Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Last of Us

This has good things about it but has a content/speed ratio that isn't great. And direction that isn't good enough to make the slow shots interesting. So I ended up watching the first two episodes on 1.25 speed and even then skipping forward with the ten second skip button when it's clear that they're e.g. just going to be walking down a corridor with suspenseful music for the next forty seconds. Sounds like episode 3 is interesting so I'll give that a shot.

This has good things about it but has a content/speed ratio that isn't great. And direction that isn't good enough to make the slow shots interesting. So I ended up watching the first two episodes on 1.25 speed and even then skipping forward with the ten second skip button when it's clear that they're e.g. just going to be walking down a corridor with suspenseful music for the next forty seconds. Sounds like episode 3 is interesting so I'll give that a shot.

Yeah, those bits were way better in the game.

Still didn't explain why she's immune or what happened to her friend... I thought it dragged on a bit too.
I would assume Ellie had to kill her friend when she "turned". Eventually the other fireflies must have shown up looking for her friend and found Ellie. Maybe they'll show more in a future episode.

So episode three is impressive in many ways. It's quite structurally daring for a mainstream tv series, but at the same time I don't feel the structure quite works.

Because what you end up with is this long emotion side story but when it hits the main story it simply functions as an explanation for an arms/vehicle dump that the protaganists can use. I think it cheapens the story a bit to have it serve such a minor function.

But points for trying to do something different, and the girl is pretty interesting as a character, so I might watch a bit more.

I've enjoyed this show so far, mainly because of the acting and chemistry between the main characters, but still think it's a bit overrated. I'm sure if I went back and watched the first few series of TWD they would be way better in comparison.

Main gripes -
Many things are rushed and don't carry enough weight. The baddie in episodes 4 + 5 wasn't around long enough to generate any tension. Didn't help that she was completely unthreatening.
The big action scene at the end of episode 5 was terrible. My pet hate: sped up monsters. Sped up monsters/zombies/whatever always look terrible and fake. I couldn't really give a crap. Perhaps it's just as well that the scenes of horror have been marginalised, as the only good one so far was the clicker attack in the museum.

So episode three is impressive in many ways. It's quite structurally daring for a mainstream tv series, but at the same time I don't feel the structure quite works.

But points for trying to do something different, and the girl is pretty interesting as a character, so I might watch a bit more.
There's that functional purpose yes, but also
Frank found that he had a reason to live, rather than walling himself off from the world, and that was to love and help another person. And then that lesson is given to Joel via the letter at the end.

I think it could be argued that the initial widespread pants-creaming rave reviews based on the early episodes might perhaps now feel a bit OTT in hindsight.

However this still remains a thoroughly entertaining, well paced and perfectly fine tuned series. Certainly one that pisses all over The
Walking Dead once its novelty wears off.

I've enjoyed this show so far, mainly because of the acting and chemistry between the main characters, but still think it's a bit overrated. I'm sure if I went back and watched the first few series of TWD they would be way better in comparison.

Main gripes -
Many things are rushed and don't carry enough weight. The baddie in episodes 4 + 5 wasn't around long enough to generate any tension. Didn't help that she was completely unthreatening.
The big action scene at the end of episode 5 was terrible. My pet hate: sped up monsters. Sped up monsters/zombies/whatever always look terrible and fake. I couldn't really give a crap. Perhaps it's just as well that the scenes of horror have been marginalised, as the only good one so far was the clicker attack in the museum.
She was totally threatening. Thought that character was chilling as fuck in her certainty and command of her underlings

Wow… that was fucking intense :eek:

One small criticism
Where the fuck was everyone else in the commune during the final battle? The village hall goes up in flames but nobody comes out to investigate, never mind check for trouble?

But a pretty good episode nonetheless :)

Wow… that was fucking intense :eek:

One small criticism
Where the fuck was everyone else in the commune during the final battle? The village hall goes up in flames but nobody comes out to investigate, never mind check for trouble?

But a pretty good episode nonetheless :)

Yeah, amazing episode, best yet IMO.

Only issue I had with it on watching was

"Joel's amazing return to rude health, even with all that penicillin!"

Though you make a fair point too.

Yeah, I agree with your point as well, though I guess that’s such an established and expected plot device of any thriller or action story where any character is in the same predicament, I have come to no further question its implausibility.

On a different note, I tend to think I am a pretty good judge of character when first being introduced to a new character in a film of series, but I certainly got it wrong with the preacher. I maintained he was probably a good apple overall until it had become obvious he was anything but. My OH on the other hand accurately predicted he was a wrong’un, and then a nonce well before both traits became apparent.

I thought the place was a bit away from the main town otherwise people might see the hanging bodies.

This is utterly brilliant imho. I love the fact that it’s character driven, and that the infected scenes are used sparingly. Great acting from the two leads.

I don’t agree. I think it’s perfectly judged.

Yeah, I agree with your point as well, though I guess that’s such an established and expected plot device of any thriller or action story where any character is in the same predicament, I have come to no further question its implausibility.

On a different note, I tend to think I am a pretty good judge of character when first being introduced to a new character in a film of series, but I certainly got it wrong with the preacher. I maintained he was probably a good apple overall until it had become obvious he was anything but. My OH on the other hand accurately predicted he was a wrong’un, and then a nonce well before both traits became apparent.
got that the second he said 'professeur tourné prédicateur' - he had that look in his eye.

Cracking episode this time, despite it being a tad dubious that no one noticed that big raging fire.

I think it's the final episode next week. Really quite eager to see how they conclude this.

Bella Ramsay: I often struggle to take anyone born after the millenium seriously but, what an amazing actor.

Back
Top Bottom