Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Last of Us

And that’s the other reason why this is getting such positive reviews. This is literally the first time a screen adaptation of a video game has been of genuine, award-winning quality. I certainly thought I’d rather watch paint drying when I first heard of yet another video game TV adaptation.

There's no reason why a narrative driven game shouldn't make for a good TV or film adaptation if the talent is there and the makers understand the difference between what works in a game and what works on TV/film. Different case for things like Sonic, Mario, etc.

Due to this sunday being the super bowl in america. Hbo are releasing episode 5 of the last of us 2 days early in the states to avoid a clash. Sky and Now TV in the UK have now confirmed they will also release it early here on Saturday at 2am.

That's my sunday night sorted. Fab! :thumbs:

And that’s the other reason why this is getting such positive reviews. This is literally the first time a screen adaptation of a video game has been of genuine, award-winning quality. I certainly thought I’d rather watch paint drying when I first heard of yet another video game TV adaptation.
To be fair the game was pretty special on it's own but the series is the mutz so far.

We were very happy to get it on a Sunday, with less waiting.

The girl playing Ellie is just astounding. A lot of it is the writing, too - she's just so believable. Annoying, tough, complicated, lost, briefly happy when she meets a kid younger than her and can act like a kid again, and she feels a connection to him and does what she thinks might save him. It doesn't.

Melanie Lynksey's character seems a little too brutal to me, TBH. She has so many people killed that there just aren't going to be many left.

(I know I described one person by their character, and one by the actress, but I think that's how most people will remember them).

Those warning about what happened with the Walking Dead do have a point. It's different now, though. TWD was made when there was that 100 episode thing for syndication that meant the company made their money back. Now it's far more flexible, and shorter series have more of a chance.

Last edited:
We were very happy to get it on a Sunday, with less waiting.

[ispolier]
The girl playing Ellie is just astounding. A lot of it is the writing, too - she's just so believable. Annoying, tough, complicated, lost, briefly happy when she meets a kid younger than her and can act like a kid again, and she feels a connection to him and does what she thinks might save him. It doesn't.

Melanie Lynksey's character seems a little too brutal to me, TBH. She has so many people killed that there just aren't going to be many left.

(I know I described one person by their character, and one by the actress, but I think that's how most people will remember them).

[/ispolier]

Those warning about what happened with the Walking Dead do have a point. It's different now, though. TWD was made when there was that 100 episode thing for syndication that meant the company made their money back. Now it's far more flexible, and shorter series have more of a chance.
Your spoiler code doesn’t seem to be working…

I'd like a to see/play through a story set in the equivalent UK in 2023. Interesting to explore about how the UK might have dealt with the situation differently and what might have resulted. 'The Last of UK' please!

I thought the set piece at the end, with the eruption of infected was jaw dropping good. Even that larger infected, the Hulk like one, was well done.

I’m 2 in and this is shite. It’s like a video game ( obvs) . Mild peril. Climb to top of building. Find way out . Repeat. Reviewers are off their nuts if this the worth 5 *

I’m 2 in and this is shite. It’s like a video game ( obvs) . Mild peril. Climb to top of building. Find way out . Repeat. Reviewers are off their nuts if this the worth 5 *
Episode three is brilliant in terms of character portrayal and character development, wonderful stuff. The storytelling in that episode is superb.

• Love
Reactions: LDC
Yes. It's good enough to watch and it goes by fine but it's not the second coming.

The end of the second series of Mr Inbetween makes any of this look like the formulaic stuff it is.

Perhaps professional critics and us ordinary peeps alike (including me I guess) might have been carried away with the initial rave reviews. It’s a common enough occurrence when a new series or film first appears, and subsequent reviews a couple of years down the line usually bring the overall assessment down to a more balanced level.

But I don’t think I would ever come to subsequently see this as shit. Annoyingly overhyped perhaps, sure. As we all do regarding countless other cult status series when watched objectively today. But I can’t imagine my opinion of this ever dipping that much.

In any case, as you mention that it reminds you of a video game, I’d urge you to watch episode 3 even if you ditch the rest. I am not saying it will magically convert you and make you love the series, but you can rest assured episode 3 is not only nothing like the rest of this series or any video game, but that that it’s one of the most moving and overall bloody superb individual episodes of any TV series made in the last few years. It works perfectly well as a standalone story anyway, so you have nothing to lose.

Perhaps professional critics and us ordinary peeps alike (including me I guess) might have been carried away with the initial rave reviews. It’s a common enough occurrence when a new series or film first appears, and subsequent reviews a couple of years down the line usually bring the overall assessment down to a more balanced level.

But I don’t think I would ever come to subsequently see this as shit. Annoyingly overhyped perhaps, sure. As we all do regarding countless other cult status series when watched objectively today. But I can’t imagine my opinion of this ever dipping that much.

In any case, as you mention that it reminds you of a video game, I’d urge you to watch episode 3 even if you ditch the rest. I am not saying it will magically convert you and make you love the series, but you can rest assured episode 3 is not only nothing like the rest of this series or any video game, but that that it’s one of the most moving and overall bloody superb individual episodes of any TV series made in the last few years. It works perfectly well as a standalone story anyway, so you have nothing to lose.

Yes, this is absolutely correct. Fair enough if the shows not for you but if you're gonna bin it off, do it after ep3.

It must be good, it is from a game :p but really is good
fun and easy for us older people to understand.

Last edited:
so joel is looking dead :eek: (barring some unlikely miracle)?
Well, we haven’t seen definite proof so until next week he’s a human Schroeder’s Cat. Don’t think the series makers would be afraid of killing him off though, so we are at their mercy

Another great episode. And I was very happy that they didn’t spend more time than the bare minimum at the brother’s lovely utopian colony. I would have hated the characters several episodes there, Dead Walking style

Well, we haven’t seen definite proof so until next week he’s a human Schroeder’s Cat. Don’t think the series makers would be afraid of killing him off though, so we are at their mercy

Another great episode. And I was very happy that they didn’t spend more time than the bare minimum at the brother’s lovely utopian colony. I would have hated the characters several episodes there, Dead Walking style
apparently that place features in the second game so we are likely to return there at some point. Maybe in next series though.

actually thinking about it if joel is still alive she will probably go back there with him. Where else would she go?

I love that. He said "So you're communists?" as an insult, brother responds NO WAY, still thinking of it as an insult. And then reality sinks in :). Yes, this is what communism is, BAM! (or at least what it should be when it's not destroyed by greed).

I'd have thought of it also as anarchism - but now sure how democratic elections would fit with that, still, no government as such... But that would have been too much for one scene maybe.

Back
Top Bottom