Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Generic Tennis Thread

Four years is a long ban. It seems to have taken an inordinately long time to reach this conclusion.

I have nothing against any of the other British male players, but I always find Evans about a hundred times more enjoyable to watch and likeable even when he’s having a shit game.
I've always enjoyed watching Evans play - I used to watch him play in the Challengers. I think one of the reasons I enjoy watching him is that he's my height (short-arse, in tennis terms) and uses a lot of backhand slice. It's like watching me play, but with talent! :D

He can't rely on a big serve (even though he makes the most of his limited height) and doesn't have the weight of shot other bigger players have so has to play tactically with precision. It's beautiful when he's playing at his best.

Anyone watching the Davis Cup (it's on iPlayer)?

Evans has been phenomenal!

Anyone watching the Davis Cup (it's on iPlayer)?

Evans has been phenomenal!
Yep, didn’t see Draper v Kokki but watched most of Evo’s win against De Minaur.

Naomi Broady had a dig at Evo’s height in the post match interview :D

Evo’s back on court in the Dubs now!

I was a bit surprised they were playing the doubles but apparently if the points are level at the and of the week, the number of sets won is how it's decided.

Did anyone else catch the Next Gen tournament on Prime?

The final was quite exciting with Serbian Djokovic protege Hamad Medjedovic beating the obvious favourite, Frenchman Arthur Fils in five sets. In a year or so's time, I can see both Fils and Medjedovic being top twenty or even higher.

Just watched Emma Raducanu dismantle Diane Parry in the BJK Cup, wow! A brilliant three setter, she showed incredible resolve.

Nadal’s (in all probability) last ever match at Roland Garros right now. Not only he’s playing Zverev in the first round, but at the time when the German has been enjoying the best tennis of his career.

Just realised I can watch it on Eurosport, I'm so happy! We don't have any sports package so I never bother scrolling up to those channels.

Long way back for Nadal, but he's hit some cracking winners so far.

Moutet is a very watchable player, but annoying. I reckon he fancies himself as the French Kyrgios!

Did anyone stay up to see Djokovic v Musetti last night? It was absolutely epic.

A shame Medvedev is out - he's a much more interesting player than de Minaur.

Had to miss it due to being on a plane :D

Djoko pulls out of with a knee injury.

Defending champion Novak Djokovic has withdrawn from the French Open before his quarter-final with a knee injury.

Serbia’s Djokovic had a scan for the injury [today]... The scan revealed Djokovic has a "torn medial meniscus" in his right knee, said French Open organisers.

Haven't been paying a lot of attention, but didn't he have two successive 5-set matches, including one which finished past 3am?? :eek:

Had wondered whether he'd be able to keep going, given he's now 37, even accounting for his well-documented fitness levels.

Sounds like it was also somewhat precautionary, sacrificing the Open rather than potentially further jeopardise an Olympic run on the same courts in a couple of months, post-Wimbledon.

It remains to be seen if he will able to regain fitness in time for Wimbledon, where he is a seven-time champion.

The grass-court championships start at the All England Club on 1 July.

The Paris 2024 Olympics starts at Roland Garros on 27 July.

Djokovic has never won Olympic gold and made no secret that it was a key priority this year.

Felt very sorry for Sabalenka, Andreeva is good but she's not fully cooked yet. But maybe she will have a chance against Paulini..... then get eaten alive by Gauff or Swiatek!

Haven't been paying a lot of attention, but didn't he have two successive 5-set matches, including one which finished past 3am?? :eek:
I can't help thinking that if he had pulled out of the last one halfway through, when it was clear he was injured, instead of hammering down loads of painkillers because he was insistent on beating Cerundolo, maybe the knee wouldn't be quite so fucked now :rolleyes:

Some match between Sinner and Alcaraz earlier :eek:

Ruud seems to be wilting in this other semi, which is a shame as I'd rather he won.

Some match between Sinner and Alcaraz earlier :eek:

Ruud seems to be wilting in this other semi, which is a shame as I'd rather he won.
I was surprised Ruud didn't retire - he didn't look well at all. Such a shame. A one-sided match although it was more interesting than the football when we turned over!

Hoping Alcaraz beats Zverev on Sunday.

Jasmine Paolini is an unexpected finalist tomorrow although she has really risen in the rankings recently. I would love to see her pull off an upset.

Great third set. Enjoying this.

Didn't know that Zverev is a type 1 diabetic. Kudos to him for the discipline to be a professional athlete given that. Time was that kids were told they couldn't do elite sports if they were diabetic. The likes of Gary Mabbutt were really important in dispelling that idea. Zverev now.

I thought at the beginning of the tournament Alcaraz didn’t have a chance to make it past the third round given that he’s not at 100%. I feel sorry for Zverev as I think he’s had the better tournament, and he didn’t do that much wrong here, but there you are.

Back
Top Bottom