Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

2019 Oscar Nominations

I was being a bit crudely facetious for the night that was in it but Cleo is meant to be the film's protagonist yet she is given nothing to say and we learn nothing about her life, family or wider community. She's an infantilised stereotype who's there to mirror the innocence of Cuaron's childhood rather than being say the embodiment of a layer of social hierarchy. We're supposed to believe that she's disinterested in her grandmother's land conflict and entirely ignorant of the political background of the massacre. At worst she's a loveable ignoramus and there's no suggestion that she can be anything else. Two hours of paternalistic middle class conscience salving that tbf is still miles better than A Star Is Born. Ultimately Cuaron is more interested in displaying era appropriate brands of biscuits and milk and stylistic boxticking than people. I didn't like Children Of Men for some of the same reasons.

Yes Reno. Obviously. This illustrates perfectly why I don't care what you think about fillums or what you find useful. On top of giveaways like this and your usual 'I have a projector you know' 10th rate guff, you claimed that Revenge was top 10 material. It was an exploitative rapey dreckfest fantasy for teenage boys and claphappy liberals who believe that supermodel teenagers running about in their smalls is #metoo vanguardism. It's ok to disagree and like shit fillums for particular details but this exposed you as a laughably pretentious eejit I'm afraid.

As plagiarised from the LA Times.

Oscars 2019: ‘Green Book’ is the worst best picture winner since ‘Crash’
Oh fuck off. It's a widely held opinion that Green Book was a terrible choice, I didn't need to plagiarise the LA Times.

I know what to make of peoples responses once they dredge out old grudges and resort to petty personal attacks. You are being an arse.

You are also in a distinct minority in your opinion on Revenge, so don’t try use me liking the film from disqualifying my opinions on film in general.

Revenge (2018)

Last edited:
I was being a bit crudely facetious for the night that was in it but Cleo is meant to be the film's protagonist yet she is given nothing to say and we learn nothing about her life, family or wider community. She's an infantilised stereotype who's there to mirror the innocence of Cuaron's childhood rather than being say the embodiment of a layer of social hierarchy. We're supposed to believe that she's disinterested in her grandmother's land conflict and entirely ignorant of the political background of the massacre. At worst she's a loveable ignoramus and there's no suggestion that she can be anything else.
I thought the performance spoke more of alienation and trauma than some sort of wide-eyed innocence tbh.

No way Green Book the best film in this list:
  • Winner: Green Book
  • BlacKkKlansman
  • Black Panther
  • Bohemian Rhapsody
  • The Favourite
  • Roma
  • A Star Is Born
  • Vice

I am glad Spider-Man: into the Spider-Verse won best animated film. Was a cracking lark

I thought the performance spoke more of alienation and trauma than some sort of wide-eyed innocence tbh.
Me too.

And she is limited in her outlook. She is limited in her ability to take a wider perspective on her own life, in many ways. Even the Hawk-cunt holds her in contempt for it, and his way 'out' of his circumstances is to become a pawn of the authorities! That's not set up as some kind of ideal. Quite the reverse. But no alternative is provided - and that's key. To provide an alternative would be to turn the film into a piece of Hollywood mush. The fact of those limitations, that she cannot be anything else, is at the heart of the whole film, I think. It is an intriguingly warm study with unremittingly bleak conclusions - there isn't some better world she is going to move on to. This is it.

You are also in a distinct minority in your opinion on Revenge, so don’t try use me liking the film from disqualifying my opinions on film in general.

Revenge (2018)
I've always wondered what kind of twat takes neckbeard central Rotten Tomatoes seriously. Its 'top 100 fillums of all time' features a total of 6 non English language titles. Baby Driver is at number 30. I'm not sure how citing scores from there supports your argument. It does however confirm my view that you're a spoofer.

Top 100 Movies of All Time - Rotten Tomatoes

Where's Shawshank Redemption? Ridiculous.

I've always wondered what kind of twat takes neckbeard central Rotten Tomatoes seriously. Its 'top 100 fillums of all time' features a total of 6 non English language titles. Baby Driver is at number 30. I'm not sure how citing scores from there supports your argument. It does however confirm my view that you're a spoofer.

The lists go by how many good reviews there are, not by how well reviewed films are. It’s a review aggregator, unlike IMDb it’s not an opinion site which lists films by actual popularity. Another nuance you are unable to grasp. If you bother to actually have a look rather than dribble bile in a desperate need to discredit me, you’ll still see that Revenge got great reviews from well respected critics who unlike you, understand what the film is doing.

I also see little of support for your allegedly superior take on Roma on this thread.

Last edited:
I never claimed that my opinion on Roma was superior or anything close to it. Spoofer like I said.

That's number one on imdb, thus proving they don't know shit either

Where's anything last century? Few and far between...
It's a review aggregator, so it mostly features films which have been released since the site was launched - old films don't get reviewed so much. Presume the films which feature in the top 100 from before 2009 must have had theatrical re-issues in the last decade.

I find rotten tomatoes pretty useful for hollywood films, less so for british films which all get a high score because they only get reviewed by the british press and the british press review british films... generously.

Metacritic is ok for finding out if you might like a film or not, cos you can find a critic or a publication you trust and respect and see what they think.

It's a review aggregator, so it mostly features films which have been released since the site was launched - old films don't get reviewed so much. Presume the films which feature in the top 100 from before 2009 must have had theatrical re-issues in the last decade.

I find rotten tomatoes pretty useful for hollywood films, less so for british films which all get a high score because they only get reviewed by the british press and the british press review british films... generously.
Rotten tomatoes is interesting to look at to note the disparity between the reviewers and the paying cinema goers on certain films;
Roma
Black Panther
Bohemian Rhaosody
The Greatest Showman

I was being a bit crudely facetious for the night that was in it but Cleo is meant to be the film's protagonist yet she is given nothing to say and we learn nothing about her life, family or wider community. She's an infantilised stereotype who's there to mirror the innocence of Cuaron's childhood rather than being say the embodiment of a layer of social hierarchy....
Nah...it's more about existence being a shared experience of loneliness.

Back
Top Bottom