Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Generic Tennis Thread

Absolutely amazing performance from Murray. And Kokkinakis too.

Some top players out (Nadal, Ruud, Fritz, etc) so could be Medvedev's to lose if Djokovic loses or pulls out through injury. Or a new slam winner. Potentially exciting stuff.

Heads up, Sir Andy's conjuring up another epic.

Couldn't move in the 1st set, came from a break down and saved set points in the 2nd. Now he's warmed up it's turning into a classic (again)

It was fun while it lasted.

The mind, experience and tennis ability of a world number 1 in the body of an arthritic pensioner. That he's still able to mix it with some seriously good players shows just how much tennis is a mental sport. Bravo Murray, onto the next.

As is always the way with the Australian and US Opens, I have got into an even more late to bed, late to rise rhythm than usual! Saw Rublev defeat Evans last night , followed by Donna Vekic (who looks very strong this year) then the Tsitsipas brothers losing their doubles match. Then missed Andy Murray. :D

Despite the loss Stefanos Tsitsipas looks strong and is probably a big contender for the title should Djokovic go out. Novax hasn't faced a real threat yet AFAICS (haven't managed to see him).

Djokovic's biggest threat is his own fitness. He may have won in 3 sets but there were numerous physio breaks for hamstring issues and his movement was restricted. If and when he has to really push himself his body might not take it.

Djokovic's biggest threat is his own fitness. He may have won in 3 sets but there were numerous physio breaks for hamstring issues and his movement was restricted. If and when he has to really push himself his body might not take it.
If he gets past De Minaur (likely I think) he will then face Rublev or Rune, which could really test him. I am not mad on Rune but he's an absolutely fantastic player and likely to be a huge star. Rublev also looked good against Evans last night.

Flag of an ultra-nationalist paramilitary terror group, guilty of multiple war crimes currently being waved by Djokovic fans in the Aus Open final

FCC0344E-43C5-4667-BAE6-8082141C3B28.jpeg

Good thread on why it's so awful here:

Intriguing edition of Roland Garros without Nadal. Alcaraz looking imperious in this opening round. Favourite but not invincible by any means. Djoko will be Djoko, and Sinner has (I believe) a better head to head against him.

Intriguing edition of Roland Garros without Nadal. Alcaraz looking imperious in this opening round. Favourite but not invincible by any means. Djoko will be Djoko, and Sinner has (I believe) a better head to head against him.
I sort of haven't really clocked Nadal's absence yet, as it's still the first round, but it will be strange to see the quarter finals onwards with no Nadal. Do you think he will come back next year (generally, not just to RG)? I'm not so sure. :(

Sad to see Thiem, once seen as a likely future champion, go out in the first round.

But I'm enjoying it so far.

My fucking gosh, the Monfils match that has just finished has to be a candidate for one of the greatest first round matches of all time. The crowd were absolutely fucking electric. I strongly recommend everyone to check out highlights on YouTube tomorrow :)

My fucking gosh, the Monfils match that has just finished has to be a candidate for one of the greatest first round matches of all time. The crowd were absolutely fucking electric. I strongly recommend everyone to check out highlights on YouTube tomorrow :)
Will have to check out the highlights. I saw about five minutes of it due to getting drawn into Monteiro v Hanffmann which went to five sets but wasn't terribly exciting tennis wise :D

Can't believe Medvedev is out already, to the world number 172.

Hoping Wawrinka can beat Kokkinakis tomorrow. I lost 4.5 hours of my life to watching Wawrinka yesterday, so hope it's worth it!

Medvedev‘s match was great as well. Both players were affected by the wind and it was a proper seesaw affair.

Alcaraz-Djokovic semifinal though …

CoarseMistyAbyssiniancat-size_restricted.gif

Alcaraz-Djokovic semifinal though …

CoarseMistyAbyssiniancat-size_restricted.gif
Alcaraz looked virtually unbeatable tonight! And he ripped through Musetti the other day. I thought Musetti stood a chance but it was a rout (and not the most interesting match).

Did anyone see Haddad Maia v Sorribes Tormo yesterday? Absolute corker.

I've got into a serious tennis loop the last few weeks, first Nottingham and now Queen's. Just finished watching Alcaraz dismantle Seb Korda. Lots of interesting players to watch at the moment - Rune/De Minaur was also excellent.

I've got into a serious tennis loop the last few weeks, first Nottingham and now Queen's. Just finished watching Alcaraz dismantle Seb Korda. Lots of interesting players to watch at the moment - Rune/De Minaur was also excellent.
Indeed! Got into following Jodie Burrage at Nottingham and Venus in Birmingham. I am in awe of Venus who is 43 and managed to beat Camila Giorgi and really challenge Jelena Ostapenko, both excellent players.

At the risk of stating the very obvious, it will be interesting to see if anyone can challenge Djokovic for the Wimbledon title.

Brilliant final so far. I really like watching de Minaur, he's so wily around the court. Fascinating watching them try to get inside each other's game.

Brilliant final so far. I really like watching de Minaur, he's so wily around the court. Fascinating watching them try to get inside each other's game.
de Minaur should be higher up the ATP rankings the way he’s been playing all week. Feels like a top-10 player right now.

I have found the commentary at Queen's really irritating though :D How many times do we need to hear about Seb Korda's sporting family ffs?

Here’s a general quiz question for ya all I haven’t managed to get an answer for from the internets yet: when did players start the habit of examine the available balls before every serve? I was a kid in the 80s so my memory is limited but I’m not sure I remember the likes of McEnroe or Lendl requesting balls from the ball kids to pick their preferred ones…

Good Cincinnati final so far between Djokovic and Alcaraz. The former up to his usual tricks of long toilet breaks and looking like he might not just have to retire, but driven to A&E due to heatstroke after losing the first set, only to miraculously recover his energy levels to that of an 18 y.o. athlete on speed :D

Good Cincinnati final so far between Djokovic and Alcaraz. The former up to his usual tricks of long toilet breaks and looking like he might not just have to retire, but driven to A&E due to heatstroke after losing the first set, only to miraculously recover his energy levels to that of an 18 y.o. athlete on speed :D
Unbelievable turnaround from Djokovic.

I thought he was going to drop dead on court in the first set!

Could be anyone's now.

Back
Top Bottom