Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Oscars

That article is brilliantly funny, but to avoid accusations of racism the author should have included cases of the other racial combinations of men who have slapped each other at the Oscars.

Robinson is Black - I think he summed it all up pretty well with these lines.

This was a great night for Black folks, but now all our white coworkers are gonna ask us what we thought about Smith smacking Rock.

I can’t believe I have to say this, but you shouldn’t hit someone even if they’re gross and take cheap shots at your wife.

Robinson is Black - I think he summed it all up pretty well with these lines.

This was a great night for Black folks, but now all our white coworkers are gonna ask us what we thought about Smith smacking Rock.

I can’t believe I have to say this, but you shouldn’t hit someone even if they’re gross and take cheap shots at your wife.

I meant the “first Black man to slap another Black man at the Oscars” comment. I want to know when a white (White?) man slapped a white man.

Or just who slapped who, and when.

Certainly a white man slapping a black man, or vice versa, would be edgy in very different ways but there is a world of slapper/slappee combinations out there.

I'm still not certain it wasn't a setup that went a bit wonky, but I could be wrong. Here's a Tik Tok posted to Will Smith's account before the Oscars:

It could just be a "don't we look great" video. Either way, it doesn't age well.

Anyway as far as the films go I won't be in a rush to watch Coda.

Sounds like the sort of thing you'd imagine from a Hollywood/Apple film about people with disabilities. Maybe the French film it's based on is better.
I thought it was very good. What sort of thing do you imagine it to be? The deaf actors in it were exceptional. The father in particular was very funny. The (non-deaf) daughter (Aled Jones’ daughter) was excellent too.

I think Will Smith just lost control due to the tension of whether he is going to win. With the possible exception of Tom Cruise, there is nobody who compares to him in terms sheer ambition and in micro-managing their career (and their image as an affable nice guy). After climbing to the top of the list of most bankeable stars, he started starring in obvious Oscar bait, he's been after that award for decades. Then he blows it minutes before what was supposed to be the crowning moment of his career. Everybody is talking about him slapping Chris Rock now, nobody is talking about his win.

I thought it was very good. What sort of thing do you imagine it to be? The deaf actors in it were exceptional. The father in particular was very funny. The (non-deaf) daughter (Aled Jones’ daughter) was excellent too.
I was thinking more like something schmaltzy with clichés fudged into a feel good story that I could feel very cynical about. :D

I think Will Smith just lost control due to the tension of whether he is going to win. With the possible exception of Tom Cruise, there is nobody who compares to him in terms sheer ambition and in micro-managing their career (and their image as an affable nice guy). After climbing to the top of the list of most bankeable stars, he started starring in obvious Oscar bait, he's been after that award for decades. Then he blows it minutes before what was supposed to be the crowning moment of his career. Everybody is talking about him slapping Chris Rock now, nobody is talking about his win.

What Denzel Washington said to Smith afterward supports that, I reckon.

Or, more importantly, talking about the achievements of women:

For someone as hugely famous as Will Smith i think he has made very few great films, if any, and a whole lot of shit.

Edit- Men in Black was great

Or, more importantly, talking about the achievements of women:

People care about the Oscars a hell of a lot less than they used to (viewing figures for Oscars, Grammys and Emmies have been in free-fall for a decade now).

Means anything really dramatic is even more likely to overshadow achievements that are less headline-worthy.

The Smiths and Rock have been friends since they were barely more than kids, which makes me wonder what else is up.

I wouldn’t be surprised if a divorce happens in the next year or so. Something is a bit borked.

People care about the Oscars a hell of a lot less than they used to (viewing figures for Oscars, Grammys and Emmies have been in free-fall for a decade now).

I haven't seen a single nominated film this year. There's so many streaming services and small-run productions that don't play where I live that its impossible to develop an interest in the Oscars. Add to that the tendency of the Academy to cut anything that's interesting, such as the actual awards, in favor of filler like crappy monologs and song and dance numbers, and its even less interesting than watching paint dry.

I haven't seen a single nominated film this year. There's so many streaming services and small-run productions that don't play where I live that its impossible to develop any interest in the Oscars.

Yeah, the streaming stuff has been growing for years and the pandemic has hit really hard too.

I’m lucky to have several small independent cinemas near me, but the overall industry seems to have been kept afloat by lowest common denominator pap.

I can also see why people might go to their mates’ opinions mixed with rottentomatoes and similar when choosing what to watch. The whole big-spending back-slapping shebang is wearing a bit too.

pretty crazy footage. but man did it looked stage. even had teh swack! sound affect. don't knwo what to make of it, if it was a postman who done it to a boss he'd be knicked now and losing his job.

I’m sure some cynical people will view it like that but I found it a good story with great performances.

That's exactly what it is. I found it very sweet and funny but it's not the kind of movie for everyone.

The fact that this is now the most talked-about Oscars in years makes me wonder if the Academy is going to try to get the most combustible mix possible of people onstage next year.

In a few decades, old-timers might be talking about how they can remember when The Academy Presents Celebrity Cagefights used to be an awards show.

The fact that this is now the most talked-about Oscars in years makes me wonder if the Academy is going to try to get the most combustible mix possible of people onstage next year.

In a few decades, old-timers might be talking about how they can remember when The Academy Presents Celebrity Cagefights used to be an awards show.

As appealing as that sounds, I think the genie is out of the bottle now and people will just watch the best bits of the fights on YouTube the next day.

For someone as hugely famous as Will Smith i think he has made very few great films, if any, and a whole lot of shit.

Edit- Men in Black was great
That's true, there isn't much in his filmography I care for. My favourite film of his is one of his first, Six Degrees of Separation and he's great in it.

Independence Day was shit though. I mean I love sci fi and I love apocalyptic stuff and I love alien spaceships and explosions, and I thought it was shit.
It was great up until the dog jumped in the doorway in the tunnel.
First half was basically first half of Childhood's End by Arthur C Clarke.
I do also love an aggressive alien

Reactions: Ax^
Independence Day was shit though. I mean I love sci fi and I love apocalyptic stuff and I love alien spaceships and explosions, and I thought it was shit.

I loved it. Everyone I went with hated it.
This may have been down to the fact that I thought I was watching a spoof.

Back
Top Bottom