Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Last of Us

Why?

For killing all those people to save Ellie or lying to Ellie or both?
Both.

But more because he is so damaged by the loss of his daughter that it made him try to kill himself, and then later on kill lots of other people because he couldn't take losing Ellie. The leader of the fireflies was right about what Ellie would have wanted, and he's responsible for the deaths of what? 20 innocent people? All because of his own emotional damage.

And then in the longer term he's fucked up cos you don't do stuff like that without consequences.

So he's pretty fucked up in lots of ways.

the ending was exquisite, not at all what I was hoping for obvs but something like the true old fashioned meaning of tragedy. Joel’s descent into violence and dishonesty happens because after fighting it all year he finally gives in and allows himself to love her, the one he lies to. It’s one of the saddest things I’ve ever seen on a telly.

I felt a real sense of Joel's selfishness at the end of the programme (obviously as part of a mixed bouquet of morally ambiguous feelings that is the hallmark of this story) that I didn't really get from the game.

Both.

But more because he is so damaged by the loss of his daughter that it made him try to kill himself, and then later on kill lots of other people because he couldn't take losing Ellie. The leader of the fireflies was right about what Ellie would have wanted, and he's responsible for the deaths of what? 20 innocent people? All because of his own emotional damage.

And then in the longer term he's fucked up cos you don't do stuff like that without consequences.

So he's pretty fucked up in lots of ways.

I disagree! The people he killed were not innocent, they were part of a joint enterprise to murder Ellie. If Ellie wanted to be sacrificed then the Fireflies could have sought her consent, but they didn't, instead the deceived her. Perhaps they were overall justified in murdering her because the stakes were so high, but its a stretch to present them as innocent! Many people would chose to save a loved one in a situation like that, even if it would be hugely detrimental to humanity as a whole. Joel's deception of Ellie was more problematic in my opinion, but not monstrous.

I disagree! The people he killed were not innocent, they were part of a joint enterprise to murder Ellie. If Ellie wanted to be sacrificed then the Fireflies could have sought her consent, but they didn't, instead the deceived her. Perhaps they were overall justified in murdering her because the stakes were so high, but its a stretch to present them as innocent! Many people would chose to save a loved one in a situation like that, even if it would be hugely detrimental to humanity as a whole. Joel's deception of Ellie was more problematic in my opinion, but not monstrous.
Yeah, they definitely should have asked her first 😁 but this episode is the payoff of the whole series. What happens in the first episode is responsible for what happens in the last one.

Surprised I'd never seen this mentioned in relation to The Last of Us. Seems very much part of the same universe (though it was released a couple of years prior to the TV show). Well worth a watch.

Back
Top Bottom