shows how much that aspect was vital for the show to go on. Fuck them all

I know humour is subjective, but it's not much of a joke, is it? I've heard jokes I'd consider objectionable for various reasons, but which still prompted a guilty chuckle, because they were amusing on some level. This isn't one of them.

I know humour is subjective, but it's not much of a joke, is it? I've heard jokes I'd consider objectionable for various reasons, but which still prompted a guilty chuckle, because they were amusing on some level. This isn't one of them.
Will Smith seemed to find it funny initially.

It should be viewed in context of this far more cutting joke he made about her 6 years ago.
There's history there although Will seemed to be enjoying it including the rather lame joke in question

Back
Top Bottom