Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Best film of 2019

I tried watching The Lighthouse last week but soon realised I didn't have a 4:3 format television to watch it on. I'm sure plenty of hipsters will be raving about how incredibly genius and artistic it was to make it B&W and 4:3 but it's just pretentious arthouse wankery, made worse by the fact that about half of the dialogue was unintelligible.

Last edited:
1. Marriage Story
2. Dragged Across Concrete
3. Midsommar
4. Parasite
5. The Lighthouse
6. I Lost My Body
7. Styx
8. Toy Story 4
9. The Souvenir
10. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Films of 2019 I still need to see: Portrait of a Lady on Fire, Pain and Glory, Knives Out, Booksmart Transit and Dr. Sleep.

The HBO series Watchmen was better than any film I saw this year.

Last edited:
This is a good list:
The 50 Best Movies of 2019
(though I don't know why Ad Astra was so highly regarded. It is not a good film. James Grey is an overrated director IMO)
It‘s most of 2019‘s usual suspects and it ranks Ad Astra far higher than other lists I’ve read. They found space for it at the lower end or not at all and I think it’s generally regarded as fine but not living up to expectations. The fact that they managed to include the new Hellboy movie.... :eek:

It‘s most of 2019‘s usual suspects and it ranks Ad Astra far higher than other lists I’ve read. They found space for it at the lower end or not at all and I think it’s generally regarded as fine but not living up to expectations. The fact that they managed to include the new Hellboy movie.... :eek:
it had a few I wasn't even aware of though

The HBO series Watchmen was better than any film I saw this year.
I'm about halfway through, and it's not really doing anything for me yet. I think the next episode is where something big happens though, so maybe that will kick it up a notch.

Anyone see the new Ken Loach, Sorry WE Missed You?

Yes. Ken works his magic again, this time on a typical working class family where both parents are working . There is a lot of obversations in this that will resonate with anybody working class, and make anybody who is not squirm . Squirm you fuckers .

Fillum maker lists are better than hack wanker ones and there are lots of interesting choices here but there are some surprisingly dull and shit ones as well. I liked Portrait of a Lady on Fire and it featured the best tune of the year but every so often an image of Jerry Springer would pop into my head to shout "Lesbians!"

35 Directors Pick Their Favorite Movies of 2019

Back
Top Bottom