Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Generic Tennis Thread

Thanks, but I'm not interested in your opinion on women.

What does that mean? She's a tax dodger, I don't care what her gender is. Fair play to her... If you can get away with it, why not... But the numbers are eye watering as a 'brand ambassador', they're all up to it. She's probably not even aware of the machine is going behind the scenes.

One of my friends works on her accounts, well some of her money anyway. You might not like her so much if you saw how much she gets paid (and hides away from the taxman). It's mind boggling considering she's basically a one hit wonder.
I don't care how much she gets paid. All top tennis players get paid a lot. And given that prize money amounts are public, hiding it away isn't easy.

Rather predictably, there's a bit of a ding-dong brewing over Raducanu's decision to pull out of the mixed doubles, which was to be Murray's final competitive appearance at Wimbledon.

Andy Murray's Wimbledon career is over after Emma Raducanu pulled out of their planned appearance in the mixed doubles.

Former world number one Murray, 37, was due to play alongside his fellow Briton on Saturday evening at the All England Club.

Raducanu, 21, said she has "some stiffness" in her right wrist.

"I have decided to make the very tough decision to withdraw from the mixed doubles," she said.

"I’m disappointed as I was really looking forward to playing with Andy but I've got to take care."

The Scot was not permitted to find a replacement partner for Raducanu under tournament rules because the draw had already been made.

It means Murray made his final appearance on Thursday when he lost alongside older brother Jamie in the men's doubles.

Murray pulled out of the singles on Tuesday as he continues to recover from a back operation on 22 June.

I only had a brief look, but does actually look like both sides are being argued, rather than it just being a big pile on.

Rather predictably, there's a bit of a ding-dong brewing over Raducanu's decision to pull out of the mixed doubles, which was to be Murray's final competitive appearance at Wimbledon.

I only had a brief look, but does actually look like both sides are being argued, rather than it just being a big pile on.
I feel for Murray over this.

Really bad decision by Raducanu and her team. She obviously wants to prioritise singles, which is completely understandable, and to avoid overplaying due to not being that long back from injury - again totally understandable.

Anyone with half a brain could see that the scheduling of mixed doubles would make the situation we are now in to be a pretty likely scenario - so why enter mixed doubles at all? Very silly decision.

Why did not ask Katie Boulter to be his partner would of made a lot more sense

I feel for Murray over this.

Really bad decision by Raducanu and her team. She obviously wants to prioritise singles, which is completely understandable, and to avoid overplaying due to not being that long back from injury - again totally understandable.

Anyone with half a brain could see that the scheduling of mixed doubles would make the situation we are now in to be a pretty likely scenario - so why enter mixed doubles at all? Very silly decision.
I think it's a common situation that a lot of singles players find themselves in when they choose to play doubles at a tournament. If one of the pairing finds themselves going deep in the singles draw, their partner mysteriously develops an injury, so they can withdraw from the doubles.

Although the situation with Murray and Raducanu is slightly different, I'm sure Murray would be well aware of the possibility that his partner, whoever they may have been, would prioritise their singles matches over a doubles one.

It is a huge shame that Murray's final Wimbledon has ended the way it has, but I'm fairly sure he understands.

I think it's a common situation that a lot of singles players find themselves in when they choose to play doubles at a tournament. If one of the pairing finds themselves going deep in the singles draw, their partner mysteriously develops an injury, so they can withdraw from the doubles.

Although the situation with Murray and Raducanu is slightly different, I'm sure Murray would be well aware of the possibility that his partner, whoever they may have been, would prioritise their singles matches over a doubles one.

It is a huge shame that Murray's final Wimbledon has ended the way it has, but I'm fairly sure he understands.
I'm sure he understands, but given the situation, and that the mixed doubles partnerships are announced relatively late in the tournament, it was perhaps a rather silly decision for her and her team to take.

Rather a sad way for her to win with Madison Keys retirement. I hope she can hold up against her next opponent, likely to be Coco Gauff.

Yes, that was such a shame :( It really could have gone either way - probably the match of the tournament so far up till that point.

After being dominated for the first two sets, Humbert is putting a hell of a fight against Alcaraz right now. Great match all of the sudden!

I don't care how much she gets paid. All top tennis players get paid a lot. And given that prize money amounts are public, hiding it away isn't easy.

A) shes not a top player (shes 135th in the world) and B) I'm not talking about the money she makes for her performances on the court. She makes far more for her appearances at corporate events for HSBC and the like. It's eye watering. She's taken her off the ball so to speak.

Wow, anyone just seen Djokovic making a tit of himself at his post match interview on centre court?

Accuses the crowd of booing him when they were calling Rune's name, then doubles down when told this, exhibiting a certain amount of paranoia:D

Djoko's litle tantrum at the crowd there in his press intervew was quite unedifying. The crowd weren't booing him. They were chanting the other player's name. A bit like when you go to the cricket and Joe Root comes out to bat it's ROOOOOOOT, ROOOOOT'. It might sound like booing but it's quite the opposite.

What a dick. 'You can't touch me' :facepalm:

Just watched Djokovic win. He is paranoid, convinced that the Rune fans were booing when they were actually chanting Ruuuune.

E2A Looks like everyone else saw it too!

Asked about his dealings with the crowd, Djokovic thanks “all the fans that have respect and stayed her tonight, thanks you very much fro the bottom of my heart, I appreciate it. And to all those who have chosen to disrespect a player, in this case me, have a gooooooood night! … Goooooodnight! Goooooodnight! Very gooooood night!”

To his credit, Rishi Persad wonders if they were just cheering Rune, not dissing him. “They were, they were, I don’t accept it,” says Djokovic. “Nonono. I know they were cheering for Rune but that’s an excuse, they also boo. Listen, I’ve been on the tour for more than 20 years so trust me, I know all the tricks, I know how it works. It’s fine, it’s fine, it’s OK. I focused on respectful people that have respect that paid a ticket to come along and watch tonight and love tennis. And love tennis. And appreciate the efforts that the players put in here. I played in much more hostile environments, trust me, you guys can’t touch me.”

On another note, it turns out Nick Kyrgios is quite a talented and insightful commentator. Didn't have him down for that...!

Djoko's litle tantrum at the crowd there in his press intervew was quite unedifying. The crowd weren't booing him. They were chanting the other player's name. A bit like when you go to the cricket and Joe Root comes out to bat it's ROOOOOOOT, ROOOOOT'. It might sound like booing but it's quite the opposite.

What a dick. 'You can't touch me' :facepalm:
Wasnt he best interview to date

On another note, it turns out Nick Kyrgios is quite a talented and insightful commentator. Didn't have him down for that...!
Yes, he is a good commentator, despite being a tool in many other ways, and I hope they keep him. He's both insightful and funny.

McEnroe needs putting out to grass though - his mispronunciations (which I suspect are deliberate) grate, but his rambling pub bore style, talking over points and coming up with irrelevant comments, is worse.

Damn, I wish I’d been home for that Paolini Vekic match, it sounded awesome. Hopefully I can get it on catch up.

Damn, I wish I’d been home for that Paolini Vekic match, it sounded awesome. Hopefully I can get it on catch up.
It was a brilliant match. Wide open right until the end. I really feel for Vekic, she gave it her all and seemed to be hampered by a wrist injury. Pleased for Paolini though, her second slam final this year!

Back
Top Bottom