Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

2019 Oscar Nominations

Glad Olivia Coleman won. I generally think the Oscars are a pile of crap but she seems like a very nice person and is very talented so good for her.

The fact that Green Book won best Picture conforms my feelings about the Oscars. I haven't seen it so I admit I'm talking bollocks formed by my own filmic prejudices but it looks like a formulaic snorefest - in my opinion of course.
It's not boring at all, but it's mediocre white saviour bollocks

Glad Olivia Coleman won. I generally think the Oscars are a pile of crap but she seems like a very nice person and is very talented so good for her.

The fact that Green Book won best Picture conforms my feelings about the Oscars. I haven't seen it so I admit I'm talking bollocks formed by my own filmic prejudices but it looks like a formulaic snorefest - in my opinion of course.
Its worth watching imo.

Roma's is essentially just 'be nicer to your slaves guys, they're part of the family' slop.
Really? I don't think that at all. One of the rare occasions when I agree with Zizek. There are clear indications throughout the film that it's basically the opposite of that - even if you're nice to your slaves, they're still slaves, they're not part of the family, their world is not yours (the plane at the start is not her plane, she's right back in that same place at the end of the film, that's her world). It criticises the social set up from a strong pov - too easy to depict bad employers and show that up; far better to depict employers who are basically as good as any servant could dare hope for and show that up.

Really? I don't think that at all. One of the rare occasions when I agree with Zizek. There are clear indications throughout the film that it's basically the opposite of that - even if you're nice to your slaves, they're still slaves, they're not part of the family, their world is not yours

Indeed. Made very clearly in the final scene where just after she's saved one of the children's life she's just sent back down to the kitchen to make some food or whatever.

Roma's is essentially just 'be nicer to your slaves guys, they're part of the family' slop.

Some 2018ish fillums i liked better than most of the nominations. Some mentioned already on here, some not. I've watched an awful lot of shit as well. An Adam Devine one for instance.

Burning. Beoning (2018) - IMDb Best fillum of year.
Widows. Widows (2018) - IMDb Blockbuster heist fillum.
Bad Genius. Chalard games goeng (2017) - IMDb Unusual heist fillum from Thailand.
The Resistance Banker. Bankier van het Verzet (2018) - IMDb WW2 heist fillum.
Den Of Thieves. Den of Thieves (2018) - IMDb Orthodox heist fillum. If it was remade in Korea it'd be great.
Climax. Climax (2018) - IMDb For the choreography, rather than the try hard oh so shocking wig out and upside down camera.
Dogman. Dogman (2018) - IMDb Despite the jacket.
Hurricane. Hurricane (2018) - IMDb Despite somebody from game of thrones doing a what is probably an appalling Polish accent and mugging a lot.
Operation Red Sea. Hong hai xing dong (2018) - IMDb For the carnage and sheer wtf chutzpah.
Hearts Beat Loud Hearts Beat Loud (2018) - IMDb Much better than the tone deaf gaga luvviefest.
Heavy trip. Hevi reissu (2018) - IMDb Also much better, and heavier, than the tone deaf gaga luvviefest.
Anna and the Apocalypse. Anna and the Apocalypse (2017) - IMDb Cooper take note. Put some tunes in your fillum.
The Rider. The Rider (2017) - IMDb A woman made this but she forgot to put professional actors in.
Leave No Trace. Leave No Trace (2018) - IMDb
Zama. Zama (2017) - IMDb
Outside In. Outside In (2017) - IMDb
Shirkers. Shirkers (2018) - IMDb
Madeline's Madeline. Madeline's Madeline (2018) - IMDb
The Endless. The Endless (2017) - IMDb
The Negotiation. The Negotiation (2018) - IMDb
If Beale Street Could Talk If Beale Street Could Talk (2018) - IMDb
Gemini Gemini (2017) - IMDb
Overlord Overlord (2018) - IMDb
Midnighters Midnighters (2017) - IMDb
One Cut of the Dead Kamera o tomeru na! (2017) - IMDb
The Guilty. Den skyldige (2018) - IMDb
Ghost Stories. Ghost Stories (2017) - IMDb
The Sisters Brothers The Sisters Brothers (2018) - IMDb
First Reformed. First Reformed (2017) - IMDb
The Great Battle. The Great Battle (2018) - IMDb
Terrified. Aterrados (2017) - IMDb
The Night Comes for Us. The Night Comes for Us (2018) - IMDb
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (2018) - IMDb
The Captain. Der Hauptmann (2017) - IMDb
Mandy. Mandy (2018) - IMDb
Operation Finale. Operation Finale (2018) - IMDb
American Animals. American Animals (2018) - IMDb
Hereditary. Hereditary (2018) - IMDb
Upgrade. Upgrade (2018) - IMDb
Bad Day for the Cut. Bad Day for the Cut (2017) - IMDb
Paddington 2. Paddington 2 (2017) - IMDb
Syria - The Impossible Revolution. Syria - The Impossible Revolution (2018) - IMDb
Warsaw '44. City 44 (2014) - IMDb
Extinction. Extinction (2018) - IMDb
Tau. Tau (2018) - IMDb
Calibre. Calibre (2018) - IMDb
Can You Ever Forgive Me? Can You Ever Forgive Me? (2018) - IMDb
1987: When the Day Comes. 1987 (2017) - IMDb
Bodied Bodied (2017) - IMDb
It must have gone over your head that the mother, who is in charge of the maid, only is nice to her when it suits her. There are plenty of telling moments when she puts put in her place. You obviously wanted to see a far more melodramatic film where the maid gets abused by monstrous employes so we really, really get the message. Glad Roma was not that film, it is subtle in that regard. It says that this is a shit state of affairs, even when the employers aren't ogres.

That's why I find so many of Mike Leigh's and Ken Loaches later films impossible to watch, they are gratingly unsubtle, dividing the world up in heroes and villains to preach to the choir. Roma manages to get its message across without hitting you over the head with a sledgehammer.

I can see no value in copying and pasting films of 2018 from Imdb which were highly regarded. I've seen at least two thirds of them and they weren't better than Roma.

Last edited:
It must have gone over your head that the mother, who is in charge of the maid, only is nice to her when it suits her. There are plenty of telling moments when she puts put in her place. You obviously wanted to see a far more melodramatic film where the maid gets abused by monstrous employes so we really, really get the message. Glad Roma was not that film, it is subtle in that regard. It says that this is a shit state of affairs, even when the employers aren't ogres.

That's why I find so many of Mike Leigh's and Ken Loaches later films impossible to watch, they are gratingly unsubtle, dividing the world up in heroes and villains to preach to the choir. Roma manages to get its message across without hitting you over the head with a sledgehammer.

I can see no value in copying and pasting films of 2018 from Imdb which were highly regarded. I've seen at least two thirds of them and they weren't better than Roma. Hav you seent he
We watched Roma the other night, agree with your assessment - it was a great film.

Not so surprised it didn't win in that regard. It's pretty anti-Hollywood in its storytelling - it says that the world tomorrow will have all the same problems as the world today. Not seen the winner, but it sounds very much like the redemption-arc stuff that normally wins Oscars.

Haven't seen Green Book but I'd be very, very surprised if it's a better film than Roma. That absolutely should've won Best Picture and Cold War Best Foreign Language film.

I really hate that Best Picture is essentially best American -- or occasionally some other English language -- film then everything else is lumped together in the foreign language category but that's another discussion.

I also didn't rate Black Kkklansman and would've given adapted screenplay to Can You Ever Forgive Me?

Mccarthy is wonderful in Can You Ever Forgive Me? though. The film I most enjoyed of this years noms I've seen. (The best film I've seen from 2018 is Leave No Trace, which was mysteriously missing from the oscars)

I like Coleman too and enjoyed The Favourite well enough, but I didn't think it was a spectacular performance. They just like giving it to actresses playing the queen of england.
Agreed. Was pleased Regina King won Best Supporting Actress though -- thought she was excellent, if I did like the film less than everyone else seems to.

I'm pleased that remi malik won though I would prefered that he'd worn brown contact lenses and really pleased for olivia coleman, she seems to be a lovely person as well as a talented actresss.

I'm pleased that remi malik won though I would prefered that he'd worn brown contact lenses

I don't think anybody who plays a singer and then lip-synchs to the songs, should ever win an Oscar. Bradley Cooper was also nominated, actually learned to sing for his role in A Star is Born, gave a great performance and directed what is widely considered to be the far more accomplished musical drama of 2018.

Olivia Coleman and Cuaron for Roma are the two wins I'm most pleased for, most of the rest this year's Oscars was a shit show.

A Spike Lee movie was nominated and then they hand the Best Picture Oscar to a movie about race, which looks so retrograde in it's attitudes, that it could have been made in the 80s. Green Book will go down in history as one of the least deserving Best Picture winners, right next to Crash.:facepalm:

Last edited:
I haven't seen Bohemian Rhapsody, but I saw a clip of it this morning and it's it's any guide Malik's performance was a ridiculous caricature. A spitting image freddie mercury. Was it a bad example or is that right?

Best film should have been Roma, Green Book was just too light.

At least Black Panther got a few and Shallow won.

Well that's kind of what I thought it would be and I don't need to see that film again to be honest.
The white saviour description is lazy imo. Its a story (written by the son of the white guy) about a white guy is hired as a minder , most people who hire a minder want the minder to protect them which is what the white guy does. He starts off as a racist and ends less racist, the black guy starts off as an anti working class snob and at the end becomes less so. It can be criticised as twee, lightweight, , for missing out an entire analysis of racism and class in 1960s USA, for not putting at its centre the civil rights movement , for marginalised women characters etc etc but essentially its a road/buddy movie about breaking down barriers and both lead actors are good.

The white saviour description is lazy imo. Its a story (written by the son of the white guy) about a white guy is hired as a minder , most people who hire a minder want the minder to protect them which is what the white guy does. He starts off as a racist and ends less racist, the black guy starts off as an anti working class snob and at the end becomes less so. It can be criticised as twee, lightweight, , for missing out an entire analysis of racism and class in 1960s USA, for not putting at its centre the civil rights movement , for marginalised women characters etc etc but essentially its a road/buddy movie about breaking down barriers and both lead actors are good.
You're still not selling it to me! :D

We watched Roma the other night, agree with your assessment - it was a great film.
I was being a bit crudely facetious for the night that was in it but Cleo is meant to be the film's protagonist yet she is given nothing to say and we learn nothing about her life, family or wider community. She's an infantilised stereotype who's there to mirror the innocence of Cuaron's childhood rather than being say the embodiment of a layer of social hierarchy. We're supposed to believe that she's disinterested in her grandmother's land conflict and entirely ignorant of the political background of the massacre. At worst she's a loveable ignoramus and there's no suggestion that she can be anything else. Two hours of paternalistic middle class conscience salving that tbf is still miles better than A Star Is Born. Ultimately Cuaron is more interested in displaying era appropriate brands of biscuits and milk and stylistic boxticking than people. I didn't like Children Of Men for some of the same reasons.

Yes Reno. Obviously. This illustrates perfectly why I don't care what you think about fillums or what you find useful. On top of giveaways like this and your usual 'I have a projector you know' 10th rate guff, you claimed that Revenge was top 10 material. It was an exploitative rapey dreckfest fantasy for teenage boys and claphappy liberals who believe that supermodel teenagers running about in their smalls is #metoo vanguardism. It's ok to disagree and like shit fillums for particular details but this exposed you as a laughably pretentious eejit I'm afraid.

Green Book will go down in history as one of the least deserving Best Picture winners, right next to Crash
As plagiarised from the LA Times.

Oscars 2019: ‘Green Book’ is the worst best picture winner since ‘Crash’

Last edited:
I haven't seen Bohemian Rhapsody, but I saw a clip of it this morning and it's it's any guide Malik's performance was a ridiculous caricature. A spitting image freddie mercury. Was it a bad example or is that right?

Looked more like a young Mick Jagger to me. I've seen better Freddie Mercury lookalikes.

I'll give him the Live Aid bit though, that was almost spot on.

I was being a bit crudely facetious for the night that was in it but Cleo is meant to be the film's protagonist yet she is given nothing to say and we learn nothing about her life, family or wider community.
you think that's accidental? 'What's her surname?' asks the hospital administrator. 'Um,' grandmother doesn't know. Family knows nothing about her. Doesn't occur to them to ask.

I don't agree that we learn nothing about her life. The whole point is that her life is restricted by her circumstances.

Back
Top Bottom