Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Oscars

Acting awards are divided by gender because even now, the majority of lead roles in Hollywood films are written for male actors. And the majority of supporting roles. And the majority of incidental roles. And the majority of fucking extras in crowd scenes.

I'm at a film festival (which I've been involved in organising) this weekend. Doesn't seem that heavily skewed in the films I've reviewed for it, but this ain't mass market stuff. Might make some notes to see if I've just not noticed due to some degree of unconscious bias, though...

I'm at a film festival (which I've been involved in organising) this weekend. Doesn't seem that heavily skewed in the films I've reviewed for it, but this ain't mass market stuff. Might make some notes to see if I've just not noticed due to some degree of unconscious bias, though...
Have a look at the Geena Davis Institute's research.

Might also be interesting to keep the Bechdel test in mind...

I assume Chris Rock didn't know about the alopecia. But regardless, no Will Smith, just no. You're a role model. And clearly a fucking dick. True life violence when impressionable kids are watching, no.

Oh and his portrayal of Richard Williams was ok, not better than Camberbatch though, quite clearly. And the movie (which he executive produced) was completely inaccurate. It skipped out all the bad shit that son of a bitch did and exaggerated his genius.

Perhaps some of you can help Owen to know what to think…

I was all ready to laugh at OJ but it's an informative thread. It raises many issues, including whether a theatrical slap is violent violence, whether white people's quickness to condemn is a function of racism, and whether alopecia is a disability - with other disabled people arguing that it is (I'd thought of it as disfigurement when it happens to women, so more difficult to deal with than male baldness, but maybe I need to think again about the disabling effects of emotional distress?) and the extent to which wealth protects people like Will Smith and his wife from racism. And more...

I was all ready to laugh at OJ but it's an informative thread. It raises many issues, including whether a theatrical slap is violent violence, whether white people's quickness to condemn is a function of racism, and whether alopecia is a disability - with other disabled people arguing that it is (I'd thought of it as disfigurement when it happens to women, so more difficult to deal with than male baldness, but maybe I need to think again about the disabling effects of emotional distress?) and the extent to which wealth protects people like Will Smith and his wife from racism. And more...
Aye, tbh, while I get that "what is the correct take" can come across as "tell me what to think" or "tell me how to be popular", personally I also feel like it should be ok, possibly even encouraged, to say "look, I'm not sure how to feel about this, what do you guys think?" as a way to explore an issue and learn from other perspectives and POVs.

But, then, that might be because it's how I feel about a lot of situations, including this one (which I really haven't 'explored' all that much, tbh, in terms of either watching the incident or seeking out nuanced commentary).

Ricky Gervais goes far further usually in his Golden Globes monologues and as far as I know has escaped bitchy slaps on stage. It's part of the job. You earn $20m a movie or whatever, you get roasted at awards ceremonies.

Anyway, Will Smith's career will be in tatters for a while but he'll come back. Even Mel Gibson managed to. I doubt he'll be voicing Aladdin etc any time soon though.

I'm sorry for Jada Pinkett Smith, having alopecia must be really hard. But this just feels like yet another take on men 'defending' their womenfolk using violence. Which is so fucking old and tedious and shit. If that were me, I'd be utterly fucked off at him. (By 'him' I mean Will Smith though I guess I'd be pretty fucked off at Chris Rock too.)

(Also interesting that initially he laughs along, then he sees his wife rolling her eyes and looking pissed off and it's only then that he heads for the stage.)

I'm sorry for Jada Pinkett Smith, having alopecia must be really hard. But this just feels like yet another take on men 'defending' their womenfolk using violence. Which is so fucking old and tedious and shit. If that were me, I'd be utterly fucked off at him. (By 'him' I mean Will Smith though I guess I'd be pretty fucked off at Chris Rock too.)

(Also interesting that initially he laughs along, then he sees his wife rolling her eyes and looking pissed off and it's only then that he heads for the stage.)
Exactly this

I assume Chris Rock didn't know about the alopecia. But regardless, no Will Smith, just no. You're a role model. And clearly a fucking dick. True life violence when impressionable kids are watching, no.

Oh and his portrayal of Richard Williams was ok, not better than Camberbatch though, quite clearly. And the movie (which he executive produced) was completely inaccurate. It skipped out all the bad shit that son of a bitch did and exaggerated his genius.

oh come on , no kids watch the Oscars

and publicly stunt so screw it no one watched or cared about the Oscars last year so drama in this year's

now seeming as Smith trained for the Ali movie if it was real he would of knocked him on his are and not slapped him

Last edited:
oh come on kids watch the Oscars

and publicly stunt so screw it no one watched or cared about the Oscars last year so drama in this year's

now seeming as Smith trained for the Ali movie if it was real he would of knocked him on his are and not slapped him
Assuming he wanted to do that, surely? Seen plenty of situations where someone has slapped another person to 'make a point' rather than actually cause serious physical damage.

Yeah, there's A LOT to unpack... I don't agree with violence, but I also don't agree with laughing at people's conditions, but also famous people should be able to take a joke, but also no one should have to put up with this shit, and maybe Will Smith (who initially laughed at the joke) was overwhelmed by the occasion - and when he saw Jada's upset face and decided to do something, anything, to show that's not ok to hurt his wife's feelings. He didn't hit Chris hard, clearly - otherwise he would have fallen over, but still, the use of violence like that will make a lot of comedians think twice from now... So, yeah, there's a A LOT to think about.

It would have been really cool if Jada herself got up and slapped his face though, instead of Will Smith.

It all seems so dramatic it's really hard to believe it wasn't a set up, but it really seems it wasn't.

Assuming he wanted to do that, surely? Seen plenty of situations where someone has slapped another person to 'make a point' rather than actually cause serious physical damage.

if they end up doing a celebrity boxing match will you at least concide it was a scripted event to garner interest in a boring 4 hour long award show

This. All this ‘my wife’ stuff.

Toxic masculinity. And people wonder what we can do about male violence :facepalm:

Toe curlingly he then had to accept his award for playing a violent man (the violence largely airbrushed out in the film). His reaction to the whole thing is pretty bizarre too. Performing all his 'hits' at the vanity fair party, rocking out on the dance floor all night with his oscar.

Correct thing to do would have been for Smith to hold Rock down while his missus punched him in the face.

Two in the eye for the Patrarchy, that would have been.

Reactions: Ax^
Back
Top Bottom