Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Oscars

I'm just glad Lady Bird won nothing.

It's clearly one of those situations where the critics had decided in advance that Greta Gerwig was going to be the next big thing and were thus obliged to heap praise upon the derivative, lukewarm crap she utimately produced.

There's also much talk of Gerwig having potentially plagiarised the entire movie:

Of LADY BIRD, REAL WOMEN HAVE CURVES, and Revisiting the Question of Plagiarism

I quite liked it. Fairly predictable though I guess.

Three billboards was clearly the best of the lot but I gather the whiff of racism sunk its chances.

This is even more toe curling than usual.

That skit where a bunch of actors went across the road to 'honour' the plebs sitting in a cinema. I'm watching the whole thing through my fingers.

I think they felt that it had become "tradition" to hand out food to the audience. I liked it the year they send a troop of Girl Scouts out to sell cookies. It was an actual surprise and it send a message of support for them. They've been under attack by the right for "promoting feminism." If you can't promote girls and women in the Girl Scouts, where can you, ffs? It's gotten to be a bit rote since. It felt forced to hand out food to the proles watching across the street. It would have been more interesting to watch millionaires, in evening attire, dive like fools for food shot out of a hotdog cannon (and they would).

I was more annoyed by the people they left out of the in memoriam montage. They didn't include John Mahonney? Glen Campbell? Adam West? David Cassidy? Della Reece? Robert Robert Guillaume? I know this segment is more noticed for who they left out, but they did an especially bad job of it this year.

Did like the jet ski contest. I know it was cheesy, but how many times do you get to see a screen writer riding a jet ski, with Helen Mirren riding bike bitch on the back? The Oscars are about cheese (and money, don't forget money.)

They literally fired hot dogs at them from some kind of hot dog gun. If someone came to a cinema where I was enjoying a film, interrupted it and did that to me I’d deck them, tuxedo or not.

And the memorial section. Wtf was Eddie vedder doing that for? He’s one of my musical heroes but surely he’s got enough in the bank to not be pimping himself out like that.

They literally fired hot dogs at them from some kind of hot dog gun. If someone came to a cinema where I was enjoying a film, interrupted it and did that to me I’d deck them, tuxedo or not.

I believe they were watching the Oscars, not a film. Hotdog canons are an American thing. You'll see them at baseball and football games a lot. They fire hotdogs, but also t-shirts and other team gear into the crowd. It's considered a bit of a coup to catch stuff without dropping it or otherwise fumbling it.

I believe they were watching the Oscars, not a film. Hotdog canons are an American thing. You'll see them at baseball and football games a lot. They fire hotdogs, but also t-shirts and other team gear into the crowd. It's considered a bit of a coup to catch stuff without dropping it or otherwise fumbling it.

No, they were watching the new Oprah film.

Acting awards are divided by gender because even now, the majority of lead roles in Hollywood films are written for male actors. And the majority of supporting roles. And the majority of incidental roles. And the majority of fucking extras in crowd scenes.

Why aren’t the other categories divided up as well then?

There was one female director nominated and four blokes. Should there be a best female director category?

Why aren’t the other categories divided up as well then?

There was one female director nominated and four blokes. Should there be a best female director category?
While producers may not choose to employ female directors, there's nothing about the job that means this director has to be a man or has to be a woman. That isn't true of actors.

It's a problem, but a different one that requires a different solution.

Frances Mcdormand would have won best actor in a merged category.

It just struck me as rather weird that there was reference after reference to the fight for equality in Hollywood and then they have two categories specifically dividing up the genders. A lot of female actresses don’t want to use that word now anyway, preferring the more generic ‘actor’ so it seems a bit odd the oscars still uses it. Even the bbc seems to have dropped the term.

Has the heavy politicking over the last few years enforced the importance or pointlessness of awarding prizes for art, I wonder .

Frances Mcdormand would have won best actor in a merged category.

It just struck me as rather weird that there was reference after reference to the fight for equality in Hollywood and then they have two categories specifically dividing up the genders. A lot of female actresses don’t want to use that word now anyway, preferring the more generic ‘actor’ so it seems a bit odd the oscars still uses it. Even the bbc seems to have dropped the term.
Yeah - i did a thread a couple of years ago, i think... the Brit awards etc manage to have female solo artist and male solo artist categories.

But afair, only the SAG awards have eschewed the word “actress”. I used to be an actor, and now teach drama and i rarely use it, but even in the profession it’s quite widespread.

I wonder if that's partly because viewers would like to actually think about the films rather than having political shit shoved down their throat at every opportunity. I watched the whole thing and plenty of the winners wanted their say on things completely unrelated to their award which has become a trend in recent years. Worthy causes but it can get a bit tiring when the point of films is escapism for many.

I wonder if that's partly because viewers would like to actually think about the films rather than having political shit shoved down their throat at every opportunity. I watched the whole thing and plenty of the winners wanted their say on things completely unrelated to their award which has become a trend in recent years. Worthy causes but it can get a bit tiring when the point of films is escapism for many.
This is really the accepted reason.

People want to see a fun night of glamourous back-slapping.

This is really the accepted reason.

People want to see a fun night of glamourous back-slapping.

Still, this was better than back slapping (back in the day)

579x325-Q100_06ddb04d9face67651b0e54edb52ec87.jpg

Back
Top Bottom