Dev Patel (Lion)
Michael Shannon (Nocturnal Animals)

Deserves to win: Michael Shannon

Best Supporting Actress

Viola Davis (Fences)
Naomie Harris (Moonlight) not seen it
Nicole Kidman (Lion)
Octavia Spencer (Hidden Figures)
Michelle Williams (Manchester by the Sea)

Deserves to win: Michelle Williams
:( 0 out of 5, must try harder.

Ali is apparently the first Muslim to win (and fifth black actor).
I misread the headlines as "First Muslim to win an Oscar"(in reality he is first *actor* to win Oscar). I rushed off to search wikipedia for the next hour or so and before I finally realised my mistake I had come up with the following list, which I will share here so that all my efforts don't go to waste! :oops:

2001 Danis Tanovic (Foreign Language Film: No Man's Land)
2009 AR Rahman x2 (Original Score & Original Song (music): Slumdog Millionaire)
2009 Gulzar (Original Song (lyrics): Slumdog Millionaire)
2009 Resul Pookutty (Sound Mixing: Slumdog Millionaire)
2012 Asghar Farhadi (Foreign Language Film: A Separation)
2013 Malik Bendjelloul (Documentary Feature: Searching For Sugarman)
2016 Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy (Documentary Short: A Girl In The River)
2016 Asif Kapadia (Documentary Feature: Amy)

I misread the headlines as "First Muslim to win an Oscar"(in reality he is first *actor* to win Oscar). I rushed off to search wikipedia for the next hour or so and before I finally realised my mistake I had come up with the following list, which I will share here so that all my efforts don't go to waste! :oops:

2001 Danis Tanovic (Foreign Language Film: No Man's Land)
2009 AR Rahman x2 (Original Score & Original Song (music): Slumdog Millionaire)
2009 Gulzar (Original Song (lyrics): Slumdog Millionaire)
2009 Resul Pookutty (Sound Mixing: Slumdog Millionaire)
2012 Asghar Farhadi (Foreign Language Film: A Separation)
2013 Malik Bendjelloul (Documentary Feature: Searching For Sugarman)
2016 Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy (Documentary Short: A Girl In The River)
2016 Asif Kapadia (Documentary Feature: Amy)
Apologies if I wasn't clearer.

Apologies if I wasn't clearer.
No don't apologise - it was the Guardian I misread. Although having done a quick Google there are actually fair number of places that do have the incorrect claim - mostly obscure places but does include The Daily Caller.

For a ceremony I generally don't have much time for, this one was really great. Moonlight winning best picture was really, really deserved: it's the best movie I've seen for a long, long time. And of course, it was poetic justice *how* it won. Also glad Arrival picked up best sound editing, Zootopia best animation and Jungle Book best special effects. Also great that it highlighted Trump being a twat by giving best foreign movie to an Iranian movie who's team could be there due to his stupid travel ban.

Last edited:
Not bad 8 out of 13 = 62% and you did predict the two films announced as best picture winner.

And 2 out of the 5 categories that Kesher predicted.
I'll take that. Should have known Mahershala Ali would win, seeing as he was the only odds on favourite

Wtf was Warren Beatty thinking? The front of the envelope clearly said 'best actress' and the card inside had the actress's name on it. Quite clearly an error. He could have nipped it in the bud at that point. Still embarrassing but not nearly as bad as letting the la land guys begin their victory speeches.

It's a shame that Moonlighting seems to have had a limited release: hopefully now it's won a best picture, a best support actor and a best adapted screenplay Oscar it'll be shown in more cinemas. I'd like to see it.

Last edited:
Damien Chazelle is the first American to win Best director this decade. The last was Kathryn Bigelow for The Hurt Locker.

It's a shame that Moonlighting seems to have had a limited release: hopefully now it's won a best picture, a best support actor and a best adapted screenplay Oscar it'll be shown in more cinemas. I'd like to see it.

I've been puzzled by the lack of hype about it in this forum. I thought it was a near faultless masterpiece. Maybe it's due to its limited release.

It was the sort of film you'd watch on a flight while you're dropping off to sleep. Really surprised it won. Not even in my top 3. Manchester by the Sea was the best of the lot.

Wtf was Warren Beatty thinking? The front of the envelope clearly said 'best actress' and the card inside had the actress's name on it. Quite clearly an error. He could have nipped it in the bud at that point. Still embarrassing but not nearly as bad as letting the la land guys begin their victory speeches.

The people responsible for the envelopes, and who handed Beatty the wrong one, were from that well known organisation of utter shitcunts PriceWaterhouse Coopers.

I've been puzzled by the lack of hype about it in this forum. I thought it was a near faultless masterpiece. Maybe it's due to its limited release.
I'm puzzled by the hype around it. It was my least favorite of the 9 nominees. I thought Mahershala Ali was good in it but I felt he wasn't in it long enough. I guess my main problem was that I didn't like nor care for Chiron and did not believe where the story went in the third act.

I'm puzzled by the hype around it. It was my least favorite of the 9 nominees. I thought Mahershala Ali was good in it but I felt he wasn't in it long enough. I guess my main problem was that I didn't like nor care for Chiron and did not believe where the story went in the third act.

I just can't understand how you could watch that film and not like nor care about Chiron without having a heart of stone. I've never rooted for a character more. In fact I was rooting for all of the characters who were painted with such generosity and empathy.

Two people of color acting winners so far. Ali is apparently the first Muslim actor to win (and fifth black actor).

Viola Davis deseverdly won, in my opinion.

As Jimmy Kimmel noted in his opening - “I want to say thank you to President Trump," he began, adding: "I mean, remember last year when it seemed the Oscars were racist?”
Ali's an Ahmadi Muslim , a group that faces at best hostility and at worst hate crimes from some Muslims .

I just can't understand how you could watch that film and not like nor care about Chiron without having a heart of stone.
:( I think if they'd stuck with the little kid (or just one actor, or maybe 2) in the story, I may have done. The fact that you have 3 different people playing one character who all act differently meant for me that the story basically resets each time and I have to go on a journey with a new character. I was ok with the character and story in the first and second acts but wasn't for the third act and therefore ultimately didn't care for him at the end. The fact that all 3 versions of the character don't say much did not help with my empathy/like either.

One difficulty I have with the oscars is predicting best director other than going with the director of my choice for best film.

It's quite interesting that best director and best film went to different films and they are awarded based on different voting procedures.

Best director is given based on most number of votes and best picture is given based on some kind of ranking.

If voters have a similar difficulty deciding how to vote for best director compared to picture, it could indicate that La La Land may have won the popular vote for best picture and Moonlight won based on the ranking of votes e.g. It may not have more number 1 votes but combined with second place votes, it did better than La La Land.

Can't agree more.

Back
Top Bottom