Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Film of 2016/Oscars 2017

He was onscreen almost as long as Michelle Williams
Michelle Williams' big scene is a heartbreaker though and I think she completely deserves her nomination. That was the most emotionally devastating scene I've seen I quite a while.

I went to see Manchester by the Sea yesterday. I loved it and got very misty eyed several times, though of the three films Lonergan has written and directed (You Can Count On Me and Margaret are the other two) it comes in third place for me. Maybe it's because I find the female characters who were at the center of his last two films more interesting than another film about male, emotional inarticulacy. This film is also a little more obviously melodramatic than his other films. But I only have complaints if measuring it against Lonergan's other films, it's still a wonderful, humane and very moving film, full of fantastic performances.

Margaret, possibly his most complex and messy film, which goes off on various tangents after its many supporting characters, is still my favourite film from of his. It's a sprawling, moving, funny and incredibly wise Manhattan ensemble drama and the best film Woody Allen has never made.

Last edited:
Manchester By The Sea looks like the sort of unreconstructed Oscar bait that you'd have to pay me to watch. I'm sure it will clean up.
Saw it today.
Surprised how much I enjoyed it tbh.
Some performances worth seeing IMO esp Lucas Hedges' portrayal of a 16 year old.
I can't believe some folks have described the film as depressing; tragic, yes...but not depressing at all.

Michelle Williams' big scene is a heartbreaker though and I think she completely deserves her nomination. That was the most emotionally devastating scene I've seen I quite a while.
It really is, and the only thing wwrong with it was that it really, really, made me want top see more of her.

I went to see Manchester by the Sea yesterday. I loved it and got very misty eyed several times, though of the three films Lonergan has written and directed (You Can Count On Me and Margaret are the other two) it comes in third place for me. Maybe it's because I find the female characters who were at the center of his last two films more interesting than another film about male, emotional inarticulacy. This film is also a little more obviously melodramatic than his other films. But I only have complaints if measuring it against Lonergan's other films, it's still a wonderful, humane and very moving film, full of fantastic performances.

Margaret, possibly his most complex and messy film, which goes off on various tangents after its many supporting characters, is still my favourite film from of his. It's a sprawling, moving, funny and incredibly wise Manhattan ensemble drama and the best film Woody Allen has never made. It's also a post-9/11 film which
Spot on

So this is tomorrow night. La La Land, which I haven't seen but can confidently state is utter dog shit, will win best picture at the the expense of the correct answer; namely Arrival.

The Razzies nominees for worst film were announced earlier today. Fortunately I have not seen any of these yet, although I do want to see how bad BvS: DOJ was.

WORST PICTURE
“Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice”
“Dirty Grandpa”
“Gods of Egypt”
“Hillary’s America: The Secret History of the Democratic Party”
“Independence Day: Resurgence”
“Zoolander No. 2”

Razzie Awards 2017: Full list of nominations led by ‘Zoolander 2’ and ‘Batman v Superman’
Gods of Egypt should win that one easily :)

Batman V Superman was not as awful as some critics claimed, mostly because anything which was that awful would have been worth watching for sheer car crash value. Independence Day 2 was far worse. It managed somehow to cram in even more nauseating nods to its predecessor than either Jurassic World or Star Wars VII and had a back-of-a-fag-packet plot that someow revolved around everyone being related to everyone else for some reason.

I don't think I lasted more than about five minutes watching Zoolander 2.

Predictions?

Best Film - La La Land (outside chance for Moonlight)
Actor - Casey Affleck
Actress - Natalie Portman
Supporting Actor - Dev Patel
Supporting Actress - Viola Davis
Director - Damien Chazelle
Adapted Screenplay - tricky one...Fences maybe
Original Screenplay - Manchester by the Sea
Cinematography - La La Land
Foreign Language - The Salesman
Documentary - OJ: Made in America
Song - Can't Stop the Feeling
Score - La La Land

Best Picture
Arrival
Fences
Hacksaw Ridge
Hell or High Water not seen it
Hidden Figures
La La Land
Lion
Manchester by the Sea
Moonlight not seen it

Deserves to win: La La Land or Hacksaw Ridge

Best Actor

Casey Affleck (Manchester by the Sea)
Andrew Garfield: (Hacksaw Ridge)
Ryan Gosling: (La La Land)
Viggo Mortensen (Captain Fantastic) not seen it
Denzel Washington (Fences)

Deserves to win: Denzel Washington

Best Actress

Isabelle Huppert (Elle) not seen it
Ruth Negga (Loving)
Natalie Portman (Jackie)
Emma Stone (La La Land)
Meryl Streep (Florence Foster Jenkins)

Deserves to win: Natalie Portman

Best Supporting Actor

Mahershala Ali (Moonlight) not seen it
Jeff Bridges (Hell or High Water) not seen it
Lucas Hedges (Manchester by the Sea)
Dev Patel (Lion)
Michael Shannon (Nocturnal Animals)

Deserves to win: Michael Shannon

Best Supporting Actress

Viola Davis (Fences)
Naomie Harris (Moonlight) not seen it
Nicole Kidman (Lion)
Octavia Spencer (Hidden Figures)
Michelle Williams (Manchester by the Sea)

Deserves to win: Michelle Williams

Not sure if Williams is in it long enough to win (tho she is brilliant in her given minutes)

No one in Nocturnal Animals deserves anything but a slap

I've now seen most of the main nominated films and still think that Manchester by the Sea and Casey Affleck's performance deserve to win. I didn't see Loving but thought Isabelle Huppert's performance was the best of the other best actress nominee performances. Really surprised Elle didn't make it through to the final nominees for best foreign language film. Of the 3 foreign language nominees I saw, Land of Mine was the best in my opinion (compared to Toni Erdmann and The Salesman).

I expect La La Land to dominate winning Best picture and best director as well as Emma Stone for best actress. I think Affleck will win for actor though.

Of the supporting actor races, I would go with Jeff Bridges and Viola Davis.

Of the other main ones, I'd go:

Orig screenplay - Manchester by the Sea
Adapted screenplay - Moonlight

So I am here watching the Oscars without actually having seen any of the films as I have for the last 5 years. I love the spectacle. And I will understand the memes that will come out.

I have fizz, Doritos and salsa, and nutella and a spoon.

Yes, I thought Jimmy Kimmel did well. I don't really watch him so don't know much about him either. Some funny lines.

Bit embarrassing for Meryl Streep to get a standing ovation so soon though and also for him to bring up her dress after her recent dispute with Karl Lagerfeld/Chanel.

Mahershala Ali winning is not much of a surprise. His performance was the best thing about the film in my opinion. I didn't particularly like the film so hope it doesn't win the top prizes.

Liked seeing Ali go back to shake Bridges' hand after he initially walked past him.

Two people of color acting winners so far. Ali is apparently the first Muslim actor to win (and fifth black actor).

Viola Davis deseverdly won, in my opinion.

As Jimmy Kimmel noted in his opening - “I want to say thank you to President Trump," he began, adding: "I mean, remember last year when it seemed the Oscars were racist?”

Last edited:
Viola Davis apparently the first black actor to win an Oscar, Tony and Emmy for acting.

Also, 10th actor to win a Tony and Oscar for the same role.

The Iranian film The Salesman won best foreign language film. It was good but I didn't think it was as good as his earlier A Separation nor as interesting as Land of Mine.

Hadn't realized that Bill Nunn (who played Radio Raheem in Do the Right Thing) died last year :(

Last edited:
Predictions?

Best Film - La La Land (outside chance for Moonlight)
Actor - Casey Affleck
Actress - Natalie Portman
Supporting Actor - Dev Patel
Supporting Actress - Viola Davis
Director - Damien Chazelle
Adapted Screenplay - tricky one...Fences maybe
Original Screenplay - Manchester by the Sea
Foreign Language - The Salesman
Documentary - OJ: Made in America
Song - Can't Stop the Feeling
Score - La La Land

Not bad 8 out of 13 = 62% and you did predict the two films announced as best picture winner.

And 2 out of the 5 categories that Kesher predicted.

Back
Top Bottom